User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #661
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 515
Maybe Honda has figured it out...

I'm one of the few DN-01 owners who like that bike... bought mine new in '11 at just over $8K, and for that price it was a good deal. I've taken a couple of long day trips on mine, but the real sweet spot is around-town riding. It is my commuting vehicle of choice, or for any riding that I don't actually have to be on the interstate. What kills me is the wind blast; it's very fatiguing after a couple of hours with the factory windshield. But, what a super-easy bike to ride.

The CTX700N is basically the same bike, with a different auto transmission, a motor that isn't quite as powerful but gets significantly better mileage, and a chain drive instead of a shaft. IMO the DN-01 looks higher-end; Honda did a great job with the bodywork/detailing if you like that sort of thing. I think there is a market for new, older riders, who want an easy-handling motorcycle that isn't scary. My current long distance bike is a Yamaha FJR1300AE, but I would never have bought this bike without having gotten some experience on the DN-01. The FJR isn't an easy bike for new riders, and it isn't easy for short riders either.

I'd like to ride a CTX and see if I like it, but what I really want Honda to do is to bring the VFR1200 Crosstourer DCT to the USA. Or, better yet, create a parallel 3-cylinder version of the engine in the CTX, and offer a scaled-up 1000cc version with DCT, dual brakes, and bigger hard panniers. That would make a great tourer... a mini-Gold Wing. But, I can't see myself trading in my DN-01 for what is essentially the same bike, at the same new price.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #662
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
.... a mini-Gold Wing. But, I can't see myself trading in my DN-01 for what is essentially the same bike, at the same new price.
Bring back the original Wasserboxer I say.

Make it handle this time though. It should still get great economy.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #663
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Aside from the DCT, which is also available in the NC700 series and the VFR1200, the big issue is the super comfortable riding position of the CTX. Honda took a bike that does not look like a cruiser or a touring bike (Goldwing) and made it comfortable. Hopefully it will attract a lot of people who can't afford a Goldwing, and don't like the looks or image of cruisers, but do want to ride in comfort, don't need to take the whole house with them, and don't plan on going to the track. The manual transmission unfaired version is basically a standard.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #664
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Just an interesting local experience. Since I bought my DCT NC700x, my wife wants to look at a DCT CTX. Our local dealer (in Bremerton, WA) says the CTX's won't be released until July 8. She found two other dealers in Marysville and Everett that say they have them now but won't carry the DCT because they don't sell. If you want one, you have to order it. I have a feeling we will be "window shopping" Friday or Saturday at one of these two.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #665
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #666
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Did our "window shopping" for the day.

I found it very comfortable to sit on. My bottom and spinal cord felt an order of magnitude better than on my NC700x with rox risers and a custom seat. The seat is soft and gel-like. I don't think I've ever sat on a stock seat like it. It is like sitting on a tall cruiser but it didn't feel top heavy. Your feet are forward but much lower than the cruisers I've been on.

The frunk could hold maybe a pair of gloves, wallet, and a cell phone but that is it. Hinshaws has a demo bike. Either way, we are going to sell her VSTAR 950 next. After that we will arrange for a demo. I think she has it narrowed down between this and a Silverwing. I like the seating position on both.

BTW, I'm about 5' 8", 29" inseam.

ctx1

ctx2

ctx3
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #667
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Went to a dealer yesterday to look at the CTX in Black, and as I thought, the forward foot controls caused immediate aching in my lower back, something that makes riding no fun for me. It was a nice looking bike and the handle bar position was very comfortable, but those pegs, ugh...a deal breaker.
To me it looks like it could be really nice with a rider backrest, painful without. I think I saw rider backrest was an option.

Curious what range people get with these. Too bad both fuel capacity and frunk space are less than the NC700x. It could still be a great commuter.
davidji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #668
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,863
I finally got to check one out yesterday and was duly impressed. The weight seemed to be carried VERY low. The bike felt very light at rest. I want them to make a full on touring dresser model.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #669
JerryH
Banned

I sat on the CTX and was a perfect fit. But then I have put 160,000 miles on Vulcan 750s, a mid '80s cruiser. The riding position is what attracts me to this bike. The seat did not see to be as comfortable as the Vulcan's, but since I did not get to ride it, It's hard to tell. What this bike needs is a rider backrest. That makes the feet forward riding position 10 times more comfortable, and for me it is already way more comfortable than the lean forward/rearset peg riding position. My back is fine. My knees and shoulders are not.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #670
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I would have a hard time not buying the CTX700N with the automatic (I have severe arthritis which makes shifting in town a pain, literally) if it came without ABS. I believe the ABS can be disabled, but it is still seriously over complicated, and expensive things can go wrong with it that don't happen with regular brakes. I've heard of ABS failures on BMWs costing thousands $$$ to fix.
so your arthritis makes an automatic desirable but you won't be caught dead on a bike with ABS. right on.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #671
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
so your arthritis makes an automatic desirable but you won't be caught dead on a bike with ABS. right on.
He doesn't wear a seat belt when he drives either. He might get trapped if his car gets submerged or catches ablaze.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #672
JerryH
Banned

I am still quite capable of doing my own braking. I've been practicing for over 40 years and nearly half a million miles. You can get killed doing anything. I don't want a computer controlling my bike. I don't like the idea of an automatic either, but if it comes to that or stop riding, the choice is obvious. But I learned to ride on dirt bikes, and locking the wheels to do slides and stoppies was part of the deal. The commercial for one of Honda's new bikes shows dirt bike style riding on the street. Obviously it does not have ABS. Yet everyone on this whole site wants one. But me.

I do wear seatbelts, mostly because it is a $250 fine around here if you get caught not wearing them. But, I also watched a cop burn to death when his Crown Vic was in a minor accident, caught on fire, and his seatbelt jammed. He probably had over 30 seconds to get out, but couldn't. It was a surreal feeling, hearing the ammunition in the car going off, knowing someone was dying in there. But the heat was so intense you couldn't get near the car. Hopefully he passed out from the heat and didn't feel anything afterwards. Seatbelts can save your life, or they can get you killed. Depends on the accident.

Information on the cop: http://chandlerpd.com/about/memorial/ He's the one in the middle, Rob Nielsen. I arrived on the scene less than a minute after the collision in a City of Chandler fleet services truck. The cop had passed me about half a mile back. I parked the truck in the road, turned on the amber beacon light, and ran toward the car, but it was to hot to get close to. Shortly after I heard the ammo going off. Witnesses who actually witnessed the accident said they thought he had time to get out. He would be alive today had he not been wearing a seatbelt.

If seatbelts save so many lives, why don't school buses have them? Are our kids not worth protecting? Why can you ride on a city bus standing up?

Back when I was 16, myself and a cousin also my age has been to a party out in the desert, drinking and smoking pot, and generally getting pretty messed up. I had my dad's car, a 1963 Rambler station wagon. We left the party at about 2:00 AM, driving back home on a dirt road I knew well. I had the pedal to the floor, so we must have been doing about 70. The headlights were not that great. We were not wearing seat belts. All of a sudden a sharp 90 degree right turn appeared in front of us. I knew about it, but never thought about it. I slammed on the brake and turned the wheel all the way to the right, trying to side around the curve, but was going to fast. On the left side of the road was a deep ditch, then a high bank. The car skidded into the ditch, rolled over, up the bank, and rolled over 2-3 more times out into the desert. It came to rest on it's wheels. As I remember it, the doors were jammed, and we crawled out the broken windows. We were cut and bruised, but not a single broken bone. By the time someone found us the next morning, the effects of the booze and pot had worn off, and we really hurt then. We were taken to the hospital, checked over, bandaged up a bit, and released. No serious injuries found. And we were tumbling around in that car like clothes in a dryer. I was much more concerned about what I was going to tell my dad than about my painful but minor injuries. Before the early '60s, cars had no seat belts. So most people probably wound up eventually getting killed in their cars, right? No, actually study after study has shown virtually no difference. My mistake was driving in the condition I was in, not failing to wear seat belts.

JerryH screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 11:36 AM
Old 07-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #673
JerryH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
Yep, I'm just the opposite...being an older guy, I had to get rid of the r1100r because it scrunched up underneath me to the point that they would cramp up within 10 miles...loved the bike, but couldn't really take the torture, even with footpeg lowering blocks.

Went to the Honda dealer today. He had two CTXs, one red, one black...the unfaired version (has a faired version still being put together from the crate). I found the seating position and leg position very comfortable. I'm not fond of the amount of plastic on the bike, since that means additional cost for servicing or having to take all that off to get to service points, but then, I ride a Honda Silverwing, so I guess I really can't complain a lot. The price is very reasonable...way less than a replacement SWing or a Suzuki Burgman...might have to give one of these some serious consideration...
Same situation as me. I have bad knees and shoulders (it is actually so bad that I'm retiring next year at 55, just can't handle being a mechanic 8 hours a day anymore) Having my legs all scrunched up underneath me, and a good part of my upper body weight supported by my arms due to low bars just kills my knees and shoulders. But I discovered the comfort of cruisers way back in 1980, when I got my first one, brand new, long before I wound up in this condition. I have a 34" inseam, so my knees are almost at a 90 degree angle on it. I can see how someone with a 29" inseam wouldn't like it. I've tried those WAY out front highway pegs, that leave your legs almost straight and unsupported. They hurt too. I also like the Silverwing riding position. A SW should last forever and never need to be replaced.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #674
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,156
Picked up a CTX on Tuesday. Due to the weather and leaving for the holiday, haven't been able to put on any miles. Should be able to get out Monday.

Any other owners here?
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #675
TOzman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Took one for a test ride

Went over to the Honda dealer while visiting my father over Thanksgiving, and the owner offered a ride on their demo with DCT. Now, I've had 9 Harleys ranging from a sporty all the way up to an Ultra; 2 Goldwings, a Valkryie, and four Beemers, including a R1200RT, R1200GS, and K1200GT.

Bottom line: This was probably the most comfortable motorcycle, ergonomically speaking, that I have ever sat on. Only went for a few miles since it was 32 degrees out and I wasn't dressed for the occasion, but was duly impressed by both the bike and the DCT. In sport mode, the trans actually shifted later than I would have if I were shifting manually.

While I still believe a NC700X is in my future, I would not be upset to have CTX.

Just my .02 cents.

Tim
TOzman is offline   Reply With Quote