ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #1156
Magpie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
best cable set-up

Noob alert!! Aye Carumba it's a confusing world of wires out there. Can someone point me towards the best cable set-up to hard wire the Nuvi 1490T to my bikes? There's so many ways to go about it and I'm confused. Touratech has an option ($50 of course)... is that the best way to go? I have two bikes so would like to move the gps between them but not necessarily the wiring.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #1157
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Noob alert!! Aye Carumba it's a confusing world of wires out there. Can someone point me towards the best cable set-up to hard wire the Nuvi 1490T to my bikes? There's so many ways to go about it and I'm confused. Touratech has an option ($50 of course)... is that the best way to go? I have two bikes so would like to move the gps between them but not necessarily the wiring.
My quick and dirty solution was to buy a small USB cigarette charger that I plug into a Powerlet to cigarette lighter adapter and then just plug my short usb gps cable into that. Not pretty but it works.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #1158
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,264
I hope some can help me with this please.
Every time I send Way points to the Nuvi 2595 it creates a category "date/time stamp" in my favorites.
I do you get rid of these annoying dates?

Thanks
Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #1159
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,264
Figured mit out

Well figured it out.

I went into Basecamp double clicked on each waypoint and sure enough under the tab "References" each waypoint was listed under a different and several lists.
The waypoints were listed in a bunch of "Dates".

I just clicked the little x and made sure the list was what I wanted and was good to go.

I just wished you could open a bunch of waypoints at the same time and edit them at the same time.

But this worked just fine.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #1160
Magpie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
My quick and dirty solution was to buy a small USB cigarette charger that I plug into a Powerlet to cigarette lighter adapter and then just plug my short usb gps cable into that. Not pretty but it works.
That's exactly what I'm ending up doing. I already had the Powerlet - fished it under the tank today so everything will fit.
Thanks much. Frances
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #1161
bross
Where we riding to?

Screen flipping 3550

I've been using my 3550 more on the bike but one thing is bothering me. As I ride and lean into a corner the Nuvi will flip the screen sideways and basically stay that way until I come to a stop, then it will flip right way up again. It's not a problem on a highway, but when in town trying to read street names it can be a pain. Is there a way to lock the screen? I've been through every menu and read every manual and FAQ I could find.

I used my older 1450 for two weeks riding through Costa Rica and never had a problem with the screen flipping. I'd go back to using to the 1450 but can't upload routes created in BaseCamp to it like I can with the 3550. Thanks for any info or help.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #1162
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
I have a similar cord question to what was just asked... I'm running a Garmin Nuvi 1250.

My bike runs off AC only, so thus hardwiring for me is not an option I want to undertake. I am looking at getting USB Mobile Power Tube to extend my battery life seen here:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Juicebar-M...-Tube/21576589

I noticed when I plug my GPS into my USB on my computer, the GPS immediately switches over to 'connecting to computer mode' thus rendering the GPS unusable. I imagine the same would ring true if I plugged it into the power tube.

How can I get around this, and get the GPS to run off an extended battery power via USB?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #1163
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
I noticed when I plug my GPS into my USB on my computer, the GPS immediately switches over to 'connecting to computer mode' thus rendering the GPS unusable. I imagine the same would ring true if I plugged it into the power tube.

How can I get around this, and get the GPS to run off an extended battery power via USB?
the garmin power cord has circuitry built in that should allow the gps to run in proper gps mode when hooked up to a computer. if i want it to go into data mode, i usually have to allow it to boot up, then pull the cord then reinsert. occasionally i've had to to do this two or even three times to get it into data mode.

if you use a generic usb cord, it will only go into data mode as the necessary circuitry is missing in the cord.you'll get the same results whether the power source is your computer, bike battery or plugging into the wall.

garmin charge a ridiculous amount for their power cords but there are cheap copies on ebay for around $10 to $15. make sure the gps will definitely run though... they usually say so in the ads. the circuitry in the stock garmin cord is a visible lump in the cord, whereas the cheap aftermarket ones have it built into the plastic casing so you can't see it.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #1164
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I've been using my 3550 more on the bike but one thing is bothering me. As I ride and lean into a corner the Nuvi will flip the screen sideways and basically stay that way until I come to a stop, then it will flip right way up again. It's not a problem on a highway, but when in town trying to read street names it can be a pain. Is there a way to lock the screen? I've been through every menu and read every manual and FAQ I could find.

I used my older 1450 for two weeks riding through Costa Rica and never had a problem with the screen flipping. I'd go back to using to the 1450 but can't upload routes created in BaseCamp to it like I can with the 3550. Thanks for any info or help.
I did some research and the 3550 uses a gyro to automatically flip the screen with no way to disable the auto flipping. More research and I find the 2595 will flip the screen but it's a manual setting. Perfect. Only done a few rides but the 2595 works very well on the bike. No screen flipping, and for some reason I can use the screen with my gloves on, never could with the 3550. The 2595 takes any routes I create in Basecamp and has the TripPlanner for doing multi stop routes on the gps itself. This will be a good bike gps and I'll just cover it with a sandwich baggie if it rains. I picked it up using points from one of our cards so basically didn't cost anything and beats spending $700 for a Zumo.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #1165
easygojoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
the garmin power cord has circuitry built in that should allow the gps to run in proper gps mode when hooked up to a computer. if i want it to go into data mode, i usually have to allow it to boot up, then pull the cord then reinsert. occasionally i've had to to do this two or even three times to get it into data mode.

if you use a generic usb cord, it will only go into data mode as the necessary circuitry is missing in the cord.you'll get the same results whether the power source is your computer, bike battery or plugging into the wall.

garmin charge a ridiculous amount for their power cords but there are cheap copies on ebay for around $10 to $15. make sure the gps will definitely run though... they usually say so in the ads. the circuitry in the stock garmin cord is a visible lump in the cord, whereas the cheap aftermarket ones have it built into the plastic casing so you can't see it.
Ha ha. So true. I'm so dense that I have this garmin Nuvi 855 that my wife bought me about five years ago; and we really don't use it in the car anymore (due to smartphones) so it was just sitting there. I plugged her in to my 250l using a generic usb, and got tremendously frustrated with the way it worked. It would go dark screen, and then I had to unplug it to get it to show the maps, then plug it back in to keep it charged. Incredibly frustrated (having to take gloves off and on to do all that). It never dawned on me that it was the USB plug. What a dolt. But then I read somewhere about the usb mode. I used the power cord supplied with the Nuvi, and the little snap on clip that accepts the 17mm ball and ordered a little handlebar mount for two bucks on ebay and VIOLA'.

It's like so many things. There are tons of things I would love to buy for my toy that are new and shiny and do all sorts of things, but in the end, I can't just toss something that works well, just because it's a few years old. I'm a cheap bastard and I'm the "drive em till the tires fall off" type of person.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #1166
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,584
speaking of Nuvis, there are some very good deals on the factory refurbished Garmin 2595 LMT. I picked one up for $115 at gpscity.com.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:33 AM   #1167
Bikerboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Will the garmin 2595 LMT pair with the Sena SMH10 ?
Although the 1490 is Bluetooth it doesn't pair
Bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #1168
markgsnw
WTF?

Bikerboy: pretty sure it will not, I think it just pairs with phones. Would love to be wrong about this. Good question for Sena.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #1169
markgsnw
WTF?

I take that back, I'm seeing Sena reviews where they are talking to. Garmins just fine. Hope to have a Sena setup soon to test out.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #1170
Bikerboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Cry

I do have the Sean setup & the 1490. I'm able to pair the 1490 with any phone device but will not pair with the Sena :-(
Bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote