Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #76
somejuan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Brought my first bike in '74 (pre-loved Kawasaki 250 A1 Samurai) and my most recent new bike F650 GS twin in '09. I've been riding a couple of years now and had a couple of bikes .... at 56 I've decided that growing old is obligatory but growing up is optional".

I'm not sure about pulling the birds any more .....seems to be the other way around these days. But then perhaps it always was :-)
somejuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #77
gs_lad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I m 32, owner of an f800 since March 2009.

I think its a good bike, in the sence that it has relatively low fuel consumption, has plenty of power, is very upgradable with tons of aftermarket stuff, and is generally well built.

The reason I bought it is that it was a modern version of the Africa twin, a bike which I was very fond of in my school years. I also wanted a bike capable of travelling with ease, loaded with luggage if necessary, in all kinds of roads.

The bmw badge is both a blessing and a curse.
Its a blessing in the sence that you generally get what you paid for, with maybe only a few compromises in quality.
Its a curse when it comes to maintenance costs, and in respect to many peoples perception of someone as a poser or a Nouveau riche for driving a vehicle with that badge.
gs_lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #78
seandiddy OP
Psshhh, Yeah!

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by somejuan View Post
i'm not sure about pulling the birds any more .....seems to be the other way around these days. But then perhaps it always was :-)
+12
seandiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #79
seandiddy OP
Psshhh, Yeah!

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs_lad View Post
The reason I bought it is that it was a modern version of the Africa twin, a bike which I was very fond of in my school years.
I was a young teen when I first heard of an Africa Twin. I hadn't even seen the bike and I was in love with it. I tried for a couple of years to find or build fairings that would get my KLR to resemble one... of course that just ended in a bunch of wasted time and money. I think you are right; the F800GS is a spiritual successor to the Twin.
seandiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #80
Adanac rider
The Great Gazoo

Oddometer: 83
I'm 54 . Just bought the factory lowered version. I had an 800 gs in 86 and could see the potential but didn't have anybody to ride with, so ended up selling it.Had a lot of dirt bikes.Out of all the bikes, I think I enjoyed a klx 650 for exploring the most.Trying to make a street legal 2-up verson has been my goal.klr-650,not very exciting.640-e nice on gravel but sucks on pavement.690,awesome for solo, but to stiff of suspention and cramped ergos 2-up.Newer klr-650,still no power but comfortable.F-800 gs short ass version,I think the search has ended and the farkling started,.
Adanac rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #81
Sohere
Adventurer

22 here, bought my f8gs in 2010. Had a lot of fun riding and modifiying the bike.
Can't complain as this was the first real decent bike I bought. Could have been worse

Greetings from Belgium!
Sohere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #82
gs_lad
Adventurer

Very nice looking bike Sohere...
Would it be easy for you to show us a little close up on the fog lights? They seem to be on the right place.
gs_lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:51 AM   #83
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
WHAT????? I've been putting up with all this crap from someone less than half my age!!!!!!!

F me.

Just hope I don't meet you. I'll show you what's what.
That is the beauty of internet my friend :o). But don't you worry IRL you'd be cleaning my shoes by now .

And don't you talk all sexy to me. I know that August is almost there, meaning that winter is coming but you won't get to abuse my young and innocent body with your weird fetishes just to keep you warm. I'll teach you some respect grandpa'
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #84
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,649
Loutre, I asked you not to do cross-forum posting. If you keep it up I'll tell your mère again. Remenber what happened last time? I'm not HotBlondeboy18 on this site ok?

Kids. Pheh.

I'm actually on the tail end of the 40's. Most think late 20's if I shave. Been riding enduros/dualsports all my life except that one time in College where I experimented with a street bike (Seca 400). I always use a bike not to run but to get away. The streets were boring to me as a kid and I always wondered what was "over there". The bike was a means to an end, a tool and it didn't matter what name was on the tank. Then I got into aviation and that became my tool for discovery till 9/11 made it too much of a hassle for me. Now I have my Adventure bike again. Kilter the F800GS. Still don't care about what badge on the (faux) tank says.

I'm used to not fitting in and it's the same scenario at every coffee shop I stop at while touring.......

Pull into the lot and notice the herd of Sheeple with cruisers are parked in the sun squinting at each other bitching about the heat and helmet laws. Blind from the reflections, they don't notice me cause my pipes aren't loud enough. I park beside a minivan in a spot where I don't have to wrestle the beast out of. Mommy grabs her daughter's hand tight to prevent either of them from running away with me and keeps looking back whether at me or her minivan life, I don't know. I walk around the Squids who parked either on the sidewalk or in front of the door, whichever gets them the most exposure and are busy whining about the power band needing more tensile strength after spending all weekend upgrading the turbo jets. They don't notice me because I didn't announce my arrival by repeatedly revving the shit out of my rich running ride. I grab a Double Double and sit down in a corner to contemplate my journey. The Old Timers huddle together to complain about change and try to steal the conversation with a loud "I remember when....". I finish my coffee and leave. Oh I'm friendly enough but maybe just a bit road weary.

The only time I feel a connection is when I stop at a scenic picnic table in some remote area and come across a hiker, cycler or adventurous SUV. Then the conversation is usually "Beautiful day eh?" followed by "Sure is." And in those few words a thousand thoughts are expressed.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 09:08 AM
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #85
oldone1942
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Intrested?

Nov 1942...Makes me 70 and some. In '62 got a Yamaha 250 thought it was great. Next came a Seca 750 Thought it was wonderful. Then 4 Goldwings I knew I had arrived. I made the mistake of riding a buddies '05 BMW K1200GT, I had to have one, well at that time I had to have my right hip replaced so I gave it up. MISTAKE! Went to a K1200LT, IT sits practically unused in the garage because I then I found this site and after reading Parallel Universe I bought the Ultimate in riding machines...
A '2009 BMW F800GS
NOW I know what Adventure is.

Thanks BMW!
oldone1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #86
Shropdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
59 x 2

My wife and I are both 59, she has a '09 F650GS and I just got rid of my R12GSA for a F800GS. In about 2 hours and 40 minutes to be exact, we are leaving for Gunnison, CO for a week on them.
Shropdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #87
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,993
Oct 4th, 2013

George

Plug and Plug.

Old_Lion screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 10:04 AM
Old_Lion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #88
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 523
I'm 66. Time flys!

My ride now is a 2010 F650GS with lowered suspension, Wilbers, Jessie, Sargent,, etc etc. I like to wander to remote places on the bike. Been to all the Canadian provinces except Nunuvit(sp), most of the US except the southern state..too hot is summer.

I do back roads and dirt roads the the F650GS is perfect for that. Comfortable enough for 5 or 6 hundred mile days, light enough to move around if you have to. My other ride is a Harley XLCR. That is a test do you know what it is??

I started riding at 15 on a Rockford Silver Pigeon, sold Bridgestone's for money while in college. Rode Bultacos in the dirt, collected Ducati singles for while (dam bevel gears on crank shafts). Many honda's, kawasaki's, others and couple of BMW RTs in between.

Next trip with be to Barber Classic races in Oct.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #89
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion View Post

George
Awesome .
I am 35 . Riding since mid 20's .

Love to be riding a loaded adv bike at 79
Old 06-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #90