Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
Reese
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
my us-10 and us-20 are here..
great pieces of kit.. however, im struggling to figure out how best to mount them. i didnt really pay attention before today, but ive now discovered there is no exposed sub frame under the rear of the seat.

so where are you guys strapping the loop straps?

just looping them under the seat doesnt work well, and i cant figure out how else to attach them securely.

any suggestions?
My US-20 showed up today and had the same experience. The seat has been off countless times but never noticed lack of access to the frame. Did you figure this one out?
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
crunchiespg OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
My US-20 showed up today and had the same experience. The seat has been off countless times but never noticed lack of access to the frame. Did you figure this one out?
I don't think there is a good way unless you have some sort of external pannier rack.

I love the kreigas. But I just don't think they will work on this bike so I'm either selling them to my dad or they'll be on the flea market here.

For everyday use I'm just gonna strap a cube like zip up bag of some sort to the rear rack. And then for when more loaded just use two ortlieb rack packs held on with rok straps.
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #18
Cris
AB+

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Can't remember the configuration of my 990 seat right off hand when it's off the bike, but wouldn't you be able to run one or two 1 inch webbing straps (with quick release buckles) under the seat when it's off and then place the seat back on?

The webbing should be low-profile enough, and given that you are not carrying mason blocks, it should not stress out the seat too much if you are careful...

Just a thought if you have no other options.
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #19
crunchiespg OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Can't remember the configuration of my 990 seat right off hand when it's off the bike, but wouldn't you be able to run one or two 1 inch webbing straps (with quick release buckles) under the seat when it's off and then place the seat back on?

The webbing should be low-profile enough, and given that you are not carrying mason blocks, it should not stress out the seat too much if you are careful...

Just a thought if you have no other options.
i tried that and it just diesnt sit right. and to crank the bag down securly it pulls the sides of the seat up..
Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
ABuck99

Oddometer: 486
Alternatively Moose Racing has a nice series of bags available- the pillion bag is a good size for the back seat area:

http://www.mooseracing.com/products/...d=2484&product
Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #21
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
my us-10 and us-20 are here..
great pieces of kit.. however, im struggling to figure out how best to mount them. i didnt really pay attention before today, but ive now discovered there is no exposed sub frame under the rear of the seat.

so where are you guys strapping the loop straps?

just looping them under the seat doesnt work well, and i cant figure out how else to attach them securely.

any suggestions?
Don't give up on the Kriegas. I've pretty much every combination of the US series available and they work well wherever you hang them. On my 950SE and Duke I use the rear rack, but on my '12 690EnduroR I use their rack loops. They mount to the plastics and are as close to flush mounted as you can get. Even though there have been numerous dirt naps taken, the combination continues to perform without problems.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #22
Reese
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey_BS View Post
Don't give up on the Kriegas. I've pretty much every combination of the US series available and they work well wherever you hang them. On my 950SE and Duke I use the rear rack, but on my '12 690EnduroR I use their rack loops. They mount to the plastics and are as close to flush mounted as you can get. Even though there have been numerous dirt naps taken, the combination continues to perform without problems.
I'm going to have a go at the US-20 on a stock 990 this weekend. I'll post pics if I find a good solution.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #23
Reese
Adventurer

Quote:
I'm going to have a go at the US-20 on a stock 990 this weekend. I'll post pics if I find a good solution.
I was able to make it work by attaching the rear loops to the forward attachment points in in the stock tail plate and the front loops to the grab handles where they meet the body.

The trick is to get the loops attached snugly to the grab rails so that they can't "turn the corner" and slip up the rail. I haven't cut the straps yet in case I decide to make a change. I've been riding around like this for a week with various loads in the bag without any problems.

Front attachment:

Rear attachment:

Old 06-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #24
crunchiespg OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I was able to make it work by attaching the rear loops to the forward attachment points in in the stock tail plate and the front loops to the grab handles where they meet the body.

The trick is to get the loops attached snugly to the grab rails so that they can't "turn the corner" and slip up the rail. I haven't cut the straps yet in case I decide to make a change. I've been riding around like this for a week with various loads in the bag without any problems.

Front attachment:

Rear attachment:
unfortunately that defeats the point of using these bags for me. i need to keep the rear rack clear as i already have a rack mounted on there..

i'm selling my kriegas.. which is a shame as they are nice bags... just not for me on the ktm.