Old 06-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #31
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post

is yours tiny? Mine's tiny

and she sleeps on the back a lot

she could never have her own bike - she'd fall asleep on it leaving the parking lot of PHO 4000.
Thats Hilarious! how the hell does/can anyone go to sleep on the back of a MC, AT SPEED!?
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #32
BanhXeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Hey I went to college in Chico, and my wife is Vietnamese. What the hell do you guys do in the summertime? I mean, besides your wife feeling like she is back in Saigon.... you don't put on jackets and RIDE do you?@!

is yours tiny? Mine's tiny

and she sleeps on the back a lot

she could never have her own bike - she'd fall asleep on it leaving the parking lot of PHO 4000.
I'm laughing so hard right now eatpasta. That is epic!

Ya shes tiny. In the summertime I work and ride and she just works. She tells me all the time she will never get on the motorcycle and that she hates them. She also knows that they make me very happy so puts up with them. She grew up on scooters in Vietnam, no one drives a car over there unless its for a business. She doesn't trust the drivers in the states with our oversized vehicles and lattes.

Do you ever come back up here to visit?
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #33
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post
Thats Hilarious! how the hell does/can anyone go to sleep on the back of a MC, AT SPEED!?
she goes into pretty crazy food coma, especially after typical biker breakfasts which generally consist of eggs, pancakes, bacon etc.
Then put her on the back of the GS with a gel seat and Elka suspension..... and she is in literally minutes. It seems like every time we get to the epic part of a ride, she is out light a light. I think this picture was the first time we had come to Big Sur together and I was talking to her, or at least I though I was. I look back and just see the bottom of her helmet. I have so many pics of her sleeping it hilarious.
I had to devise a system for our long rides the consists of both of our sleeping bags on top of the Givi top box so she can put her head back, then duffel bags on top of the Zega's so she has a kind of throne there in which to doze
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #34
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
I'm laughing so hard right now eatpasta. That is epic!
Do you ever come back up here to visit?
Glad you enjoyed it! I share that one whenever I can!!

We've come through there many times in the last few years. I took the wife to where I lived on Rio Chico in the summer when it was about 107.... she wasnt too impressed.
I came through there solo a few years ago when they rededicated the recording studio's at the university to a retiring professor and crashed with an ADV guy whose name eludes me at the moment. Super nice guy.
I love Chico. Love visiting Chico - not sure if I could live in Chico..... the summers are no joke dood.

and the wife and I honeymooned in Vietnam for 6 weeks, so I understand the term "warm" just fine......
Quote:
Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #35
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Hah! Hot in Chico? Ive never noticed.
I was born here,live in a 80 year old house with AC in only bedroom and office. It may get slightly warm but until it says 118 on the dial I dont notice. At that point I may fan myself some.

you'd fit right in on your trip to Vietnam.... that is as long as you like mosquito bites and cockroaches as well. Oh and bring an umbrella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I also cracked up right away at the sleeping wife picture!

I would maybe strap her to the bike just in case,Rok-Straps are great for that.
We were thinking of getting a big fat-man belt and just belting ourselves together

in Chico I miss; Morning Thunder, Burger Slut (Hut), Woodstocks, Sin of Cortez..... and $1 pitchers at La Salles!
Quote:
Old 06-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #36
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,778
Too funny guys...

My wife used to fall asleep on the back of our Suzuki Calvacade. I'd feel her head "klunk" into mine while we were riding. She loved to ride. She had arm rests that kept her from falling over. She was a big girl and I sure miss her. Had lot's of great times.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #37
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
she goes into pretty crazy food coma, especially after typical biker breakfasts which generally consist of eggs, pancakes, bacon etc.
I look back and just see the bottom of her helmet. I have so many pics of her sleeping it hilarious.
I had to devise a system ..
Thats great! Clearly you're a good team, a lot of trust & confidence there.
( Redog1 included )
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #38
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
Nice report!! That Foot Dragger guy knows some routes, and he definitely knows how to ride.

My wife used to fall asleep all the time on the back of the old Airhead. The best was coming back from Boise at 100 MPH, her snoozing away and not waking up until we were coming into Winnemucca.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #39
BanhXeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=eatpasta;21696099]Hey I went to college in Chico, and my wife is Vietnamese. What the hell do you guys do in the summertime? I mean, besides your wife feeling like she is back in Saigon.... you don't put on jackets and RIDE do you?@!

I had to dust this off and share. This was from our trip in Feb. 2012. We too stayed 6 weeks was the first time my wife had hugged her parents in 7 years. We got married officially here too a couple years before, but just down at the courthouse where we signed our names

Her and her brother are on the bike in front of us and I'm riding pillion on her dads bike. We were headed to get our wedding photos done. It was a 45 min scooter ride and I got her dress and my tux in a duffel on my back.

For those that don't know it is illegal to ride a motorized scooter there without a helmet. The helmets do not have a standard, so most are fashion statements and are a very thin, plyable piece of plastic. Also, there is no passenger limit per scooter and Children are not required to wear any sort of helmet...It is not uncommon to see a family of 4 scooting by at 35 mph on 1 bike. Watch for the guy carrying 40 cases of beer at 6:28.

This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188

BanhXeo screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 11:36 PM
Old 06-22-2013, 03:11 AM   #40
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Great country....

Those huge Redwoods! I just gotta ride up there to take a look myself.....
Thanks for those massive photos. I've gotta go......

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #41
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Bahnxeo, I have the same bike. I really like the white one.What sort of racks do you have the soft luggage attached to? Are those the origional varios?
chris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #42
BanhXeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris73 View Post
Bahnxeo, I have the same bike. I really like the white one.What sort of racks do you have the soft luggage attached to? Are those the origional varios?
I removed the Vario rack as I had purchased the Wolfman dry expedition bags 6 months earlier for my KTM. I wanted to give them some use since they hadn't seen much dirt. This is the rack system I use as of now. I do not have a cross brace for it. They are really sturdy as is. Might be something I pick up at a later date. I see some people sell there Vario rack online to help fund the purchase of a different brand rack system. http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index....product_id=144
Old 06-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #43
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
I need to read this later, when I have some more time. The picture of the wife should be on the front page.
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #44
BanhXeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This week was a little out of the ordinary for me. I had Tuesday and Thursday off from my "day job". I am a butcher for a large supermarket chain and work 40 hours every week for them. I made the switch to a union job about 7 years ago with the health benefits being the carrot on the stick. I have worked in restaurants for 15 years and love it. Love the people, love the food...Restaurant is not for everyone. An old chef buddy posted this on facebook a couple months ago about what you can expect from making a living in the restaurant business, and it is absolutely spot on http://www.scribd.com/doc/112033847/...t-being-a-chef

With the health benefits I get paid vacation weeks and 3 "floating" holidays. I opted to use one of those "holidays" Wednesday to help a buddy out so he would get his minimum amount of hours required to qualify for health benefits this week. It also gave me a 3 day weekend from that job. I used Wednesday as my "honey-do" day and since I hadn't ridden since Tuesday, I woke up early suited up and tried to decide where to ride. Couple cups of coffee and an hour or so later I decided I suck at taking time off and called my dad to see what he was doing. He is 1.5 hrs up the hill at Lake Almanor. I told him I had to be at the restaurant at 4pm, want to ride? He picked up a KLR 650 late last year and this has been the median for my dad and I to spend more time together. All my childhood he worked. Morning noon and night. When he got home from work there was always chores to be done. Needless to say that rubbed off on my brothers and I. He was headed out fishing but suggested I ride up Hwy 70 through the Feather River canyon to hwy 89 by the lake then down the hill via hwy 32. We did this road ride a few months ago and it is pretty. I was thinking some dirt but oh well daylight was burning so off I headed on the 99 towards Butte College and the hills beyond.

I should note here that I just RE-purchased the GoPro Hero 3 Black edition. I bought a hero 2 last year right before Vietnam trip and used it everywhere. There are extremely durable and amzingly portable and unhindering. I dropped my Hero 2 into a bucket of water at Calikattom's house a couple months ago during my "Test Ride" of the F800. Try as I did it never came back to life. They have a waterproof housing that works great but mine was not on at the time. So I had been looking into the hero 3 which records at 60 fps in 1080p it also has 2K and 4K cinematic, 12mp stills burst mode supports a 64gb micro sd card. They are amazing. The updates were not up to par until now, so I bought it.

First Bridge on the Feather River Highway. This is one by Lake Oroville, or I should say over it.

Climbing a bit out of the valley. The River is 1000 feet below you for a few miles on this stretch. It is a massive canyon and shaped by geological shifts and water erosion.

I enjoy taking the time to stop and read signboards, plaques, historical points of interest etc. I think that what people have done in different ages with different tools and different goals is absolutely amazing. Bridges are 1 thing that blow my mind on trips. Most of these masterpieces string 2 points in space that normally would never have been able to be accessed in succession . Most are built before we were born. I really love to see the army core of engineers plaque on the old concrete bridges. Most built in our area in 1936. This is right after the depression, and in the middle of high unemployment and low moral our country put people to work. Doing anything. This cause had a huge effect.

This is the bridge at Pulga. Single trackers and Dual sport riders are really familiar with this spot. You can connect over quite a few ridges and miles and miles of dirt from the turnoff...Rethinking this you can go most anywhere from anywhere up here. Its great.

Here's some shots from the point and shoot coming up to this point. You can see the highway cutting through the side of the canyon.

There was a couple of stretches on the ride that were under construction. This is one for a new guard rail. Was a nice break in the pace to stop and take in the scenery.

Western Fence Lizard (aka the Bluebelly lizard)

Self portrait

You are right up on the river for the rest of the highway. The road just follows its line. The whole canyon seems to change depending on the season. Spring is great with all the waterfalls coming down the slopes and glistening exposed rocks.

BanhXeo screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 10:26 PM
Old 06-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #45
BanhXeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There are a lot of bridges on Hwy 70. For almost every bridge there is a hydro electric powerplant.

Town of Storrie. There was a massive fire around here aptly named the Storrie Fire. I will elaborate more on it when I do an upcoming ride that will take us through part of the area.

Storrie Bridge: 1924 I believe

Another cool bridge. That's the train rail above.

Was a perfect day

I remember thinking right around here that although I was happy on this road, I could use a little dirt. Now as much as I like getting to where I am going, I enjoy finding a new way there...---Opportunity knocked.