Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
LifeScribe OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Wicked Help Negotiating on Bikes

Hi All,

After following this forum for a couple of years it's finally my turn to buy a bike

Right now, I've got 2 different F650's in the cross hairs:

#1 Bike #1: 2001 F650GS w/ ABS & 15k miles $3600-- body is in decent shape cosmetically but have a few concerns: bikes been sitting for a while so it needs a new chain + sprocket, there's rust on the rear wheel bolt (maybe this is normal- but if this were a car that would worry me), and it needs the 12k mile service + a battery. Seller was very receptive to book value minus cost of repairs. There's bluebook, nada, and a few other tools, but feel like BMW bikes are like Honda's, you always pay more than they book for.

Bike #2: 2007 F650GS-- mint, garage kept, one owner, 1.4k miles, $5k-- will offer $4650.

Goal is to keep this for a year and relearn to ride. Then in a year sell it and buy the R1200gs for a trip from Alaska to Argentina (a dream I'm finally starting to realize).

Either way, I'd like to purchase a bike that I can ride this year and sell for close to what I paid for it in a year. Any guidance on what I should pay for either of these would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Jeff
LifeScribe is offline   Reply With Quote