Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
duckboy810 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Gauges Not Working 990 Adventure

UPDATE!!

So as it turns out it was a faulty gauge cluster. The dealer had KTM send a new cluster and it works great! It feels so good to be back on it again - I love my LC8.
Thanks everyone for your input and concern and thanks KTM for picking up the $530 bill. Get out and ride this weekend!

Ok crushers and techs here's the problem 2012 990R Adventure gauges not working properly

Things I've noticed to be affected:
-Sometimes the only thing on the gauges that works is the backlight nothing else. Other times you can see the temp bars all flashing, speedo reading 0, odo reading 0, coolant temp light is on see the video of this instance. And usually a soft 3.3 (version?) and dat 0 which i swear said 10 something at one time during this issue but says 0 in the video is it getting zero data what does it mean?

https://vimeo.com/65941825

-The tach hasnt moved since this all started sometimes it buzzes (like in the video) when it should be doing the self check, almost like its trying to spin the other way?
-The turn signals work but blink twice as fast as normal (caused by a short), the emergency flashers flash at normal rate though.
-sometimes the fuel injection light will flash 20+ times without the key in
-Bike runs fine, headlight and hi beam work fine and horn, not sure about radiator fan

I have found some guys with similar problems but no definite answer some say regulator/rectifier or a bad ground. I have checked the battery and is charging at like 14v and has about 12.4v normal. The local shops are booked up and cant look at it for a few weeks (of course this happens at peak season) so im looking for some insight.

Ive been scanning wire diagrams and have been wondering how the temp, tach, power to gauges but not backlight( because of reset clock to 12 and odometer back to 0), and turn signal vs emergency flasher can all be related while other things are unaffected. Is this a bad ground or a bad gauge cluster how can you tell the difference.

Bike is under warranty but ive got time to kill now and looking for some more education on the potential problem

Thanks everyone in advance!
Instagram: Duckboy810

duckboy810 screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 08:50 PM
duckboy810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,802
Since no one has offered any ideas and it's 4 hours later, then ONLY thing I would try would be to unhook the battery and leave it like that for 15 minutes or so. It might make the ECU reset if the ECU even does such a thing, and if the ECU is even freaking out and causing the problem.

There is absolutely no logic to this, whatsoever, but the only other option I know of is cuss loudly and say mean things. I've got the wiring schematics but with me reading them it's slightly better than having a drunken chimpanzee throw crap at it.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
duckboy810 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks katoom ill give it a shot. I am really interested in what comes of this so at least ill have one of the few solutions for anyone else who comes across a similar problem.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,769
I would book it in for warranty check while tinckering with it.

If it comes down to a faulty instrument, the bill is too high to pay.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #5
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,974
I had the exact same symptoms, and it was corosion to some terminals down by the battery. A mate fixed it, so i can't explain what exactly it was but it was'nt the battery, she was good. It was down by the right hand side of the battery.
Not much help aye
let us know when you find the problem.
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
duckboy810 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

took apart ignition switch to see if the contacts were dirty they were pretty clean i spit shined them and lubed em with no change, also disconnected the battery for some time with no change. I had cleaned and greased the connections by the main fuse a few days ago without any change maybe ill revisit those connections and wiggle them.

to be continued...
Old 06-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
duckboy810 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update see top