ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,082
North Central/Northwest Illinois Rides

My friend 4-s-hsky worked out a couple a nice routes in NC/NW IL for people to enjoy. I have posted the tracks for download here.

Here are the routes and his comments about each.

Hennepin Canal/Illinois River Ride for Big Bikes
This track starts and finishes on private property, the tracks creator to be exact. It is meant to be ridden in a counter clockwise rotation. It is about 260 miles total. Along the way there are many bridges, river towns, locks, state parks and terrain changes. The first recommended stop would be the Hennepin Canal visitor center to learn about the canal. It was for the most part a commercial failure but quite the construction task for its day. From there a mix of sporty paved roads take you to a long stretch of narrow gravel as you enter the Illinois River Valley area. The patio on the Henry Harbor Marina in Henry is a great lunch stop. Crossing the river at Henry is a treat over one of the few remaining older two lane bridges on the Illinois. A hike anywhere in Starved Rock State Park is a good for a stretch, St. Louis Canyon personally recommended as is at the end of a beat up road on the south side of the park. You will go through several river towns on the way to the covered bridge in Princeton, plenty of opportunity for fuel and services. The track takes a cut back to the start but you can finish up in Rock Falls for services. There are a mix of gravel and paved roads on this ride, all public so be wary of traffic at all times. I assume no responsibility if you do something stoopid or illegal. Above all have fun and be careful.

Northwest Illinois Back Roads Ride for Big Bikes
Here are a few notes for the ride. The start, camp and finish are obviously on private property, this track’s creator to be exact. The day will be about 240 miles in length. The track is meant to be ridden in a counter clockwise rotation. Keep an eye on waypoints if you need fuel. I have waypoints for but not always a track to gas. The tall rock on the left side of Apple River Canyon State Park is a good place to get off, stretch with a hike and re hydrate. The Observation Deck at the former Savanna Army Depot is worth the side trip. Look for the waypoint “Right2ArmyDepotDune” and follow that track. You will notice the entrance and exit track gets close but simply follow the brown signs to the deck as you enter the property. The exit track gives you a better view of the Army Depot. If you have time a loop through Palisades State Park is always a good time and the bluff views are pretty cool. As you leave Savanna Poopy’s bar is on your left, a good spot for a beverage or snack. Yea it’s a Harley bar but lots of families hang there also, it’s not so bad really. On the way to Fulton, Lock and Dam 13 is on the way if you wish to see a Mississippi River lock. I have the track running past the windmill in Fulton. The town has a strong Dutch contingent and this windmill was shipped here from Holland. Visiting hours may be over late in the day but it is a rather interesting tour. As you near the end, the town of Lyndon has a historic plank bridge I way pointed. There are a mix of gravel, dirt and paved roads on this ride, all public so be wary of traffic at all times. I assume no responsibility if you do something stoopid or illegal. Above all have fun and be careful.

Again, tracks can be downloaded here.

Many thanks to 4-s-hsky for taking the time to share some great rides for others to enjoy!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
jped
jped

Oddometer: 60
Savanna, Il., Iron Horse Social Club

When in Savanna, Il., visit the Iron Horse in the Downtown, Hwy 84. Lots of old bikes, racers, hillclimbers, vintage gear, posters, etc. Also, Hawg Dogs, just up the street has some cool old stuff.
jped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
MisterShandy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Looks great, maybe I'll take another trip to starved rock, been a couple years. The ride along the Mississip is just what I was looking for too. I am grabbing them both in the hopes of riding them this summer! Thanks.
MisterShandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

I can upload to ADV again so here are some files.

Downloaded 173 times from here: http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30
Attached Files
File Type: gpx HenpinCanalIlRiv.gpx (63.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 03-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Downloaded 218 times from here: http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30
Attached Files
File Type: gpx NorthWestILLBigBike.gpx (98.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
StumpThump
n00b

Oddometer: 7
This is right in my backyard. I'm gonna hafta ride it. I just bought a new dual sport after streetin' it for the last 23 years.
StumpThump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
reveille
Now 70% Better!

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpThump View Post
This is right in my backyard. I'm gonna hafta ride it. I just bought a new dual sport after streetin' it for the last 23 years.
If you are looking for someone to ride with shoot me a PM. I have a well equipped DR650 and live out near Yorkville. I would very much like to ride the Hennepin track.

Jim
reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
Silver dude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Did the Hennepin earlier this week many thanks for the track what a terrific ride.
Silver dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
4-s-hsky
Just a simple farmer

Oddometer: 112
Winston Tunnel Waypoint addition

Checked out this abandoned rail tunnel a few weeks ago and decided to add it as a waypoint on the Northwest Illinois Big Bike track. http://bridgehunter.com/il/jo-daviess/winston-tunnel/ Pretty cool find and worth the uh, "foot hike" in. It's on DNR property and only accessible from the west off Black Jack Road. The link will tell you more as I wish to absolve myself from any issues you may encounter including the rattlesnakes. We did not spot any but our foot hike was at a very accelerated pace just in case. I don't do snakes. PM me with any questions. Enjoy, respect and be safe.
2013 Husky Terra
2013 Husky TE310

4-s-hsky screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 08:14 AM Reason: detail
4-s-hsky is offline   Reply With Quote