Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #661
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
Cant wait to get out to the Moab area and also see Bonneville this August!
Go to Bonneville in Sept and you can see the speed runs.... Both Moab and Bonneville (Wendover) are both nice and toasty in August...
ringokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #662
skian g
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Thanks, skian g -- Don't think the Yamaha side bag will work without the Yamaha side bracket. Without it the bag will flop all over the place. Alternatively, Wolfman makes a couple of tail bags of varying sizes that would work well with your existing rack. Below is the blurb from page 17 plus one photo.
Thanks! I guess I missed post 252, I thought I looked through the whole thread. So does that side bracket / support frame come with the side bag or is it part of the rear rack? I cant quite tell from that picture.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #663
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Thanks, Wbbnm.

That's a fantastic ride. Enjoyed your pics. The area of eastern Nevada around Caliente has lots of great dirt roads and scenery. And very few people. Real hidden gems. I still haven't been back over to ride Pennsylvania Canyon, but that will come. The dirt road through the New Harmony Mountains south of Cedar City is fine, but nothing super special. Easy enough to do on most street bikes. Post #414 on page 28. You'll have to catch it on your next set of travels through the area. Ride safe, ride often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
RRR, although a year and a half late, we finally did our big trip from New Mexico that included your part of the country.

My pics are here:

http://wbbnm.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Grand-Canyon-May-2013/29582044_QLnh8k#!i=2530202743&k=pkGmQfT

We rode the eastern rim of the Grand Cayon from west of Tuba City to Marble Canyon. Then along the north rim to Jacob Lake and Kanab.

From Kanab we went to Toroweap and it was as spectacular as pics show. Then the southern, somewhat challenging route to Mesquite past the Mt Trumbull school.

We then found some neat roads from Mesquite to Alamo including a dry lake bed that was a real playground. From Alamo we headed to Cedar City thru many of the places you have shown pics of. We hit the Delamar mine then down thru a great forest road to Elgin. We went up Pennsylvania Canyon which was a little challenging but fun. Did the Mt. Ella Lookout and then over to Enterprise for gas. Ended up in Cedar City for the night after doing Pinto rd.

Some of the guys went thru the New Harmony mountains south of Cedar City, but it was and I was too tired to do that loop.

I posted tracks on GPSXchange.com and DualSportMaps.com.

Your ride reports were a big factor in planning our route thru the St. George area. Thanks for the info.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #664
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
That's a fantastic ride. Enjoyed your pics. The area of eastern Nevada around Caliente has lots of great dirt roads and scenery. And very few people. Real hidden gems. I still haven't been back over to ride Pennsylvania Canyon, but that will come. The dirt road through the New Harmony Mountains south of Cedar City is fine, but nothing super special. Easy enough to do on most street bikes. Post #414 on page 28. You'll have to catch it on your next set of travels through the area. Ride safe, ride often.
I finally got around to doing a Ride Report. Not quite finished, but here it is.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892221
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #665
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,710
3r, you're backyard is one of my best destination.

here's our RR on our 3rd year trip, enjoying your stomping ground.

sorry, didn't get the chance to give you a shout, otherwise, we could have met along the way.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #666
1stgear
1 down 5 up

Oddometer: 42
Explored Coral Pink Sand Dunes area last week, just a day trip, very fun area. Saw that spot on the river at Mt Carmel Junction on my way there, thought I need to come back to explore, thanks for reminding me. Went to Grand Canyon couple days ago, again, just a day trip. Love living in Cedar City but there's so many places to go, can't ever make up my mind what's next, lol.
1stgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #667
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Family ATV Ride

East Fork of Virgin River, just south of Mt. Carmel Junction.

Before we get going -- thanks for all the positive comments and PMs.

Needed to take the ATVs up to Brian Head for the summer riding season. Was too hot in St. George last weekend. Went via Mt. Carmel Junction and had some fun riding through the river crossings, although to call the East Fork of the Virgin a "river" at this time of year is a bit of wishful thinking. Water level is noticeably lower than just a few weeks ago when I explored this area on my TW200.

Spent most of my day chasing behind my family. Daddy gets to eat the most dust!

At some places the river is barely flowing. Water crossings are still lots of fun, especially for the kid.

Glamour shot of the Suzuki KingQuad. Same place as TW pic from three weeks ago. See post #654.

The next day we are up at Brian Head. Big pine trees, cool temps. About 75 instead of 105 in St. George. I take my son and his friend for an ATV ride around the town trails while my wife works out and has some well-deserved quiet time. She says that taking care of "3 boys" for the weekend is tiresome!

Still some late Spring run-off. My son having fun riding through the water.

His friend ripping right through, and trying to splash me. Boys will be boys!

Gotta get at least one motorcycle pic in. Here's the garage after the riding is done. This what every garage should look like. The lonely WR with 5 ATVs, 2 snowmachines, and a canoe. Tubes on top of the canoe are for pulling behind the snowmachines. Most important room of the house.

More Brian Head time this coming weekend. Best way to beat the heat of southwest Utah. Thanks for checking in. Ride safe out there.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #668
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
so jealous :)
love your ride reports !
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #669
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Yee Haw!!

Quote:

Now that looks fun! ATV's are so much easier to ride in the sand...and you can look around while riding easier too!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #670
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Versys at Enterprise Reservoir

Thanks, inmates for all the continuing positive comments and star rankings! Quite the ego boost from all my imaginary friends.

Escaped the heat last weekend by going to Brian Head with friends. My kid was at an overnight science camp so it was adults only. We took rookies out on ATVs. Good times as long as we don't show them how to put it in reverse.

At the High Mountain Meadow Overlook with great views of Cedar Breaks.

My lovely wife trying to splash me as I photograph the noobs crossing the Brian Head Creek. Mostly she missed but it wasn't for lack of effort.

Rode the Versys out to Enterprise Reservoir a few nights ago. Good moto therapy time.

New rubber, front and rear. Here's the front. Nice and grippy in the curves. Here the tire is a bit dusty from exploring the shoreline.

Also new mirrors. Original left-hand side mirror had developed a vibration from too many adjustments. New mirrors have a cool angular shape. So far so good.

Low water. Seems like water is low everywhere.

Probably about 100 miles round trip from St. George. A couple of hours well spent.

Thanks for checkin' in. Ride safe, ride often.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #671
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,421
Nice pictures!
I need to go look at the map for high mountain meadow overlook. Is that looking east and is that Brians head behind the black flag?
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #672
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Nice pictures!
I need to go look at the map for high mountain meadow overlook. Is that looking east and is that Brians head behind the black flag?
You got it, Bob. Looking east and that is Brian Head Peak directly behind the black flag. Don't think High Mountain Meadow is shown on most maps, but there are forest service signs. The dirt road to High Mountain Meadow leaves the paved road at the top of Brian Head Town. Turn to right onto dirt while going uphill after passing George's and ski overpass. The dirt road crosses over the ski runs (Wildflower), passes the "twisted forest" then goes to the High Mountain Meadow (about 5 miles). The High Mountain Meadow is a smaller side route (to the left with sign), easily passable by any ADV bike, not road bike. The dirt road continues, mostly losing elevation and eventually rejoins pavement (Old US 91) near Summit (between Summit and Parowan).

High Mountain Meadow has great views of the Cedar Break amphitheater.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #673
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Open Invite: Dual Sport Ride on Tuesday, June 25th

Meet-up at Subway in Hurricane at 9 am. Subway is in the center of town on the south side of the main road (St. #9).

Plan is to ride to Kolob Reservoir, then continue on dirt eventually ending up at Cedar Canyon (St. #14). Lots of options from there. Possibilities include: Brian Head area, Navajo Lake, return via North Fork Road (dirt) and East Entrance to Zion National Park. Or could go west from Cedar Canyon and circumnavigate Pine Valley Mountain. Includes dirt via Pinto and either Pine Valley or Enterprise.

Food, water, and gas available periodically. Not like AZ Strip rides. Bring jacket for higher elevations. Bring Zion National Park Pass if we choose to return via North Fork Road.

We'll plan to be gone most of the day, but there are lots of options to peel off and shorten the ride. Combination of pavement and easy dirt. Any dual sport bike will be fine. 100% road bikes not advisable.

Let's hear it if you're interested.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #674
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 565
Thanks got your PM.
It looks like there are 2 Subways in Hurricane (one inside a Walmart).
The other's address is as below:

SUBWAY® Restaurant
525 Utah 9
Hurricane, UT 84737
(435) 635-9553

Is this the one? I will be there. Really looking forward to this ride.
Simba

Quote:
Meet-up at Subway in Hurricane at 9 am. Subway is in the center of town on the south side of the main road (St. #9).

Plan is to ride to Kolob Reservoir, then continue on dirt eventually ending up at Cedar Canyon (St. #14). Lots of options from there. Possibilities include: Brian Head area, Navajo Lake, return via North Fork Road (dirt) and East Entrance to Zion National Park. Or could go west from Cedar Canyon and circumnavigate Pine Valley Mountain. Includes dirt via Pinto and either Pine Valley or Enterprise.

Food, water, and gas available periodically. Not like AZ Strip rides. Bring jacket for higher elevations. Bring Zion National Park Pass if we choose to return via North Fork Road.

We'll plan to be gone most of the day, but there are lots of options to peel off and shorten the ride. Combination of pavement and easy dirt. Any dual sport bike will be fine. 100% road bikes not advisable.

Let's hear it if you're interested.
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #675
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Subway Meet-up: Tuesday, 6/25 at 9 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbaboy View Post
Thanks got your PM.
It looks like there are 2 Subways in Hurricane (one inside a Walmart).
The other's address is as below:

SUBWAY® Restaurant
525 Utah 9
Hurricane, UT 84737
(435) 635-9553

Is this the one? I will be there. Really looking forward to this ride.
Simba
This is the one. Just past the Chevron station on the main drag, not in Walmart. Here's a pic: