Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
marc-s OP
photographer

Oddometer: 110
helmet headset with PPT and Kenwood plugs?

Hi there

I'm planing to use my cheap chinese ebay Baofeng Radios (and smiliar) for bike to bike comm. But I lack a headset for helmet use. The radios have a Kenwood plug. I don't want to spend a gazillion on bluetooth helmet inserts that include ipod buttons, gps, phone and can make me a sandwich. I'm looking for a good old corded solution, with PTT switch and some plug in the connector along the main line so I can disconnect the shit when I stop (or in mid-air when falling down a cliff with my bike).

The setup should be more or less helmet independent (just using some Velcro or so), as I would by a pair of two for any other rider that joins me and does not have his own radio/intercom).

as I'm not as experienced with those products I'd like some input of you guys. What would you recommend? As I stated above I don't plan to spend hundreds of dollars, I'm good with a simple solution that just connects to my radio and gives me a PTT switch for the handle bar. A decent micro (less wind noise) would be perfect. Shall I just get me some cheap ass crap from ebay, or are there any good and simple headsets for that sort of use?

any inputs are appreciated.
marc-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
marc-s OP
photographer

nothing? c'mon!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,749
I use the system from www.ruggedradios.com

Sound like it's more than you want to spend, but it's my solution. I've seen lots of people try other solutions and they fail or sound terrible.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
The rugged (or PCI or Sampson) racing setups work as opposed to the cheapo junk. Unfortunately, the mic booms don't really lend themselves to be moved easily from helmet to helmet.

This is a case of you get what you pay for. But if you want to try the cheap stuff then Fry's and other stores should have some cheap headsets.

Just my $.02

Cheers,

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
marc-s OP
photographer

thanks for your replies. To clarify: I'm not fixed on a cheap one, I just don't need the features of the 300$ league (aka bluetooth, wireless, coffee and sandwich) and Id' like to know what I get in terms of technical specs. I looked into the ruggedradios products, and even there it seems to me that you buy pig in a poke. but the connectors and cables seems very rugged and will indeed last for a while. I'll look into it, but appreciate other inputs too.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc-s View Post
thanks for your replies. To clarify: I'm not fixed on a cheap one, I just don't need the features of the 300$ league (aka bluetooth, wireless, coffee and sandwich) and Id' like to know what I get in terms of technical specs. I looked into the ruggedradios products, and even there it seems to me that you buy pig in a poke. but the connectors and cables seems very rugged and will indeed last for a while. I'll look into it, but appreciate other inputs too.
No pig, no poke.

Just works. Many of my riding buddies use the same system.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,923
Ebay search baofeng headset

You'll find a ton of,choices

I used a baofeng and a 30 dollar headset for a week in baja

Took a spare headset which was lucky because a spill pulled the ptt wire out

Rugged radios have MUCH better connectors but even with the cost of the back up headset I,was into,the whole.setup,for under 100 bucks

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
marc-s OP
photographer

Thanks for your help. In the meantime I went for the more expensive route and got myself a used Intercom setup. Main reason was the need for rider to pillion communication. The system comes with headsets and the option to attach a PMR radio. Had no chance to retreive the item from the seller yet, but hope to put it into my bike in January
Old 06-12-2014, 06:17 AM   #9
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 828
Boafeng radios use the same as the Kenwood PTT Plug system. I've got the cheapo PTT units from Fleabay.... my riding partner paid the big bucks from PCI.. They both work well.. and both are not bullet proof systems as we both have had ours problems.. His just cost more and look cooler

we've been using the Boafengs programed to GMRS stations for years for great results..

we have the bigger batteries so they last a few days... you can also get them to hook to the 12v bike plug as well for unlimited battery life.. that's good to have on remote rides where you can't plug in and charge every night.

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
marc-s OP
photographer

that's what I did just this moment: added the autocom kenwood wire harness to the baofeng radio and wired up the baofeng battery eliminator. glued a ram ball mount to the back and now time for testing.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
spoon
Rubber's gone!

Oddometer: 207
I use a wired speaker/mike setup from Pryme. http://www.pryme.com/
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote