ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #61
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The 450T is not one of the 'New Oregon' series. It's an 'Old Oregon'.
And it's not "right now". It's May 17-27.

But in an effort to steer the conversation back to the new units...

I just got back from REI where I put my grubby paws on a Garmin Oregon 600! I took my 450 series along for comparison. Sorry, I didn't take a camera, but you know what they look like anyway, right?

Pros:
- The 6X0 is faster than the old Oregon series. I had my 450 with me and the boot up time is WAY faster on the 600.
- The capacitive screen does in fact work with gloves -at least MX style gloves. It should be easier to clear of dust, which is one of my major gripes with the Oregon and Montana. A little dust makes it impossible to see what's on the screen.
- The 6x0 screen seems a little easier to see. The main advantage is angle of view. The resolutions are the same 240x400.
- 6X0 can do portrait or landscape. Kind of cool, but I don't find that I use that feature. My Oregon is used for navigating trails on my 530 and is (and would be even if I could change it) always in portrait mode. My Montana is used on my big bikes and is always locked in landscape mode.

Cons:
- Still no good external power source. USB is the only port. The position of the port could make this one a little better for making a "rugged USB" connector, but the Montana's pad system is much better.
- If you want to follow previously made tracks, or tracks that you load yourself, you still have to go into each one and hit "show on map". That is my biggest gripe with both the Oregon and Montana. They need a multi-select, checkbox system to show a set of selected tracks or at least a "show all tracks" and corresponding "hide all tracks" button somewhere in the Track Manager.

I was ready to buy the 600 even without the ability to power it externally if they fixed the shortcoming in the Track Manager. As it is, I would definitely pick up a 450t at $200 rather than the 6X0 series. The improvements aren't worth the extra cost.
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition

Yardstick screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 04:13 PM
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #62
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
The improvements aren't worth the extra cost.
I agree. I like what they've done to the new Oregon series but I will never buy another usb only power sourced gps. Garmin shot themselves in the foot with that fatal flaw.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 03:47 PM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #63
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
I agree. I like what they've done to the new Oregon series but I will never buy another usb only power sourced gps. Garmin shot themselves in the foot with that non feature.
Fixed it for ya!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #64
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Fixed it for ya!
Actually went back and fixed it myself.

"Garmin shot themselves in the foot with that fatal flaw"
Old 05-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #65
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

I can sort of get over the USB only power source for the way I use the unit. Initially I wanted to get my hands on a sacrificial back piece and try to make my own pad or connector system. Ultimately it's a day trip device for me and usually a set of Eneloops lasts all day. It's the track manager menu system that drives me nuts (in both the Oregon and Montana). I don't always follow a "route" when I'm riding singletrack. Sometimes I want that spaghetti map so I know where I am and where the trail is that intersects the one I'm on.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #66
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Actually went back and fixed it myself.

"Garmin shot themselves in the foot with that fatal flaw"
I still would like to offer that the Oregons, old and new, were not designed to be used as a motorcycle application. I have one of the "old" Oregons, its use in my motorcycle is an adaptation at best. When we go to Garmin's site and see what they offer for motorcycles, Oregon is not on that short list. Just that we forget about it from time to time.

Garmin knows we use the Oregon on our motorcycles (and other handheld GPS's). Keeping that USB on the Oregon as its power connection, Garmin steers us to spend more and get the Montana or the Zumo 350. Market segmentation at its best. Dollars in Garmin's pocket in the end. Not necessarily a shot on their own foot, I think.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #67
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I still would like to offer that the Oregons, old and new, were not designed to be used as a motorcycle application. I have one of the "old" Oregons, its use in my motorcycle is an adaptation at best. When we go to Garmin's site and see what they offer for motorcycles, Oregon is not on that short list. Just that we forget about it from time to time.

Garmin knows we use the Oregon on our motorcycles (and other handheld GPS's). Keeping that USB on the Oregon as its power connection, Garmin steers us to spend more and get the Montana or the Zumo 350. Market segmentation at its best. Dollars in Garmin's pocket in the end. Not necessarily a shot on their own foot, I think.
Very true, and it won't keep me from buying an Oregon 650. I still love my Montana 650, but I suspect the Oregon 650 will see much more use :)
Old 05-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #68
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Very true, and it won't keep me from buying an Oregon 650. I still love my Montana 650, but I suspect the Oregon 650 will see much more use :)
There just isn't enough difference to make me want to upgrade from my 62S. It's not like that moment when I first saw the Montana and knew that was the one I had to have.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #69
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post

True that the Oregons weren't built as motorcycle GPS units, but neither was the old 60csx. At least the 60 had a dedicated external power connector. They are all trade-offs, unfortunately. The Montana is listed on their motorcycle page, but it looks like an afterthought. They used to only list that on their handhelds page with the Oregon.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #70
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Just added a Screen Durability Test to the Garmin Oregon 6xx Wiki.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #71
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Battery Test information has been added to the Oregon 6xx wiki.