borborygmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #17
Lumberjeff
River City MC

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmv62 View Post
she should have her own small lips.
Thank you for the intelligent advice/help... This is the first time I have asked a question on this site. Thanks again.
1979 VESPA P125X/166cc
I'M THIRSTY FOR A HARMON BEER
Lumberjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 601
The fact is, other than the Duke, KTMs are dirt bikes. Road bikes need soft saddles, dirt bikes just need something to keep the frame from hitting your ass.

Some inmates have 2 or more seats - one for each type of riding they do.

Makes sense to me.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #19
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,339
Another vote for Renazco

Tried the stock seat, Corbin, Seat concepts and now a Renazco.
Many choices, and everyone's backside is different. It may not be the iron butt solution, but works with no passenger sliding forward, for us.

If you have the means, having a couple of seats would be nice.
Bgunn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #20
desertkev
Charity Founder

Oddometer: 31
I have one of these on my Superduke and it was amazing on my 9k mile trip a couple of summers ago. I am 120 pounds with a boney butt and not once was my butt bugging me during the journey. I am planted on the seat 99% of the time. I had it shaped to be flat because I wanted to control at what part of the seat I sat, also had it built up an inch for my long inseam.
http://kontourseat.com/index.html
I would have no problem investing in one of these on another long ride motorbike. If I had to list the cons it would be.
Probably is not the best choice in a cold and wet climate.
The gel only seems to be in the front half, that could probably be fixed by them, but I am a solo rider and don't care.
Since it is fairly unknown, probably crappy resale value.
Not sure how the other seat makers work, but they need an unmodified seat so there is that downtime.
Looks a little weird, better in real life than pictures however.

desertkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
KnightRider374 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the comments up to now. For me, planning rides completely off road, the choices come down to Renazco and Seat Concepts. Seat Concepts is half the price so I think I may start there and turn my KTM "low" seat into the Seat Concepts "tall" seat. Hopefully that will do the trick since I've been happy with their seats on other dirt bikes. I think I'd like to try a Renazco at some point since they look really cool and the suede looks super plush.

It looks like the Corbin, Saddlemen, and Bill Mayer seats would be better options if you are more street orientated.
KnightRider374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,961
I've got three seats.

The stock pan that was custom worked to something very similar to a Russell Day Long. It is the mileage cruncher....and no problems doing well over 500-600 miles a day.

I also have a tall Seat Concepts .....and it is my favorite for shorter rides, off in the dirt.

The Corbin is nice and hard, but my least favorite.....and it is short as well.
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #23
outfront
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjeff View Post
Any thoughts on what seat is best for helping the passenger stay put. When we are on rough trails going down hill the girlfriend has trouble sliding forward. Anything with a small lip between the passenger and rider?
Hey Jeff,
What do you think about suede or some other gripper seat
material?

2012 990R
06 KTM 525 EXC
outfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #24
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,418
Since I wrote the post quoted below, I had an enlightening experience. I recently did a 650 mile weekend with my boy on the back of the stock seat. I used the stocker for the ride because with him getting on and off I needed to be able to reach the ground a little better than with the Corbin.

I noted below that I move around a lot on the
seat and that the stock seat has only sucked on one long-ass day in the heat and on a very straight road. This remains true.

What I found on the ride with my boy is that 2-up I don't move around nearly as much, and that under this circumstance I have a rather severe issue with the stock seat.

I get numb. I mean 100-mile day on a racing bicycle with a poorly adjusted saddle, lasts two days, can't feel the boys numb.

With a 3-week trip returning home from the Alcan 5000 next summer with the boy on the back in the cards, this is not acceptable. Kinda need some sensation down there, yaknow?

Anyway, I decided that of the choices out there, the saddlemen seat was designed to address this exact problem. However, it looks weird, collects rain according to some existing users, and has suede which holds water. Not ideal for days in the saddle in the Fall in Alaska...

Stumbled across King of Fleece in one of the threads here; he's an inmate and although expensive, his seat cover would certainly, if it lives up to the hype, solve the water-related concerns I have with the seat. The seat comes in two heights, a "stock" or regular height which is reported to be slightly taller than stock, and a "low" version. After much deliberation and a not-particularly-informative reply to an email query sent to the company, I decided to risk ordering the low version of the "Adventure Track" seat.

Reports here on ADV vary widely on the seat and there is considerable discussion about the need for an extended break-in period for this seat.

The seat arrived in good time as did the cover, and both are installed. I do not have a bunch of miles on them yet but can report that the cover is waterproof as promised, and the seat appears, again as promised, to need some breaking in. I will say that even brand new the low version of this seat is miles ahead of the low gel KTM seat. Miles.

It's a weird sensation and I think that it may vary widely according to the distance between an individual's specific, er, butt-bones. So far, I'm liking it a lot. I can reach the ground better with this seat than I could with the others I've tried and although it's quite firm, it's also pretty comfortable so far. No numbness, and the boy finds the back acceptable, although at 65 lbs....may not be a fair review there.

The driver's portion of the saddle is quite flat and long with lots of room to move around, and the cover provides just enough "traction" to move around easily without either slipping off the seat or getting locked into one spot.

So far, so good.

Crappy cell phone pic of seat and cover on the bike:

SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
I don't find the stock seat to be terrible. OK, Moab-Fallon in 100 + temps sucked but usually I am moving around enough on this bike that the stocker isn't bad.

The KTM gel low seat however....now THAT puppy sucks.

I recently bought a Corbin from an inmate and it's typical Corbin. Starts out hard, ends up hard, but easy to move around on and doesn't pack down over the course of a 500 plus mile day. My only issue with this one is that it's just a little wider in front where it matters and now I REALLY can't touch the ground. Jury's still out on this one.

FWIW

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #25
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Oddometer: 2,159
i just bought a russell day long from a fellow inmate, and did a quick ride with it. comfort is second to none. it looks funky, but function over form with this one folks...

Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #26
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 527
My new to me 990 Adv came with a full suede Renazco seat, very nice, 350 - 500 mile days are not problem. After commuting to work leaving it in the sun daily it started to fade. Jim made me a rain/sun cover, problem solved.

Based on the experience on the 990 I bought a Renazco suede top for my 640 Adv, very nice, cuts out lots of vibration, wish I had bought it sooner. (might not have bought the 990)

While getting the 990 rain cover I also picked up a Renazco full suede for my 400/453 EXC.

Other seats may be as nice but I've had a good experience with Renazco.
EdGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #27
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,418
Russell is just down the road from me; if I could (or would) get a seat made, it'd be from them.

I sat on a Russel though on the 990 and it just didn't work for me. Too wide even at the front and the wings hit me wrong while standing.

Nice to ride on sitting down though!

If I had it to do over again, I'd grow longer legs!

SA
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #28
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 407
Only in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c5rodney View Post
i just bought a russell day long from a fellow inmate, and did a quick ride with it. comfort is second to none. it looks funky, but function over form with this one folks...

Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #29
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,309
I have one Renazco. Gonna have it rebuilt soon ( it's about 7 years old now) and may send my second seat up to Jim for the magic touch as well. Love the one I have though.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #30
tedmarshall
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Seat Concepts +1

I had them add denser foam and the grippy cover. The plain cover was too slippery. Kept sliding into tank when braking. Value for money. Good workmanship at a good price.
tedmarshall is online now   Reply With Quote