User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
stephenws OP
Wishful Wanderer

Oddometer: 57
Potential Dumba.s Question

I've got a 2009 GSA. A couple years experience riding. Been trying to improve my slow speed skills. Recently took the MSF experienced rider course and did well with everything except the figure 8.

Ok, here's the question: I've been practicing figure 8s and u-turns in first gear and having some trouble with "jumpy" throttle input - even while feathering the clutch. Tonight I tried using 2nd gear and the throttle response seemed much smoother and easier to maintain. Should I continue practicing the slow speed stuff in 2nd gear or work on getting better in 1st gear?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
JM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
I'd keep after it in first gear. It's a skill you really need to find.

Part of the trick is finding the friction zone of your clutch. Keep the clutch right at the point just before it starts to engage the transmission. Once you find the point where the clutch just starts to engage you can move the handle just a little to engage or disengage the clutch and it will make things smoother.

You don't want to give it a lot of gas when slipping the clutch or you will heat it up to much.

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,779
Try leaving the clutch alone and just concentrate on using the throttle smoothly. The rear brake is also a great tool for helping tame the throttle at slow speed.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
MoodyGS
Going round the bend

Oddometer: 145
You may want tot think of body English

At parking lot speed in addition to using the rear brake, feathering the clutch, being liberal with the gas, considering addition leaning your body slightly off the COG away from the direction of the turn, lean left when turning right. This is exactly the opposite of cornering at none parking lot speeds.
Takes practice.....
For riding around corners at parking lot speeds on a heavier bike took waaaaaay more time to learn than riding round corners on a heavy bike at 60 mph.
Stephen
MoodyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
stephenws OP
Wishful Wanderer

Thanks for the ideas and advice. I'll continue to work on it. Kinda intimidating with the size and weight of the bike, but I know I need to master this before I'll feel confident riding it. Almost dropped it 3 times yesterday practicing....
Old 06-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
Penfold99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I have found the same thing practicing on my new to me '05. It almost feels like the idle speed is too high to do the slower speed stuff without a lot of clutch work. Add to that the on/off idle throttle response, and it is jerky...
My newly installed boosterplug helps some, and just getting used to it. I also found the servo brakes to be very grabby at first, but have now become accustomed to them.

Dave
Atlanta, GA
2005 R1200GS
Penfold99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,069
The bike comes geared pretty high for super low speed work, and loading/unloading the driveline creates a bit of an odd feel.

If it wants to carry forward at 15 mph in first, that might be too high for the sort of nose picking you want to do to get around or through obstacles. So your clutch hand will get a workout. At slow speed this should mean very little wear on your clutch. High speed dragging of the clutch is when that really happens.

So now you can play at becoming smooth. Clutch, throttle, rear brake, and body position along with being in command of your bike-- getting ahead of your bike-- and keeping your momentum, these things are key.

My 1150 is geared down by using the FD from another model because 1st was too high for offroad work and a bit too high to take off 2-up, loaded for travelling.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,951
09 GSA has the enduro transmission so lower 1st gear. I found that the Accelerator module (like booster plg) made a huge difference in slow speed throttle use. Much smoother.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Not a dumb question at all... It takes some real skill to do this well.

I am good turning left...struggle turning away from my clutch hand to the right! Take the panniers off, find a good smooth spot of dirt and grass to practice (skins things up less when you drop it...and you WILL drop it) drag that rear brake and things will improve!
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,988
Like others said, I drag rear brake vs clutch in first gear and it works well for me at ultra low speeds. In the real world you need those skills rarely but they have to be ultra sharp when you do, so practice now and again in an empty parking lot. That and track days.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 142
practice by keeping the RPMs up and control the power with the clutch until you get good at it. Bike will feel much more stable with the RPMs up. Using the rear brake helps a lot.

Figure 8 exercise just takes practice. Remember to counter balance like they taught you.
DesertTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
QSrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Also, you will be surprised how slow you can go in first with the clutch fully engaged without stalling the engine.
Without touching the clutch, throttle management must be very precise and smooth. You should hardly feel the throttle move.
A good way to get used to the very slow speed on your big/tall machine is to find an empty parking lot and instead of playing with clutch and throttle, get it in first and had a tiny bit of "choke" (high idle lever for cold start). When you get used to that speed, take some off and go even slower. Keep going... It's a lot easier to be smooth with the high idle lever. When you are used to the very slow speed work, then stop using the high idle lever and work on your throttle control. It is usually easier to work one thing at the time.
Good luck.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
stephenws OP
Wishful Wanderer

Thanks again for all the advice.

WoodButcher, I think I'll give the Accelerator Module a try. The price is reasonable and appears quick to install.

Had much better luck today practicing. Guess I was just off the other evening when I stalled the bike twice and almost dropped it 3 or 4 times practicing u-turns in a parking lot. Like I mentioned, my riding experience is limited. I didn't grow up riding and got my first bike when 50. When I get nervous or feel something is going wrong, I tighten my grip, which tends to pull in the clutch - just what I don't want to do during a slow speed turn. Guess I need to just practice, practice and practice to develop the correct responses.

I appreciate all the help.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
GelandeRoadie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenws View Post
When I get nervous or feel something is going wrong, I tighten my grip, which tends to pull in the clutch - just what I don't want to do during a slow speed turn..
At a training course I did last year, they got us to use just two fingers on the clutch and brake controls. IMHO, this made the slow speed exercises much easier. With a full hand grip it is hard to be subtle.
GelandeRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
JM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Another good skill to learn is how to pick up your motorcycle by yourself. It will happen so learn how to do it and practice it a little. This video shows the technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sP3cqKbOEs

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote