ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
psychohawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
OC GS Ride

Next ride Sunday, July 28th ... this is a shop ride that I'll jump on and maybe some of us can plan future, non-shop rides?

Carl

Hey all,

I'd like to put together a every-other-week GS Ride. I've been scanning the forums for some time for a group, but none ever seem to fit what I'm looking for.

I'd like a ride/group as follows:

- GS so we're all similarly capable
- meet Irv Seaver*
- 8 AM, stands up 8:30 AM
- home mid-afternoon
- various terrain, not always dirt, not always asphalt

That said, I'm NOT interested in seeking out the most difficult trails and trashing my bike; don't get me wrong, I don't mind getting it dirty and a few scratches, I'm just not interested in exploring the bike's--or my--upper capabilities.

About me: 45, married, homeowner, welder ... sometimes I ride more spirited than my age might indicate, but off the saddle I'm pretty mellow to be around ... my other hobby is surfing (9-6 Harbour) though honestly, I haven't been surfing much in the last few months ... too much riding! I started riding late in life, about 25, and accumulated about 125k miles on two wheels.

Let me know if there's any interest, first ride will be Saturday, June 29th ... it'll be an easy, get acquainted ride ... route suggestions are welcomed ... if that works and there's interest, let's put together something every other week.

Note, if I'm raining on someone's party, let me know and I'll probably join your ride / group instead.

Thanks!

* I propose meeting Irv Seaver because most everyone knows where it is and if you need something last minute, you can pick it up ... neither the ride nor myself are associated with the shop.

psychohawk screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 01:40 PM
psychohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Hund
born to be wild

Oddometer: 35
If I am still around and my bike is fit, would be cool to join you with my 1100GS!
cheers
Hund
Old 06-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
psychohawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
Probably get a little more interest from around here if you ride the xr600.
Yeah ... lots of rides/groups fit the XR ... great bike ... just looking for something a little different.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychohawk View Post
Yeah ... lots of rides/groups fit the XR ... great bike ... just looking for something a little different.
I know what you're saying. If I was in the neighborhood, I'd join you.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
DaneelOlivaw
Irv Seaver BMW; Parts Mgr

Oddometer: 439
Irv Seaver BMW welcomes you to launch your rides from the store. Sure would be nice if some rides were on Sunday. We could then join you, if you'd have us along. Downside is that we can't really open the retail store for the riders on a Sunday, or we'd never get going.
DaneelOlivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
GS&S1K rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychohawk View Post
Hey all,

I'd like to put together a every-other-week GS Ride. I've been scanning the forums for some time for a group, but none ever seem to fit what I'm looking for.

I'd like a ride/group as follows:

- GS so we're all similarly capable
- meet Irv Seaver*
- 8 AM, stands up 8:30 AM
- home mid-afternoon
- various terrain, not always dirt, not always asphalt

That said, I'm NOT interested in seeking out the most difficult trails and trashing my bike; don't get me wrong, I don't mind getting it dirty and a few scratches, I'm just not interested in exploring the bike's--or my--upper capabilities.

About me: 45, married, homeowner, welder ... sometimes I ride more spirited than my age might indicate, but off the saddle I'm pretty mellow to be around ... my other hobby is surfing (9-6 Harbour) though honestly, I haven't been surfing much in the last few months ... too much riding! I started riding late in life, about 25, and accumulated about 125k miles on two wheels.

Let me know if there's any interest, first ride will be Saturday, June 29th ... it'll be an easy, get acquainted ride ... route suggestions are welcomed ... if that works and there's interest, let's put together something every other week.

Note, if I'm raining on someone's party, let me know and I'll probably join your ride / group instead.

Thanks!

* I propose meeting Irv Seaver because most everyone knows where it is and if you need something last minute, you can pick it up ... neither the ride nor myself are associated with the shop.
would like to join...when schedule allow...

meeting at irv seaver is not a problem.. for me...

i will subscribe to the thread and gain insight about dates later...

thanks!
2011 S1KRR
GS&S1K rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
psychohawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

David, thanks for generosity and you sparked an idea ... if twice monthly theme, maybe once on a Saturday and the second time on a Sunday.

Problem is, no interest! :-) Maybe as date draws closer and route is defined, there will be some interest.

Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneelOlivaw View Post
Irv Seaver BMW welcomes you to launch your rides from the store. Sure would be nice if some rides were on Sunday. We could then join you, if you'd have us along. Downside is that we can't really open the retail store for the riders on a Sunday, or we'd never get going.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
jeepdude65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I'm interested...just say when and what time. Where are we going?
jeepdude65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
jeepdude65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oops! I just remembered I'm playing golf on Saturday! I guess I'll wait for the Sunday ride. If you want to meet and ride on Sunday send me a pm.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
ccwood
Adventure n00b

Oddometer: 15
Hey guys...

I just moved to Costa Mesa from the east coast and really haven't gotten my bearings on where to ride around here yet. I ride an '08 R1200GS. I am psyched to see that there is possibly a new riding group getting started, as I could learn some places to ride and meet some new people at the same time! The downside is that I can't make the 29th or 30th! I am free the rest of the summer though! I will keep an eye on the thread and join in at the next ride if it gets together!

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good route near Costa Mesa and/or a pointer to another thread that is near my area?

Ride Hard!

Chris Wood
Costa Mesa, CA
'08 R1200GS

Chris Wood
Costa Mesa, CA
'08 R1200GS
ccwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #11
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwood View Post

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good route near Costa Mesa and/or a pointer to another thread that is near my area?

Ride Hard!

Chris Wood
Costa Mesa, CA
'08 R1200GS
Welcome to SoCal.

Try 5 south to 76 east. This gets you out to Mt. Palomar, Lake Henshaw & Julian area. Makes for a nice few miles, and if done during the weekday, it's even better!

Idyllwild, Hwy 74 Palms to Pines Hwy is nice, and also Angeles Crest Hwy in our local mountains. Also a quick trip up to Big Bear can be fun too.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
Welcome to SoCal.

Try 5 south to 76 east. This gets you out to Mt. Palomar, Lake Henshaw & Julian area. Makes for a nice few miles, and if done during the weekday, it's even better!
If you do this ride and want some company, drop me a line. It's in my neck of the woods. There's also some big-bike friendly dirt in the area.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #13
jeepdude65
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwood View Post
Hey guys...

I just moved to Costa Mesa from the east coast and really haven't gotten my bearings on where to ride around here yet. I ride an '08 R1200GS. I am psyched to see that there is possibly a new riding group getting started, as I could learn some places to ride and meet some new people at the same time! The downside is that I can't make the 29th or 30th! I am free the rest of the summer though! I will keep an eye on the thread and join in at the next ride if it gets together!

Ride Hard!

Chris Wood
Costa Mesa, CA
'08 R1200GS
My buddy and I are riding this Sunday if you want to join us. I think we're headed towards Santa Maria for a long day ride. No dirt since he rides a BMW GT. I live south of you in Mission Viejo so we can meet up near your location. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
psychohawk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey, well I was planning to pre-ride something tomorrow but seeing as it's my wedding anniversary, my wife's made other plans ... caging it to Palm Springs!

I'm thinking for the 29th a trip to Big Bear via Apple Valley, Bear Valley Rd and some forest service roads ... it's been a few years since I've done this route so 1) I welcome the company; 2) I welcome route advice! :-)

Thus far it looks like a party of one! Me! No worries, it'll probably be miserably hot, the roads will be awesome and attractive, scantily clad women will be stationed at water stations ... if two of the three are true, I should be all right! :)

Carl
Old 06-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #15
ccwood
Adventure n00b

Oddometer: 15
Jeepdude65,

Thanks for the offer to ride with you on Sunday and sorry for the late response? I won't be able to ride along with you Sunday. Hopefully, I can next time though!

Ride Hard!

Chris Wood
Costa Mesa, CA
'08 R1200GS

Chris Wood
Costa Mesa, CA
'08 R1200GS
ccwood is offline   Reply With Quote