Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Rahi OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
From Finland to Greece

Hey there,

I have been planning my longer solo trip to Greece, Rhodes where my cousin lives. Solo due I don't have any friends to accompany me, time will tell. I am 35yo male with mixed riding experience on-off last 20 years. I will be leaving near end of the June.

Route:

http://goo.gl/maps/a57pE

I will start from Helsinki, take ferry to Tallinn. Mainly first part is done via Via Baltica to Warsaw and from there I just took the Google maps suggestions. I ended the route to Thessaloniki where there is supposed to be ferry connection to Rhodes.

I want to avoid high speed roads but at the same time move efficiently. My bike is F650GS which "limits" the comfort of driving in high speeds. The daily stops are after 250-400km now with unfinished plan.

I would love to hear opinions about the route, what to avoid, change and must see places. Maybe accommodation options which are suitable for motorists. I have been in Estonia, Poland, Germany etc. with car but with bike its totally different, at least safety one my big concerns.

Gear and bike:

I have 05 F650GS with BMW system panniers, heaters and ABS. New front tire and rear tire half-way done. I believe that rear tire will do fine this trip atleast one-way. Basic service has been recently done.

I will pack at least the following:
- CRC Tyre Fix seal can (no tire irons)
- Basic tools
- First aid kit
- Flashlight
- Tent/sleeping bag/matress
- Basic hygiene things
- Wire lock for bike
- Duck tape
- Rope (for laundry)
- Towel
- 5-6 set of undies, socks and t-shirts
- Misc clothing
- Toilet paper
- Appropriate documents
- Chargers
- Macbook and DSLR

Anything to add or reduce?

All opinions, ideas and such are welcome, even riding company.

(this is second post due moderators have yet to move my original which is in wrong forum)
Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
eightup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Looks like a good trip, I will be crossing the border into Finland near St. Petersburg about June 18th. But I plan on taking a northernly route through Scandinavia.

Don't know what kind of rope you plan on packing, but maybe look at something smaller like 550 cord.
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
Panayos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Dont forget your rain suit !!!!!!!
Pass fron Tatra mountains north of Slovakia !!!
Panayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Rahi OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightup View Post
Looks like a good trip, I will be crossing the border into Finland near St. Petersburg about June 18th. But I plan on taking a northernly route through Scandinavia.

Don't know what kind of rope you plan on packing, but maybe look at something smaller like 550 cord.
Yeah, just normal thin plastic rope for hanging clothes or for emergency repairs.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
dragonseeker
dragonseeker

Oddometer: 13
Clothes line

Camping stores sell pegless clothes lines. Picture two thin nylon cords twined together with a hook on each end. I am looking at mine on my guesthouse balcony in Thailand now. Indispensable. When camping in Europe I always pitched my tent the required distance from a fence or tree and fixed my clothes line between the two.
dragonseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
DonVulpes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I have included a few pairs of surgical gloves in my pack-up.

It might sound a bit 'soft' but if you need to work on your bike, cleaning your hands to cook/eat afterwards is so much easier of you've worn gloves and they take up almost no space.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
ta-rider
Mosungo on tour

Oddometer: 74
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahi View Post
- Rope (for laundry)
- Towel
- 5-6 set of undies, socks and t-shirts
Anything to add or reduce?
All opinions, ideas and such are welcome, even riding company.
Well if you want to travel light i would not take the rope and the Towl and less T-Shirts. You can only wear one at a time and allways wash the other when you take a shower. You then also can use the still wet t-shirt as a towl. Thats what i did in africa. To ride to greece will be a breeze if you avoid the holliday season were the road along the sea will be blocked from camper caravanes

http://adventure-travel-experience.d...t=griechenland

Ride save, Tobi
ta-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:07 AM   #8
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,880
Speaking personally I'd either go further east and ride down through Romania and Bulgaria or further west and ride the Adriatic coast road from Slovenia, through Croatia, and into Albania and then Greece...

How are you planning to come back? Make a loop :)

+1 on the undercrackers and t-shirts - take less - I'd say 3 and each day rinse out in the sink but it's not a huge deal of you take more - simply post home what you don't want else go to plan b) and pack stuff you don't mind throwing away - old t-shirts, aging socks etc and then wash the rest.

The other thing I find fairly handy is a way to lock your jacket and helmet (and maybe even trousers) to the bike - I used a chain and padlock. Makes wandering around town far more comfortable.

And, depending on the time of year, you're gonna need some form of hydration. I used, a loved, a Kriega Hydro 3 (expensive but excellent IMO). Worked a treat for keeping me wet on the inside plus, with a squeeze of the nipple, I'm able to soak myself down whilst I'm riding - makes a huge difference,
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard

catweasel67 screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 12:18 AM
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
furcio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahi View Post
Hey there,

I would love to hear opinions about the route, what to avoid, change and must see places. Maybe accommodation options which are suitable for motorists. I have been in Estonia, Poland, Germany etc. with car but with bike its totally different, at least safety one my big concerns.
How long would you like to stay at Poland? What you want to see? Monuments or mountains? If Mountains I recommended you go through Zakopane.
http://www.facebook.com/rkwtrip
furcio is offline   Reply With Quote