User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
Yokomo OP
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Rode to Teter Rock KS . WR250X . KLR650

Every year here in Kansas there is a ride called the Stampede. I couldn't commit to doing it the past 2 years, so I was out of luck. Or was I? The week leading up to the Stampede I saw that my weekend was wide open. So I decided to just take off and ride from my house and do a similar route but backwards how most of the participants would be riding. The problem is I've never ridden down there by myself so I didn't know what roads were really roads or which ones were closed. I don't have good garmin GPS either so I couldn't upload other peoples routes. So I did the next best thing and just looked at maps online and just hit the squigly lines and the roads that sounded like minimum maintenance roads. Prett much any road that is called "_______ Creek Rd" is a safe bet.
A guy I know just bought a WR250X and was up for the challenge. I didn't know how far out the fuel stops would be so we strapped a gas tank to his motard with street tires and took off.
I knew the roads around Teterville KS were cool so I made that our destination. When we left there we headed North through the Texaco oil fields and landed in Emporia for lunch at a BBQ and ice cream shop.
After lunch we continued working our way back home taking mostly all gravel and dirt roads. We didn't have any issues until right when we got back in town and I noticed he had a flat rear tire. We were close enough to home that we just limped along and made it.
All in all it was a great day, we ended up doing 250 miles, I'd say we did 75% gravel, and the new guy got his cherry popped in the dual sport world.

Here's video from my KLR650. In the beginning you see a hay trailer. A farmer flagged us down because his trailer broke and he was quite aways out from town and he didn't have a cell phone. I let him borrow mine to get some help headed his way. He was greatful we stopped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnAu1_SCqTk

Here's video from the WR250X. You can tell he's new to this because he was wanting to rip around like a little chihuahua and didn't know how to pace himself for the long day in the saddle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sTGoWuEEro
Old 06-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Yokomo OP
Gorilla Adventurer

Lets spice this up with a few pictures.

Here's one of the oil fields

Here's the wild Mustangs that are always out around the Rock

This is the typical roads we rode

I can only assume this is paradise for a cow

Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Stopped by there on my way camping last summer, nice view from there. bęte.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
CoyoteCowboy
Easily Distracted

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
I can only assume this is paradise for a cow

Your assumption is correct. Paradise for cows and cowboys The Flinthills will always be home base for me, thats where I grew up.

CoyoteCowboy screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 11:11 AM
CoyoteCowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteCowboy View Post
[edit] Just watched your video and...um, if you're having to open gates across cattleguards, you're most likely on private proprety and folks around there don't appreciate that kind of thing too much. Just sayin...
Nice video and pictures.

As CoyoteCowboy noted. There was a good chance you were on private property.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Yokomo OP
Gorilla Adventurer

I don't know. Around here the private property gates are either tied on the top and bottom and not easily slipped right off or have a small lock on them - I don't go through them. But as you can see those gates were very easy to go through and the roads were on the county maps and google maps and there were no "No Trespassing" signs. If I thought they were private property I wouldn't of ridden on them.
I do appreciate the concern though.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Theres quite a few gates on public roads up there just close them behind you. bęte.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
CoyoteCowboy
Easily Distracted

Oddometer: 308
You guys can do what you want to, all I'm sayin is don't get caught or you'll probably be gettin an earful from some hot tempered cowboy, or worse yet, some mean old SOB rancher like my Dad was who really doesn't see things the way you do and who is damned hard to argue with