Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 73 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #376
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
My better half does some pretty good rabbit recipes ... Looks like chicken but doesn't taste like it. You should try some squirrel. Oh and also some pigeon or other wild birds ... I'm a big fan of blackbirds and crows

Squirrels?????

I did not know that you could eat squirrels, do I have to worry about diseases?
I had plenty of small birds and they are very boney, too much trouble to clean them, now that I am older it is much less attractive to go thru all that work.

According to our economy here in CA, I may just have to go green and get my own protein.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #377
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung3 View Post
Squirrels?????

I had plenty of small birds and they are very boney, too much trouble to clean them, now that I am older it is much less attractive to go thru all that work.

According to our economy here in CA, I may just have to go green and get my own protein.
mmmm, squirrel. dust it and fry it just like rabbit. or chicken.

we would fire up the old frydaddy and have a squirrel fry.

tasty. lots of dark meat.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #378
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
Squirrels?????

I know that here in CA, you don't want to eat ground squirrels. They do pick up the plague from fleas.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #379
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Squirrels?????

You're kidding, right? People do eat squirrel, especially in the South. Now here's my ignorance: I had no idea people ate birds smaller than a pigeon.

You would need a very accurate rifle shooting a .177 at moderate speeds for small birds. A .22 or a magnum .177 wouldn't leave much for dinner, IMHO.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #380
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
You're kidding, right? People do eat squirrel, especially in the South. Now here's my ignorance: I had no idea people ate birds smaller than a pigeon.

You would need a very accurate rifle shooting a .177 at moderate speeds for small birds. A .22 or a magnum .177 wouldn't leave much for dinner, IMHO.
I used to hunt the birds in the woods with a sling shot, when I was about 11yrs old and also frogs with a sling shot, I myself made the sling shots with tree branches and inner tubes from car tires.

I once hit a bird on flight.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #381
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
sure you can eat squirrels, i wouldnt bother with urban ones though they eat all the trash left lying around. same for feral pigeons, only go for the clean country living fellas that have been living off farmers profits.
ive eaten many birds smaller than a pigeon, but if they are smaller (and pigeons themselves tbh) dont bother with the whole bird, just cut the breast meat out. with pigeons you stand on the wings and pull on the legs and it rips the breast meat out cleanly
Old 06-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #382
Bodwick
Odd Bod

Oddometer: 1,209
A good, simple video on how to joint a rabbit...

Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #383
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,634
Crosman Nitro Venom follow up

Alright, I said I'd post up my thoughts, so hear ya go. Take this as a "Beginner Dives In" review, not expert commentary. I don't shoot much, and this is my first go with a scoped gun, the artillery hold, etc.

So, without further do, some photos:

Crosman Nitro Venom in .22 cal. Wood stock. Purchased from Pyramid Air- their shipping is super fast. I also grabbed several tins of different pellets. Most, if not all this testing was done with Crosman hollow points, 14.3 grams. I think the total for gun and 5 tins of ammo was $209 to my door.

The box:

Kit includes a 3-9x32 Center Point Optics scope. This gets bad reviews online, but I don't have much to compare it to. Fits on a picatinny rail, already installed on the gun.

All Assembled:

If you're like me, you also read all the online reviews before purchasing and saw that people were bitching about some mold release or dirt on the rubber. I didn't think it was a big deal at all, but whatever. This is what they're talking about:

First impressions were two-fold: 1, this gun is heavy. It'd be a load for a kid or shooting a lot of offhand. It comes in a synthetic stock too, which is about a pound lighter. The Pyramid Air site lists them the same, but the Crosman literature says it's about a pound lighter. Had I known, I MIGHT have gone synthetic. 2nd, the grip on this thing is thick. I've got large to average hands, and it feels huge. Like on my shotgun, I can get my hand around the grip almost like grabbing a baseball bat, where as this feels more like I'm shaking hands with it than wrapping it up. I'm getting used to it though. The box does imply that they've re-designed the stock to facilitate the artillery hold, so I don't know if that is part of it or not. Grip and knurling:

The whole thing. Note, case wasn't part of the package.

Since we discussed it earlier in the thread, the first thing I did was clean the barrel. It was dirty right out of the box. This was the first pass through with a dry patch before any shots fired. It was even more gross with some solvent on the patch.

I started sighting in the scope at 22'. Here are the very first shots out of the box:

I kinda wish I would have bought a gun with both scope and open sights, but that seems to bump you up to the next price range. Here's the next group at 22' after getting the scope close:

I then moved back to 47' (14.3 meters, versus the standard of 10 meters), which is all the distance I can muster out of my basement (all these are indoor shots, no wind). This is the first few at that new distance. Still figuring out the scope settings and the trigger. Two things about that: what appear to be adjustment knobs on the scope are actually caps- I think a lot of bad reviews on the scope are because people were turning the caps and expecting to get a windage or elevation change. You have to pull them off to reveal the actual adjustment dials. Also, the stock trigger is HEAVY. I couldn't ever tell when it was actually going to fire. It sucked. Note about firing this indoors: it's not loud. I'm sure you could hear it upstairs, but you wouldn't ever think of needing ear protection or anything. It sounds about like an electric stapler, maybe as loud as my porter-cable pneumatic finish nailer.

So before I'd even shot it 50 times, I ordered and installed a GRTIII trigger. 30 bucks, totally well spent. It makes for a very light pull. I didn't adjust it at all. 10 min to install, and this was my first attempt at even the most minor gunsmithing.

In messing around, it is sensitive to the type of pellet. I was getting good groups with an RWS pellet that was light weight (~11 grams) but the group was off target compared to where I'd sighted in with the Crosmans. I will probably dive into this more, but it's not an issue. Crosmans are easy to find and cheap. My one concern is that there is a noticeable inconsistency in the pellet castint- some are easy to load, other stick. strange. Not sure yet if this is contributing to some 'fliers' that are clearly not part of a tight group.

So, with the GRTIII trigger and a few more rounds through it, here's tonight's effort from 47'. The circles are 2cm in diameter, or just over 3/4 inch. 5 shots at each circle. I'm still learning, and I'm not sure I've got the scope dialed in right at all. But I do think that even with my inconsistencies, there is a tendency to have some outliers in the group that I can't quite explain. I'm going to keep trying. The gun is accurate, but not amazing. Power is impressive. I don't have a chrono, but it'll put a hollow point round right through a piece of pine pallet. It will bury a round into oak, but not pierce a 3/4" piece of oak.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #384
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,892
looks like what ever pellet you used gets along with that barrel...
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #385
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
I was reading reviews on this gun and would laugh a little
at the scope remarks wondering if they were turning the caps

Easy mistake if you not into guns/hunting etc...

Good review you wrote,
thanks
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #386
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oh, I forgot to mention the best part: Zero problem finding ammoe, and this is some seriously cheap-ass plinking! a tin of 500 is like 8 bucks or something? winner!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #387
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
Finally got the ammo for my Diana yesterday. I will shoot it for the first time tonight. I got it with a scope as well, but it has fiber optic sights on it which I will zero first.

So it's a good thing to clean the barrel first, then eh? Anything else I should do before I shoot it for the first time?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #388
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Finally got the ammo for my Diana yesterday. I will shoot it for the first time tonight. I got it with a scope as well, but it has fiber optic sights on it which I will zero first.

So it's a good thing to clean the barrel first, then eh? Anything else I should do before I shoot it for the first time?
The only other thing that I did was check that all the fastening hardware was tight. Screws attaching the stock to the upper/action/business part (whatever you call all that on an air gun) needed some tightening. Yours likely has a little better build/QC program than mine.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #389
Cris
AB+

Oddometer: 132
Just noticed this thread...

Here's an old pic of my Unlimited Class PCP Field Target comp rig. It has 'extensively' been modified since this pic. :) The glass in this pic was also just temporary test equipment at the time.

I also run a few rigs set up for 'back-yard' type pests as well.

You could say that I am a fan of 'BB guns,' as some of my buddy's like to call them.

At one point I was shooting approx 2,000 rounds per month.

I can also hold my own with my centerfire rigs as well...

Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #390
redirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
WOW ^^^^

I'm still learning about the wide world of "bb" guns
That's a very nice piece of work, where does one find out more? I'm learning on a 2240 that's slowly becoming something else..
redirt is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: