Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSrider View Post
Also, you will be surprised how slow you can go in first with the clutch fully engaged without stalling the engine.
Without touching the clutch, throttle management must be very precise and smooth. You should hardly feel the throttle move.
A good way to get used to the very slow speed on your big/tall machine is to find an empty parking lot and instead of playing with clutch and throttle, get it in first and had a tiny bit of "choke" (high idle lever for cold start). When you get used to that speed, take some off and go even slower. Keep going... It's a lot easier to be smooth with the high idle lever. When you are used to the very slow speed work, then stop using the high idle lever and work on your throttle control. It is usually easier to work one thing at the time.
Good luck.
1200's don't have a manual cold start enrichment system...
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
QSrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
1200's don't have a manual cold start enrichment system...
Thanks. Sorry I missed that.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #18
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenws View Post
I've got a 2009 GSA. A couple years experience riding. Been trying to improve my slow speed skills. Recently took the MSF experienced rider course and did well with everything except the figure 8.

Ok, here's the question: I've been practicing figure 8s and u-turns in first gear and having some trouble with "jumpy" throttle input - even while feathering the clutch. Tonight I tried using 2nd gear and the throttle response seemed much smoother and easier to maintain. Should I continue practicing the slow speed stuff in 2nd gear or work on getting better in 1st gear?
I also did the MSF course when I got my new 2001 GS. Regarding figure 8s, I never practiced them on the GS...too heavy for me (we were given small Yams and Kaws for use during the MSF course). So, I practiced figure 0s in both directions. These days, I stay out of parking lots. Also, I often will pull away from a stop in 2nd gear. I find nothing wrong with your use of 2nd gear/ slipping the clutch at low speeds to improve control...but, admittedly, I'm no expert.
def is offline   Reply With Quote