Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #1816
KaaJa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
Quick question: Want to go on a ~2000 mile ride with a friend who will be on a sport tourer so it will be 100% street, and hopefully 90% twisties.
What is the best tire for the SE for aggressive street riding?

I know on my 950 Adventure the Pirelli Scorpions were very good street tires, I appreciate any suggestions for the SE. With this motor and this suspension, I am expecting there is some ridiculous rubber that will facilitate some sportbiker embarrasment..

Conti TrailAttack
Old 06-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #1817
mathews42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Will one of you SE owners be so gracious as to post a picture of your front wheel at the left and right side of your forks, I believe I may be short spacer on my axle.

I'm getting some low speed wobble which I thought was not balancing the tire.

Thanks
Beads in the headlight a Flying Aga Tale by Isabel Dyson I met these two travelers on their Journey from the UK to Alaska and through South America on a 1979 BMW R100RS. Their book is now on Amazon for Kindle.
mathews42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #1818
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 738
spacer's

You are not missing a spacer. On the right side the axle makes it look like your missing it but your not.
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #1819
mathews42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
You are not missing a spacer. On the right side the axle makes it look like your missing it but your not.
You are right, I just took it apart re-greased and re-assembled, I guess my tires just off balance, at low speeds on slab I can tell.
Beads in the headlight a Flying Aga Tale by Isabel Dyson I met these two travelers on their Journey from the UK to Alaska and through South America on a 1979 BMW R100RS. Their book is now on Amazon for Kindle.
mathews42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #1820
JustinT
I will ride my whole life

Oddometer: 942
How do yall carry spare fuel on this bike? I don't have $ for larger tank and don't have luggage so its a blank slate. Just looking for ideas to carry 2 gal (maybe 1) only when needed. Pictures would be great so I can see how bulky the setup is!

Also is there a decent tank. Bag for the stock tank that is quick on and off?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #1821
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,368
if you have a rear tail plate - 1g rotopax is a solution for fuel. dromedary bag will work, but smelly. carry a couple of 1L bottles in your camelback. if you had luggage brackets and 2-in-1 exhaust you could fasten bottle holders. other than that you gotta suck it up and pay up for the bigger tanks.

rotopax attached to rear plate

i'm running the wolfman enduro tank bag. you won't be putting a lot into it but it's big enough for the essentials. four point attachment harness. harness stays on the big, tank bag easily unsnaps from clips and off you go.

tank bag (and my ugly mug)
Old 06-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #1822
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,964
My solution for extra fuel. I have upgraded the 1 liter bottle to 1.5 liter bottles.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #1823
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
The rear splash protector has a heat shield on it where the exhaust distribution tube passes very near.

The heat shield looks like a fibre glass matt with metal foil on it.
I can not find this part anywhere in the parts microfiches. My dealer suggested that the previous owner perhaps installed it and that this part is not stock on the SE.

Does anybody have more info about this "heat shield"?
Do other SE's have this heat shield piece on their splash protector?
Is it necessary or can the plastic (?) splash protector part withstand the heat radiated from the exhaust distribution tube?

Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #1824
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schannulleke View Post
Do other SE's have this heat shield piece on their splash protector?
We have the splash protector but no heat sheild, don't know if it was removed by PO or if it was never there sorry.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #1825
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,917
The foil heat shield is Not OEM stock

The Plastic will handle the Heat
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #1826
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
Quick question: Want to go on a ~2000 mile ride with a friend who will be on a sport tourer so it will be 100% street, and hopefully 90% twisties.
What is the best tire for the SE for aggressive street riding?

I know on my 950 Adventure the Pirelli Scorpions were very good street tires, I appreciate any suggestions for the SE. With this motor and this suspension, I am expecting there is some ridiculous rubber that will facilitate some sportbiker embarrasment..

I have Conti TAs with about 2000 miles of pure street riding. They improved my gas mileage as compared to the D908, and the slab ride is smoother, but I was expecting the SE would be a canyon carver by just swapping out the rubber...not so (for me).

My experience is a couple cruisers, a DRZ 400S, XR 650R, R1100GS, KTM 500 XCW, and KTM 300XC - all of which have been ridden through twisty slab. The XR and 500 with DOT dirt tires, and the 300 with pure dirt rubber.

Without a doubt, I feel most sketchy on the SE, even with the Contis. I think it has more to do with the suspension being set up for fast desert riding, the angles of the bike, and the large 21" front wheel. Or I may just be a terrible rider .

I used to chew up sportbike riders in the canyons on my GS, though.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #1827
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
I have Conti TAs with about 2000 miles of pure street riding. They improved my gas mileage as compared to the D908, and the slab ride is smoother, but I was expecting the SE would be a canyon carver by just swapping out the rubber...not so (for me).

My experience is a couple cruisers, a DRZ 400S, XR 650R, R1100GS, KTM 500 XCW, and KTM 300XC - all of which have been ridden through twisty slab. The XR and 500 with DOT dirt tires, and the 300 with pure dirt rubber.

Without a doubt, I feel most sketchy on the SE, even with the Contis. I think it has more to do with the suspension being set up for fast desert riding, the angles of the bike, and the large 21" front wheel. Or I may just be a terrible rider .

I used to chew up sportbike riders in the canyons on my GS, though.
I think suspension is your number one problem once that is dialed it rails pretty good for a 450lb dirt bike. Brakes are easily over taxed when you are pushing it though.
v8toilet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #1828
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 197
Not new to me 950SER

So, it's taken me about three weeks to get through this whole thread: taking notes, following links, agreeing, disagreeing. You know the drill. I've also got a bunch of other bikes that require constant internet care and feeding. Oh, yeah, and I've got a job, too. Almost forgot.
What follows is my feeble attempt to catch up. I rode one of these in Salinas (Pinit's - R.I.P.) when they first came out, but just couldn't pull the pin. I've followed PowerCell's various exploits, seemingly from the beginning of time.
I picked this '09 (build date - 1/08) up just after Turkey Day 2010 in Tucson, AZ. It was on consignment at the local dealer and had 1800mi on it. A Tucson riding compadre of mine checked it out and told me to come arunnin'. Complete canisterectomy, Uni pre-filter, and original cans. I suspect the PO stripped the Akras, or whatever, and sold them separately. No other mods/upgrades. From what we got at the dealer the PO evidently changes bikes with the same frequency as I change my socks - every six months, or so; and he never rides them much. Bad deal for him. Good deal for me.
Below is me getting ready to slab-it from Tucson to Monterey, CA, with a stop for the night at my daughter's place in Hollywood. ~850mi in 24hrs. The smile on my face at the start, what you can see of it, was gone by the time I got home. Slab, SoCal traffic, high winds everywhere, and gas stops every 20min each took their toll. Even though I was clearly ready to get off by the time I got home, I was sold on the bike.

Now for the requisite mods performed immediately:
- Black Dog - skidplate, sidestand relocator, centerstand, topplate - thanks Kurt & Martha.
- CJ - footpeg extension - something I appreciate each and every time I ride.
- KTM - pillion pegs - my wife has ridden on the back, but I use them mostly for a change of position or another tie-off point.
- Akra - Ti end cans - the stock pipes burned up on the ride home. I guess that SAS deal actually has an impact.
- Cycra - real bark busters.
- Wolfman - BBerg sideracks - Don't think these are available anymore and that's too bad.
- Safari - Exxon-Valdez wannabe tank. (IF ANYBODY'S INTERESTED IN THIS, SEND ME A PM. I COULD BE PERSUADED TO LET IT GO.)
- Miscellaneous - Garmin mount, Doubletake mirrors, TT manual rollchart, Flexxjets, Hyde windscreen.

I'm generally pretty easy on my bikes and this one has not been an exception. Although I've done single-track, my comfort zone really ends at two-track. Bike's got 21K on it and been North to AK, on the CDT, through the Sierras, and out in the Mojave. I would not hesitate riding this thing anywhere, anytime.

Typical problem list:
- Fuel pump - replaced points at 12K. I pulled it into the garage working fine. The next morning - no go. Everybody needs to flex their soldering skills. Still working. Even though I have a Facet at the ready in the garage, I'm getting ready to go the vacuum route just for fun.
- Water pump - rebuilt at 12K. I was in there and thought - what the heck. I've got another kit at-the-ready and will probably do another rebuild later in the year, just because.
- Rusty spokes - did the Woody's stainless superlace.
- Seat - swapped the stocker out after I got back from AK for a Renazco, but ultimately went back to stock because James' seat just added to much height for my needs and use. Great seat, though. I have them on my 690 Duke and 690ER.
- Safari tank sending unit weep - never had a problem until I got stuck in border traffic coming South out of Vancouver. I was getting the once over from the border agent when he looked at me and said, "you seem to be leaking fuel; you can go." Inspection showed that I could put pressure on the unit and it would stop, so I continued on my way. At some point I noticed it was no longer leaking and that was that. When I pulled the tank in Seattle it turned out the sending unit retaining screws were loose. I guess they backed off with all it in-and-out of city riding. Tightened them up and the problem has never re-occurred. That was June, 2011.
- Inadequate subframe: I'm not seeing it...
This is the Exxon Valdez loaded with too much stuff for the trip up the haul road in 2011. I jettisoned about half when we hit Haines Junction. Over 8,000mi in 23 days - OR, WA, BC, AB, YK, AK and back. Temps 25 to 55degF - snow, sleet, rain, fog, some sun, and fires. Too early in the year, I guess, so some of the roads weren't open yet. Lots of fun. Beadrider saved my ass, so to speak. BTW, I think V8T said there's no off-road on this trip. I have to agree, although we tried.

This is the bike loaded for the CDT in 2012. Stock tank this time along with two 1gal Rotopaks. I don't use the Rotopak retaining mounts. I just secure the packs with 5/8" RocStraps. No matter how many naps I take, they never seem to move. Summer camping packing is much easier than winter. I like the Wolfman Expedition Dry Bags a lot, although they are rather fiddly with all the straps and cinches.

Tires : I've run K60 Scouts, Scorps (they were all that was available and I needed tires), 908s, and 606s. In general, I like the 908/606 combination, although both pictures here show Scouts. Mileage has been all over the map. Like most, it's a function of the riding surface and how it's being attacked. I've read good things about MotoOz, so will probably give them a try on the back. Others I know put a Scout on the back with a 606 on the front and that seems to work, although I'm not sure.

Oil: Motorex 10W50, summer and winter, change right around 3,000mi. Filter and crush washer at that time, too. Never replaced the screens. Just clean them.

Battery: Finally shit the bed about a month ago. I've replaced it with a Shorai. I know. I know. Only time will tell. I've got friends that both swear at and by them. I've got to run my own experiment.

Latest mod: Motohooligan intake w/H2W jet kit - way on the other side of cool! I got fed up with the time and effort it took to be able to address anything
with the carbs. For me this is the only way to go...

All the stuff that went away -

After all this time I've yet to address the suspension. That's probably OK, since I don't really push things too much. It is next on the list, though.

I think I'm all caught up now, so feel as though I've been here all along. You will now be returned to your regularly scheduled programming...

Monterey_BS screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 07:30 PM
Monterey_BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #1829
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 910
Anyone ever try to fit one of these dampers or similar to their SE

Possible ? They make one for a 990 Superduke and the price is right. $230

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #1830
LOZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
Has anybody relocated 950SE original fuelpump from fuel tank to frame? Where? Do you have any pics?
I would like to avoid disconnecting electrical connectors and fuel hoses every time I have to remove fuel tank.
I'm also installing CPR air filter, so I will have little more room under fuel tank.

heres where i put my facet

loz

LOZ is offline   Reply With Quote