Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #77896
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
Looking at buying a clean, well cared for 2003 DR650 with 22,000 miles. Would this be suitable for an Alaska trip "the hard way" - up the Cassiar. Actually I am a Canuck so I would like to take it to Tuktoyaktuk. Anyhoo - lots of gravel.

I dont have mega bucks and this baby is a good price, just not sure if its too old with too many miles.
You never know, but i would trust it, i sold one with 52,000 miles on it, there is one down the road from where i live, i drive by it all the time, it has over 100,000 miles on it, all stock.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #77897
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,743
Quote:
Looking at buying a clean, well cared for 2003 DR650 with 22,000 miles. Would this be suitable for an Alaska trip "the hard way" - up the Cassiar. Actually I am a Canuck so I would like to take it to Tuktoyaktuk. Anyhoo - lots of gravel.

I dont have mega bucks and this baby is a good price, just not sure if its too old with too many miles.
Mine's done OK.

Replace the wheel bearings, cush hub bearing (and rubbers), chain, sprockets and ride for another 22k.

You should grease the steering head bearings and the rear suspension linkage pivot bearings and swingarm bearings.

If Cassiar is really the hard way, I'd recommend emulators and springs in the front and a Cogent shock in the rear. It will keep things from shaking themselves to bits on all the washboard you're going to be riding.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #77898
shu

Oddometer: 968
Quote:

I'd do it. 22,000 miles is not a lot for a DR.

Mine has 63,000 miles now and I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a trip like that. Make sure your chain and sprockets are fresh and do the 'big service' (new plugs, set valves, etc.) before you go.

.........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #77899
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Cool2 Knobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnchair View Post
Greetings and salutations. I mounted a pair of D606's to my 2011 DR and threw the Trailwings in the corner. I went for a ride yesterday, and at 55 mph. on the freeway the bike felt VERY unstable. 28psi front 26 psi rear (35 psi @ max load described on tire). The Trail wings were stable on road and slippery off. I had a 180 mi. day yesterday with 40 on freeway the rest on fire roads. Off road the bike felt more stable standing up, and twitchy seated. Bumps at freeway speeds (on freeway) would induce a wobble and I would never want to ride without both hands gripped. I would prefer this style of riding
So, should I pull the front and re-check the balance? Re-pressurize at a different value, check the forks? (I did buy the DR new from a Dealer but the front turn signals were wired wrong and the headlamp not plugged in so I am not sure if there was an issue at the time I bought it.) The front end has seemed fine before I mounted these 606's. Thanks in advance for insight o' knowledgable ones.
Greetings Lawnchair!

Have you ever ridden any bike with full knobbies on the freeway?
If not, what you felt is probably normal.

Full knobs really squirm and move around and the faster you go on a paved smooth surface, the scarier it might feel.
NEW knobbies are the worst too.
It is something most of us get used to, but the first time....

The front tire is the worst offender of course.
Holding the bars tight will also make it worse, not better.
The bike needs to be able to move around some to track straight..

This is assuming that the wheels are aligned, the tires are round, etc.

Put your thumb on a knob and push it around.
Now picture that knob and a couple of its neighbors being the only contact with the ground at 55 mph with 200-300 lbs riding on them...

Many riders think they have flat tires the first time they ride fast on a paved road with new knobbies since the bike feels so loose.

Many of us ride on a freeway with a knobbie at times, but it is NOT an ideal front tire for that!

Twitchy front end off road? Probably needs more weight on the front.
The tire needs to be loaded to be effective.

You bought it new and the dealer hadn't set it up correctly?
And the dealers wonder why we don't trust them to work on our bikes?
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #77900
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
+1

The 606s will get better with a few miles on them but they won't EVER feel like street tires on pavement. They do work pretty well off tho. Tires, seats, windscreens and oil seem to elicit lot of personal opinions. Here's mine. I like the Duro HF904 as a compromise rear ... good balance of on/off performance and excellent wear life. On the front I like the IRC GP-1 (70/30) or the IRC TR-8 (30/70). Not really optimum for deep mud or sugar sand but then nothing is short of a real knobbies.
Pretty much spot on!
My D606 front scared me too when new and running to much pressure.
Once it's done some miles and been leaned over a bit on pavement, it will improve. I'd try somewhere between 22 and 25 PSI for the front, 25 PSI for the rear D606.

The 50/50 tires mentioned are FAR better road tires. But if going into more serious off road, the D606 is your man. Learn to relax your grip and get used the movement, it's normal.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #77901
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
I'd do it. 22,000 miles is not a lot for a DR.

Mine has 63,000 miles now and I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a trip like that. Make sure your chain and sprockets are fresh and do the 'big service' (new plugs, set valves, etc.) before you go.

.........shu
PLUS ONE! Not a big deal. Go through the bike and check everything and do appropriate (and affordable) upgrades and hit the road. you'll be fine.
Fresh oil and filters, clean carb, good tires, spare tubes and tools, you should be OK.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #77902
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I have read so many comments about the 606 as well and I have never added my own. Well, I agree with you and I think the 606 up front is a horrible tire. I am going to leave it at that before someone tells me to STFU.......
They will have to tell us both! After 15 straight days of riding and about 2400 miles I switched out my GP1s for a set of 606s. I thought I was going to wreck going straight. This is on gravel roads, NOT PAVEMENT. The 606s want to track around. I tried diffrent pressures with no luck. I put another 3000 miles in 15 more days...they never got better. I could run 15-20mph faster on gravel with the gp1s. No more 606s for this guy.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #77903
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Ok, ill bite. I wouldn't buy one with 22k miles personally. There are too many well cared for ones with less miles less apt to give you issues. Heard of steering head bearings at 40k, some with wheel bearing issues at 25k while others have no issues at 60k, same with rear linkage, etc. How was it ridden? Was it neglected?

I will say its prolly good. I will also say your odds are even better with lower mileage. Mines approaching 22k at this point, though 14k of that has been in the last 2 months and only a cct gasket has failed me..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #77904
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
They will have to tell us both! After 15 straight days of riding and about 2400 miles I switched out my GP1s for a set of 606s. I thought I was going to wreck going straight. This is on gravel roads, NOT PAVEMENT. The 606s want to track around. I tried diffrent pressures with no luck. I put another 3000 miles in 15 more days...they never got better. I could run 15-20mph faster on gravel with the gp1s. No more 606s for this guy.
I'm telling you- its the front and I feel EXACTLY the same. The 606 rear is awesome when using a different front. Give the MT21 front a shot. The GP1 rear sucks compared to the 606.. read around online.. MANY are happy with mt21 front/606 rear
Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #77905
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I'm telling you- its the front and I feel EXACTLY the same. The 606 rear is awesome when using a different front. Give the MT21 front a shot. The GP1 rear sucks compared to the 606.. read around online.. MANY are happy with mt21 front/606 rear
A cheaper front option that I'm going to try and many say is awesome is the IRC TR8. Its supposed to be great everywhere, last a long time and its not directional so you can flip it. Cheaper than a GP1 as well.. maybe try a tr8 front 606 rear?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #77906
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:

Thanks for the replies gang - I'll do the test ride tomorrow and see how it goes.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #77907
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Lots-o-miles...

I'm impressed by the high mileage DR owners have achieved. The comments about lubing the swing arm, steering head and wheel bearings has me wondering:

Is there a specific grease for each of these? What do you use?

I have a can of waterproof wheel bearing grease that I use for my boat trailer bearings. Are there any attributes lacking in that?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #77908
Lawnchair
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
airin down before going down

Thanks for the many informative replies! I aired the front down to 24 psi. and hope as it gets more wear and broke-in it will provide some better stability. I checked the rear pre-load and the adj. collars are 2/3rds the way down the range (compressing the spring) The fork tubes are all the way up in the clamps. The bead is seated and uniform around the rim. I ride as far forward as my Wolfman allows. I have learned that a death grip is the grip of death. I hope to get a few miles out of the 606 it before I give up on it but the suggestions are helpful. I don't plan to use my DR as a road bike (I have an old one of those) but I was really freaked out with the change to full knobs, and I was unsure if there was another issue that came about with the bike from the change. I am a O.F.F. , but Speed has never really provided a sense of FEAR as these knobs at 60 on the freeway. Why I can remember a time when......
Lawnchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #77909
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I'm impressed by the high mileage DR owners have achieved. The comments about lubing the swing arm, steering head and wheel bearings has me wondering:

Is there a specific grease for each of these? What do you use?

I have a can of waterproof wheel bearing grease that I use for my boat trailer bearings. Are there any attributes lacking in that?
perfect. use that.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #77910
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
A cheaper front option that I'm going to try and many say is awesome is the IRC TR8. Its supposed to be great everywhere, last a long time and its not directional so you can flip it. Cheaper than a GP1 as well.. maybe try a tr8 front 606 rear?
The TR8 is a great front dual-sport tire.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote