Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #77896
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
They will have to tell us both! After 15 straight days of riding and about 2400 miles I switched out my GP1s for a set of 606s. I thought I was going to wreck going straight. This is on gravel roads, NOT PAVEMENT. The 606s want to track around. I tried diffrent pressures with no luck. I put another 3000 miles in 15 more days...they never got better. I could run 15-20mph faster on gravel with the gp1s. No more 606s for this guy.
I'm telling you- its the front and I feel EXACTLY the same. The 606 rear is awesome when using a different front. Give the MT21 front a shot. The GP1 rear sucks compared to the 606.. read around online.. MANY are happy with mt21 front/606 rear
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #77897
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I'm telling you- its the front and I feel EXACTLY the same. The 606 rear is awesome when using a different front. Give the MT21 front a shot. The GP1 rear sucks compared to the 606.. read around online.. MANY are happy with mt21 front/606 rear
A cheaper front option that I'm going to try and many say is awesome is the IRC TR8. Its supposed to be great everywhere, last a long time and its not directional so you can flip it. Cheaper than a GP1 as well.. maybe try a tr8 front 606 rear?
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #77898
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
Looking at buying a clean, well cared for 2003 DR650 with 22,000 miles. Would this be suitable for an Alaska trip "the hard way" - up the Cassiar. Actually I am a Canuck so I would like to take it to Tuktoyaktuk. Anyhoo - lots of gravel.

I dont have mega bucks and this baby is a good price, just not sure if its too old with too many miles.
Thanks for the replies gang - I'll do the test ride tomorrow and see how it goes.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #77899
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,323
Lots-o-miles...

I'm impressed by the high mileage DR owners have achieved. The comments about lubing the swing arm, steering head and wheel bearings has me wondering:

Is there a specific grease for each of these? What do you use?

I have a can of waterproof wheel bearing grease that I use for my boat trailer bearings. Are there any attributes lacking in that?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #77900
Lawnchair
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
airin down before going down

Thanks for the many informative replies! I aired the front down to 24 psi. and hope as it gets more wear and broke-in it will provide some better stability. I checked the rear pre-load and the adj. collars are 2/3rds the way down the range (compressing the spring) The fork tubes are all the way up in the clamps. The bead is seated and uniform around the rim. I ride as far forward as my Wolfman allows. I have learned that a death grip is the grip of death. I hope to get a few miles out of the 606 it before I give up on it but the suggestions are helpful. I don't plan to use my DR as a road bike (I have an old one of those) but I was really freaked out with the change to full knobs, and I was unsure if there was another issue that came about with the bike from the change. I am a O.F.F. , but Speed has never really provided a sense of FEAR as these knobs at 60 on the freeway. Why I can remember a time when......
Lawnchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #77901
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I'm impressed by the high mileage DR owners have achieved. The comments about lubing the swing arm, steering head and wheel bearings has me wondering:

Is there a specific grease for each of these? What do you use?

I have a can of waterproof wheel bearing grease that I use for my boat trailer bearings. Are there any attributes lacking in that?
perfect. use that.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #77902
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,830
Quote:
A cheaper front option that I'm going to try and many say is awesome is the IRC TR8. Its supposed to be great everywhere, last a long time and its not directional so you can flip it. Cheaper than a GP1 as well.. maybe try a tr8 front 606 rear?
The TR8 is a great front dual-sport tire.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #77903
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,709
Quote:
I'm impressed by the high mileage DR owners have achieved. The comments about lubing the swing arm,
My swing arm bearings were ok when I checked and greased them. My desk puter died so I can't look up when that happened; somewhere around 30k miles IIRC
Quote:
steering head
My steering head bearings needed to be greased before I got to them, and should be done before 20K (again, I can't look at my records). I had seen this posted before and those posts were correct; Zuki didn't waste any money on greasing the steering head.
Quote:
and wheel bearings has me wondering:
The stock single seal wheel bearings have a pretty good reputation for long life. I replaced mine because I spend too much time on the internet and had seen them mentioned a few times (looks like 20,800 miles, on the box in the drawer). All four were in good condition when removed. I replaced the stockers with an aftermarket brand with double seals. Then I read on the internet that the ones I used were 'of questionable quality'. So many thousands of miles later (looks like 8k, another old box in the drawer), I decided to go back to the OEM bearings, this time double sealing them, using seals off of the old bearings; like this:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=81

Every time you have a wheel off, stick a finger in the bearings and spin them, feeling for notchiness. If there's ANY roughness, replace them as soon as possible.

Quote:
Is there a specific grease for each of these?
Idealistically, yes. But NASA doesn't read this thread.
Quote:
What do you use?
My newest favorite is a marine grease, I think from Pep Boys. It's soft and gushy, easy to knead into the bearing rollers; unlike some of the stiff wheel bearing stuff with the consistency of roofing tar.

Quote:
If you're happy with it for the boat trailer, and since it's waterproof, sounds good to me.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #77904
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnchair View Post
ride as far forward as my Wolfman allows.
That's a little unnerving having that thing touch yer junk, izznit?

Quote:
I don't plan to use my DR as a road bike (I have an old one of those) but I was really freaked out with the change to full knobs, and I was unsure if there was another issue that came about with the bike from the change. I am a O.F.F. , but Speed has never really provided a sense of FEAR as these knobs at 60 on the freeway. Why I can remember a time when......
Remember this: it's a dirt bike with knobbies, it's supposed to wiggle like a girl. You remember those right?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #77905
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
That's a little unnerving having that thing touch yer junk, izznit?
Maybe his "Wolfman" IS his junk. One of my friends used to call his "Little Elvis".

Something touching the Wolfman is really only a problem if he's not into that kind of thing. He might be shy though. Who knows?

Quote:
Remember this: it's a chunky dirt bike with knobbies, it's supposed to wiggle like a fat girl. You remember those right?
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #77906
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,059
Quote:
I know this is subjective but I'm gonna say the problem is the 606 front. I have grown to not like that tire. I started with 606s and didn't know any better. Eventually I read about people talking about low speed almost-washouts and the like with the 606 front and decided to try a 606 rear and an mt21 front. That combo works perfect for me.

Because I can't plan for shit and I'm thousands of miles from home, I buy tires at shops when I need them. All the last shop had for the front was a 606 so I took it- immediately I have the same washouts and such. Its stable for me on the street, and works good in mud, but I hate the 606 front in gravel. Its also directional which sucks because you can't flip the tire to extend its life once you wear off the edges.

As always, ymmv. Others like the 606 front and it may have a bunch to do with your riding style
There are quite a few tires that are only liked as rears, but not fronts...

D606- Many don't like the front in gravel, sand, or mud.

K270- Many don't like the front while leaned on pavement.

K760- Many don't like the front on any surface.

K761- Front wears funny.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #77907
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
There are quite a few tires that are only liked as rears, but not fronts...

D606- Many don't like the front in gravel, sand, or mud.

K270- Many don't like the front while leaned on pavement.

K760- Many don't like the front on any surface.

K761- Front wears funny.
I'll add my experience:

IRC GP-110- Quietest on pavement, not too good in sand at all, a little squirrely on pavement

Shinko 244- Offroad grip not as impressive as it looks, noisy as a knobby onroad, not confidence inspiring in corners

Michelin T63- Noisy onroad, good grip and feel onroad and off, wears in 3k miles but is cheap so it's my first choice

Haven't tried 606 or Kendas yet
Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #77908
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,323
My experience with the Shinko 244 was it was fine for the price. Cheap as heck. Mounted it in Cresent City California when the volcanic rock in Ore and Wash ate the T63 up.
The Shinko lasted well and did a good job. The problem was removing it. It was a real bitch to break the bead. I ride with a 3 time ISDE rider and he couldn't even break that bead. I think if I had a puncture out in the woods I'd be riding it flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #77909
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
My experience with the Shinko 244 was it was fine for the price. Cheap as heck. Mounted it in Cresent City California when the volcanic rock in Ore and Wash ate the T63 up.
The Shinko lasted well and did a good job. The problem was removing it. It was a real bitch to break the bead. I ride with a 3 time ISDE rider and he couldn't even break that bead. I think if I had a puncture out in the woods I'd be riding it flat.
I just mounted 244's to my DR. The rear was a bit stiff (Not nearly as stiff as the OEM BT20 rear on my ST1300, tho) and didn't really loosen up much with the old leave it out in the sun for hours trick. The front, by comparison, fairly fell on the rim.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #77910
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
The trick for any tire out on the trail is to use the kickstand of another bike to break the bead, I've never had that technique fail. The trick is the leverage and letting the weight of the bike do all the work. Even my wife's little XT225 has more than enough weight to break the toughest bead.

If you are on your own, you just have to get creative, but I have used logs and sticks and rocks to good effect!

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote