Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Wanted OP
Dead or Alive

Oddometer: 89
Asia route?

Hey,

I am trying to plan a route through the Middle East/Asia I can ride through in 2015 After finishing up in Africa. I will be riding through Turkey and from then I will have approximately 6 months to see as much of Asia as I possibly can before heading to North America.

I understand China, Myanmar, and Vietnam are all pretty much out of bounds for foreign motorcycles and attempting to ride through there is futile..

So I need help with a route, I am not trying to make it through these countries as fast as I can, so I can allow a couple of months extra but am trying to keep it around 6-7 months.

My route I have been thinking is Starting in Turkey, ride up to Georgia, then down to Iran, across to Turkmenistan, down through Iran again to the south side, across southern Pakistan, into India, ride to southern India and back up the West to Nepal. Here, I think the easiest move will be to store the bike and go backpack through eastern Asia including Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, Japan, and Korea. Fly back to the bike in Nepal, and head west again around China to Mongolia, then finally up into Russia where I will head for Vladivostok to ship the bike.

I want to get as close to the mountains as I can while transiting around China as I can't enter China via bike.

This is the route so far an I realize it isn't exactly practical, but to get in as many countries as I can on motorcycle, and without Shipping across Myanmar or China I cant see any other way. Why do these countries have to be so difficult.

If you can think of any alternative route than will allow me to go through the majority of countries via motorcycle it would be great to hear what you come up with. I also add that I do not mind splitting the trip and doing 3 months backpacking through the places I cant ride through, as this is part of a world trip and I don't have the need to ride the ENTIRE thing

Wanted screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 07:56 AM
Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted View Post
Why do these countries have to be so difficult.
Good news: it seems you CAN take your own moto into Vietnam now (though it´s maybe only from one border station, and absolutely nothing is guaranteed, but there have been several succesful attempts during the past few months!)

Burma & China, well... Burma is not very likely to happen on your own bike just yet. There have been a few groups, that have done it with a guide (but not from India to Thailand, more like entry from Thailand, exit to Thailand). China, it seems, is possible to arrange, but very very VERY costly, if you´re alone (cannot split guide costs), and you want to do entire China.

Pakistan<>China<>Kyrgyzstan, that one might be more realistically do-able, as you stay much shorter time inside China.

China/Burma dilemma is why most travellers ship their bikes by air from Nepal or India (not recommended - Nepal is probably easier to send from!) to Thailand or Malaysia. You could arrange to backpack in Burma, while your bike is being transported.

I did Europe-Turkey-Iran-Pakistan-India-Thailand-Malaysia-Indonesia-Oz five years ago. For me, it was a great trip.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 12:33 PM
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
Wanted OP
Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
I did Europe-Turkey-Iran-Pakistan-India-Thailand-Malaysia-Indonesia-Oz five years ago. For me, it was a great trip.
Did you freight your bike from Thailand to India? ..Burma is just a huge obstacle in this trip. I've thought about leaving the bike in Nepal and flying to the closest town in China, buying a bike and continue to Eastern China where I'd get rid of it. To be honest I've even thought about just taking my own bike into China illegally though i cant see that working out for too long haha
Old 06-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted View Post
Did you freight your bike from Thailand to India? ..Burma is just a huge obstacle in this trip. I've thought about leaving the bike in Nepal and flying to the closest town in China, buying a bike and continue to Eastern China where I'd get rid of it. To be honest I've even thought about just taking my own bike into China illegally though i cant see that working out for too long haha
I sent my bike by air from Chennai India to Bangkok Thailand. Cost me about 600 euros (by Malaysia Airlines MASKargo) and our flights were about 200 euros per head. This was 5 1/2 years ago, though. Indian bureaucracy was a bit of a handful, but I hear sending from Nepal should work just fine. Bangkok was a breeze. Sending across the Bay of Bengal gets done quite a bit actually, for me that´s not a showstopper.

Smuggling your bike into China, that plan could backfire very badly. Much more realistic to go there and buy something (but there will still be problems like Chinese drivers license, etc.)
Old 06-24-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
Wanted OP
Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
I sent my bike by air from Chennai India to Bangkok Thailand. Cost me about 600 euros (by Malaysia Airlines MASKargo) and our flights were about 200 euros per head. This was 5 1/2 years ago, though. Indian bureaucracy was a bit of a handful, but I hear sending from Nepal should work just fine. Bangkok was a breeze. Sending across the Bay of Bengal gets done quite a bit actually, for me that´s not a showstopper.

Smuggling your bike into China, that plan could backfire very badly. Much more realistic to go there and buy something (but there will still be problems like Chinese drivers license, etc.)
Thanks for the reply man, doesn't sound too bad actually. Yeah the idea of buying something in China is much more appealing, I've read of people buying a Chinese bike and just trying their luck on an IDL. Tibet is a different can of worms all together... could be worth just joining a tour to get across but so damn expensive
Old 08-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Kernalpanx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Buying a bike and getting it registered is easy in China. The problem is cops pull bikes over all the time to check paper work... Beijing to Hebei a short 185 km I had my paper work checked twice. The other thing is gas stations around Beijing and shanghai are asking for drivers license to fill gas... But sure what other cities are doing that. If you get caught with fake license no plates our fake plates it is a criminal offense now

Sent from my GT-I9308 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Kernalpanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
The most interesting bits will be the mountains. Tajikistan, Pakistan, India, Nepal. These areas are really worth exploring. Not many tourists, either.

SE Asia is awesome to visit, great to relax and gorge on great food and sit on the beach, but I just lost the urge to ride a bike there. Last time I was in Thailand, I just rented a scooter to get around and did not miss riding a motorcycle there at all.

I think your idea of leaving your bike somewhere and flying to SE Asia is pretty solid, especially since motorcycle rentals in SE Asia are so affordable. The Himalayas will feel like an adventure, and SE Asia will feel like a vacation.

For Myanmar, you can cross on the 'day-pass' they give out at the border but you can't go that far inside the country. Some people already managed to get in from Thailand and ride around and leave back via Thailand. Rules are being relaxed pretty quickly, but India-Burma area is pretty sensitive and that is not going to open up anytime soon, IMO.

From everything I read, China isn't a place to mess around. They are more than willing to confiscate bikes and throw people in jail before deportation these days. It's not like 10 years ago when you could play stupid and get a pass. That may still work very often, but confiscation is a real risk. And a lot of the big cities don't even allow motorcycles to enter at all. Not everyone wants to see big Chinese cities, but to me it would be a mistake to not visit the cities. And the best remote regions of Tibet and Xinjiang often require tricky permits that are sometimes easy to get, and sometimes impossible to get. Tricky.
Witold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Thailand.. well ok, might be a bit too ´touristy´ for some, even though the roads in the north are still well worth a ride, and climate up there is perfect for bikers.

But that´s just one country. To put it short, I´ve had some of the best rides of my life in Laos, Cambodia and Indonesia (and Indonesia is H_U_G_E, absolutely no way to see it all on one trip!) Malaysia´s not too bad either. You´re gonna need a carnet for Indonesia, but if you´re gonna go to India, then you´ll need it anyway. I rode from Europe to Oz, and later on I remember thinking, that if I had to pick just one country on that route to return to, Indonesia would probably be the one. (But dont get me wrong, all countries on that route were well worth a visit IMO).