User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,459
Do it all Tail Rack

I just put the finishing touches on this rack system, thought I would share the outcome of today's fabrication frenzy.

Customer's Criteria:
1. Tail rack needs to be fit so the seat can be removed without unbolting rack.
2. Tail rack needs to be able to have the small TT top case mounted to it and still have room for passenger.
3. Needs to be able to mount a RotoPax and/or the XT-17 winch without compromising the riding position
4. Needs to be able to mount just the XT-17 winch by itself
5. Needs to be light and strong.
6. Needs to retain the OEM grab handles.

I managed to figure out how to meet all of the requirements and make it all work.... took a while, but I think it turned out pretty well.

The first thing that I did was re-enforced the sub frame by welding extra material to the outer section, wrapping it around the rear to include the two aft bolts. Sub frame then got powder coated black.

I then made 4 riser blocks to set on top of the grab handles where the bolts pass through to provide a flat mount point for the rack to bolt to. Next I cut out the middle section of the TT rack plate, fabricated a insert part and TIG welded that in. Next up were the forward mount tabs, fabricated and TIG welded onto the Stainless TT rack plate. I'm still working on getting my techniques down for making pretty welds in Stainless.

Now that the plate is able to be bolted on, I then drilled and tapped two holes to bolt the RotoPax tower to the rack plate. This serves as the mount for the Rotopax by itself and the RotoPax with the XT-17. If the XT-17 is going to be carried by itself, then the RotoPax tower has to come off and the XT-17 forward block has to be bolted in by removing the rear two bolts then bolting in the XT-17 forward mount block.... Pictures will explain this better....

The XT-17 mount blocks are UHMW, tough stuff, machines easily and will keep things in place. I chose to go in this direction because there is so little room to get a hold of the winch with quick pins and hooks, I just made the extension part that stays with the winch and acts as the hook for the aft/lower point, then the forward block keeps the winch from disengaging the aft/lower hook. This is all held down with a high quality rubber strap/bungee. One end of the bungee is bolted to the aft hook, this wraps around the aft section of the rack plate, over the top of the winch and then onto the forward block pin. Works pretty slick

Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 514
Great idea, clean execution. What year 950 & 990s will this fit?
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 937
Do Want.

So when to these go on sale?
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
Great idea, clean execution. What year 950 & 990s will this fit?
Only the SE as it has different mounting holes to Adv
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,459
What does it fit?

This is a full one off custom build for a SE that I have been working on since March. If I can managed to carve out some time to get the parts into CAD, then there is a possibility of it becoming available to a larger group.... I'm not going to be able to hand machine and fabricate these in quantity and not end up having the cost way out of line.

If there is enough interest I will consider making the XT-17 mount, and/or a rear tail plate system that is centered around the RotoPax and the XT-17, but not the top box requirement.... ?
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
David37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I can tell you put a lot of thought into your design. Nicely done!
David37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #7
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Outstanding - I bow to you :)

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote