Oddometer: 5,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post

Great shot.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #1937
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 139
I need new handle Bars - does anyone know what will work - I dont have to have my heated grips back on - but there must be a good after market bar like renthral or something.
I do lots of off road.
Anyone Know?
Old 06-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #1938
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
What's your goal with the handlebars? The OEM aren't that expensive:

http://www.bikebandit.com/2012-trium...4268#sch740836

Basically under $100 from BikeBandit. I read that someone installed R1200GS bars and really liked them (they would be higher and wider). The Tiger Explorer bars should also fit (AFAIK wider and higher than the 800XC bars), as should the bars from the Roadie (AFAIK higher and narrower).
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:52 AM   #1939
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED05 View Post
I need new handle Bars - does anyone know what will work - I dont have to have my heated grips back on - but there must be a good after market bar like renthral or something.
I do lots of off road.
Anyone Know?
Handlebars are like screens. What suits one person won't suit another. As cug asks, what/why are you changing them?
I went with some 7/8" Renthals that I knew I liked. 615-01. More sweep back means more comfortable on a long ride for me. I had to design some clamps to suit though.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #1940
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 139
Renthal

I have broken the insert on the right side of my Bars - I will try and put on renthal fat bars - triumph bars will take forever to get here in Canada. 4-6 weeks.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #1941
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
I do lots of off road.
Anyone Know?
I moved the ProTaper Pastrana FMX bars from my KTM to the Tiger within a few days of ownership. Not too pricey either.

No problems in fitting. Much better feel for my reach. Plus, the Cycra hand guards and Kaoko Throttle Lock were already installed on those bars.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #1942
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Amazing photo but just to add to this. You can get hurt a lot of ways. I dropped the 500lb Tiger on my foot in the sand at a very low speed. My foot got jammed under the foot peg and I have fractured my 5th metatarsal. Have been in a cast for almost 3 months now and the most sucky part is not be able to ride.

I guess the biggest take away is to protect yourself as much as you can. I was wearing on road boots instead of a motocross boots and I have regretted my bad judgement every single day of the last 3 months. I have since bought SIDI boots and also full body armor. I am not going to take protection lightly anymore. I guess you don't need to be a Baja or Dakar rider to get yourself hurt on sand after all/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post

TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #1943
FairweatherJohn
FairweatherJohn

Oddometer: 28
1200 Explore Bars available

Quote:
I have broken the insert on the right side of my Bars - I will try and put on renthal fat bars - triumph bars will take forever to get here in Canada. 4-6 weeks.
REDO5 - I have a new set of Explore Bars here in Calif that I do not need - They definitely sweep back more than the 800XC stockers.

Not a straight swap, but should fit up well if you have some mechanical gumption, a drill, and a spare evening to make the change.

Chk your messages if you are interested.
FairweatherJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #1944
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Amazing photo but just to add to this. You can get hurt a lot of ways. I dropped the 500lb Tiger on my foot in the sand at a very low speed. My foot got jammed under the foot peg and I have fractured my 5th metatarsal. Have been in a cast for almost 3 months now and the most sucky part is not be able to ride.

I guess the biggest take away is to protect yourself as much as you can. I was wearing on road boots instead of a motocross boots and I have regretted my bad judgement every single day of the last 3 months. I have since bought SIDI boots and also full body armor. I am not going to take protection lightly anymore. I guess you don't need to be a Baja or Dakar rider to get yourself hurt on sand after all/
Good gear will get you through a lot of potentially painful situations. But I think there are aspects of Murphy's Law that have special application for off-road riders.

While riding a jeep trail in a national park on my DRZ in March of this year, fully outfitted with Helmet, Goggles, gloves, MX boots, chest protector, elbow/forearm guards, and a pair of prescription Cti2 knee braces I still managed to fracture the Tibia plateau in a fairly mild get-off at low speed. At the moment I fully expected the usual, fall down, get back up and ride sort of dirt nap.

Five and a half weeks after surgery including the addition of some titanium screws and a plate, I was able to throw that same leg over the Tiger for a ride. (tying the crutch to the bike seat with bungees)

It is rough to imagine going three months like you have so far. Is the end in sight? Wednesday will be three months since reconstruction surgery on that knee and I am just beginning to wean myself off the cane.

I've also broken toes a couple of times while wearing high bucks MX boots.

Despite all preparations and ATGAAT shit still happens that confounds me.

Good luck with your healing and best wishes on your countdown to riding once more!

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #1945
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Yeah end is in sight. I started walking today but with quite a bit of pain. Hopefully will be riding in a week. Left to myself I would have probably tried to ride the Tiger but the wife wouldn't have liked the idea a whole lot. Also, I was asked not to put weight on the right foot, last thing I wanted was to be forced to put my foot down in an emergency situation and elongate the healing process and not to mention having a life long problem. .

Having said that I do appreciate your toughness. You inspire me to get back to riding ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post

Good luck with your healing and best wishes on your countdown to riding once more!
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #1946
OB1UK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
I also dropped my (5-week old) Tiger in some sand (due to my inexperience) and it fell to the right, trapping my right foot under the engine. Afterwards, back at the camp site, I realised my foot was still hurting and, when I took my (road bike) boot off, it was very badly bruised.

After 5 days of discomfort, I was told by a colleague that I should go to the hospital for an x-ray... so I did... and was told I had a fracture to the 5th metatarsal! I was told by the doctor (UK) that there was no real point in putting it in plaster and that I should just take it easy for a few weeks. I carried on riding my Tiger, although only on-road, and used a walking stick for a couple or three weeks.

Two years later and I have no problems except for the odd ache when it gets cold and wet - which is normal as far as I have discovered from other breaks!
OB1UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #1947
Jeroen!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Ik
Quote:

I did kinda the same, my heavy sidi adventures did not protect my ankle, and I don't know if wearing my motorcross boots would have made a difference.
Dislocated my ankle and broke The other bone too. They put some iron in it, I've been in a cast for 10 weeks, and now I take daily physical therapy to get it moving again...

Shit will always hit the fan. :-)

Verstuurd van mijn LT30p met Tapatalk

Tiger 800xc '11
Jeroen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #1948
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,434
Guys,

I bought Burren Rider's Tiger 800XC and now have it tucked up here in South Australia......great bike.

I have a problem. I took the Safari tank off last weekend and put it back on, ensuring that all the leads and wires were connected properly. You've guessed it - now the fuel gauge isn't working!! Should I expect that to spring back into life sometime soon? Any other suggestions?

cheers

EDIT: A quick lap around the block fixed it. Tank and computer are now talking to each other again....phew!

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 10:38 PM
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #1949
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Trev View Post
Guys,

I bought Burren Rider's Tiger 800XC and now have it tucked up here in South Australia......great bike.

I have a problem. I took the Safari tank off last weekend and put it back on, ensuring that all the leads and wires were connected properly. You've guessed it - now the fuel gauge isn't working!! Should I expect that to spring back into life sometime soon? Any other suggestions?

cheers

EDIT: A quick lap around the block fixed it. Tank and computer are now talking to each other again....phew!
anytime you unhook that gauge, or right after you fuel up, it takes a little time for the bike to read everything again. always ride a few miles before tearing things back apart.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #1950
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
anytime you unhook that gauge, or right after you fuel up, it takes a little time for the bike to read everything again. always ride a few miles before tearing things back apart.