Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #2236
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Well, I wish I had read some of those comments before continuing on. Guys who are following along thinking about building one can at least learn what not to do.

Top stack is 4 1/2" schedule 40. No, it does not extend into the cooking area. Oh well, live and learn. Maybe it's not a bad thing with the size of the stove in relation to the size of the cooking area.

I'm hoping the intake dampers on the stove doors are sufficient enough to not need any on the cooker. I can always cut some in later if I see that I need to.

I also cut off the legs, welded in some rectangular tube, and bolted casters to the tube.

It's getting there slowly but surely. I'm learning a lot as I go by trial and error just like I always do. You guys please keep chiming in and maybe I'll read something in time to do or not do something.

I'm thinking about welding the cooker doors back together into one single door. I haven't decided yet.

I still need to...

Make a rear smoke damper for the stove
Make an adjustable cap for the top chimney
Weld diffusers onto the chimneys entering the cooker
Build some side shelf framing
Give her one or two more good burns
Install a thermometer
Paint
Assemble the shelves

...but it's really taking shape. I hope to use it very soon!!!!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #2237
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

That thing is a monster!!!

I'm guessing my little smoker probably weighs as much as my KLR650, which isn't light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
Oh, and here's a pic of a couple smokers of mine. The little feller is a combo grill/smoker, store bought with a couple modifications, including the extended (into the grill) chimney. The charcoal grate is adjustable in height to vary the heat.

The big dog was one a buddy and I built years ago for his restaurant that has since closed. Total weight is about 1,400lbs and it's about 9 feet long. Heavy, heavy wall stuff and it really holds the heat well.

OK. Sorry. Thread hi-jack over.

[IMG][URL=http://s255.photobucket.com/user/Josjor/media/image_zpsab65e209.jpg.html]
Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #2238
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,795
the Emu-be-que

http://peterman.smugmug.com/Other/em...7864&k=LGgvCbT
built this in a hurry for an ADV gathering on the Oregon coast years ago,,DireWolf and Dagwood have been using it at ADV events since then.
I have a much smaller version in the works that will have a rotisserie.
Check your second hand stores for old Farberware smokeless indoor grills,,they were popular in the 70's or so. You can sometimes find them with the drive for the meat spinner , and all you need is some 5/16" square keystock, or stainless. A side benefit to finding one,,the heating coil makes a good charcoal starter!
Here's one I made for my Mom to use on her tiny back deck, has pics of the rotisser E.
http://peterman.smugmug.com/Food/bab...3240&k=LmQ4dtp
I have one of the indoor smokeless jobbies that a friend spotted and scored for me. I'll try to remember to take pics and post them so you'll know what to look for at garage sales, second hand stores,, salvation army,,whatever.
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:55 AM   #2239
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Kirkster:

It's not too late for that smoke stack extension. Find the right size tubing that will fit inside the existing stack and cut a 6-8" piece. Drill a hold in the existing stack and weld a nut on the outside. Slide the short extension in and use a wingbolt in the nut to tighten it to your desired height. Wallah: adjustable stack.

The damper lid is real easy. Cut a circle slightly larger than the stack. Weld a bolt on the INSIDE edge of the stack and drill a corresponding hole in the round piece you just cut. Assemble it in the following order: round piece - flat washer - spring around bolt - washer - nut. The spring and washer and the fact that the bolt is on the inside of the stack will hold the plate flat against the stack. Weld a little bit of 1/4" round stock on the lid to use as a handle for adjusting the stack.

The stack cover isn't only for regulating air outflow, but also keeps rain from coming down the stack and rusting your unit.

I'll take a picture of a stack cover and post it this morning.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:33 AM   #2240
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Stack damper detail pics.

listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:45 AM   #2241
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

I forgot to mention, I'd keep the double doors as when you're smoking you want to loose as little heat as possible when you're moving things around. I'd probably see if you could bend a piece of flat stock to match the curve of the tank and weld it inside the tank where the doors meet. That would minimize smoke leaking at that point.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #2242
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,243
+1 for the double doors.

I'm thinking you may need to wear a leather apron to stand at this smoker for very long though.

For the first burn, invite over an experienced smoker. He can give you some tips for tweaking the design.

Looks awesome, as always.

You may have said this, but will you be putting dampers inline with the lower stacks? That way you can supply smoke to just one side? This would in-effect make it resemble a side-firebox design somewhat, so you can have a "hot side and a cool side" for different shapes and sizes of meats.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #2243
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Good info on the double doors. Either way, I still need to trim them out with flat bar to seal up any gaps.

I have a really neat idea for both the top stack adjustable cap and for the adjustable smoke damper on the back of the stove. I hope it works. I'm waiting on the big brown truck to bring me some goodies. It's low cost and should look and work awesome. I think.

Having a damper on the stacks going into the cooker is an interesting idea. I think it's too late for something inside the stack, but I may be able to make a combination diffuser/cap that can slip over where the stack protrudes into the cooker. I can cut a plate to rest under the cap to choke it, but it's not something that could be adjusted on the fly.

I'm also thinking that if the cooker is getting too much smoke/heat, I will simply open the smoke damper on the back of the stove. The dampers in the square tube may not be needed at all if that's the case.

It will take some experimentation, but I will try not to weld myself into a corner where things need to be cut back apart to make better. I'm eager to see how the stove's smoke damper can control the cooker's temp.

If it does well, I will just need diffusers to keep grease from dripping into the stove.

Maybe I'll have my thermometer in place before I do the next couple heat treatings and just experiment on how hot I can get the cooker, how "cold" it can be, etc, etc by fiddling with all the dampers once in place.

That will tell me a whole lot before I ruin the first piece of meat. Plus, I will know if I need to modify anything before trying to cook with it. Either way, it should be fun to learn and will be a good excuse for consuming beer while experimenting. ;)

kirkster70 screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 01:34 PM
Old 06-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #2244
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
http://peterman.smugmug.com/Other/emu-BQ/5333524_Mwzf5p#!i=325917864&k=LGgvCbT
built this in a hurry for an ADV gathering on the Oregon coast years ago,,DireWolf and Dagwood have been using it at ADV events since then.
I have a much smaller version in the works that will have a rotisserie.
Check your second hand stores for old Farberware smokeless indoor grills,,they were popular in the 70's or so. You can sometimes find them with the drive for the meat spinner , and all you need is some 5/16" square keystock, or stainless. A side benefit to finding one,,the heating coil makes a good charcoal starter!
Here's one I made for my Mom to use on her tiny back deck, has pics of the rotisser E.
http://peterman.smugmug.com/Food/babybarby/22911852_2xWpvK#!i=1840473240&k=LmQ4dtp
I have one of the indoor smokeless jobbies that a friend spotted and scored for me. I'll try to remember to take pics and post them so you'll know what to look for at garage sales, second hand stores,, salvation army,,whatever.
Nice work, Peterman! Just don't cook the dog.

If that's something you whipped up in a hurry for a gathering, you are one heck of a craftsman.

Was that an old compressor tank? Are you using wood or charcoal with it?
Old 06-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #2245
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
The cool thing about him (for me) is that (I'm pretty sure) I've met Peterman before when I was in Portland. Nowthat's pretty cool that we were reading the same thread! See you when I get back I hope. Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #2246
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,165
Kirk, the new boxes held up great on their first big trip.

H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #2247
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
Kirk, the new boxes held up great on their first big trip.

Very nice! I liked your ride report as well! Looks like you two had fun!

...hey Kevin, recognize anything?

It's not a winch bumper. It's a beer bumper!

Only one problem...I didn't let the silicone in the drain holes set up long enough and lost all the ice by time we got to Bethpage. Good thing I brought the caulking gun with me. I'm such a goober, I know.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #2248
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
I made the joke when we met, but now you've got major reason to drive with not a drop in your system. Worst newspaper headline ever: "Guy with tricked-out truck bumper full of beer causes accident." It wasn't me, ossifer, it was my bumper that was drunk!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #2249
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 4,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Very nice! I liked your ride report as well! Looks like you two had fun!

...hey Kevin, recognize anything?

It's not a winch bumper. It's a beer bumper!

Only one problem...I didn't let the silicone in the drain holes set up long enough and lost all the ice by time we got to Bethpage. Good thing I brought the caulking gun with me. I'm such a goober, I know.
Yeah. Thread of Awesome is in the Basement.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #2250
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
Love this thread, it rings a bell.

I just sold a KLR and used half the proceeds to pick up a 250A TIG with a water cooled torch. After a little practice, I did my first moto project this weekend.

Next project, aluminum or chrome-moly rear racks for a DR350 and my KTM 450. I really like the idea of thin wall alloy steel for building things, but don't have much experience welding it.

The wife wants me to explore my inner artist and thinks I should buy a plasma cutter. I'm thinking of large moving metal sculptures.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote