Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
bradrh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Natl Forest MVUM to Garmin

I could swear there was a thread here recently on using the MVUM img file from the national forest, but I tried searching everything I could think of & can't find it.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/psicc/...telprdb5350798
Has anyone had success using these? On my montana I have to zoom way in to see anything so it's pretty worthless.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
I could swear there was a thread here recently on using the MVUM img file from the national forest, but I tried searching everything I could think of & can't find it.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/psicc/...telprdb5350798
Has anyone had success using these? On my montana I have to zoom way in to see anything so it's pretty worthless.
EDIT: I just took a look at these maps on my Montana and they are not good. It appears as though the FS simply mad Custom Maps from PDF images of the areas listed. These are going to be of little value on a GPS since you need to be zoomed in below 0.3mi to see anything yet the overlay definition covers a map area the size of Colorado so it obscures any underlying map (CNNA). The South Dakota Black Hills Forest Manager did a proper job of creating Overlay Maps using GPX track data to actually create a very useful labeled and color coded MVUM Map.

Colorado's Map's (not the way to do it):

South Dakota's Map's (the right way to do it):

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 09:47 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
I could swear there was a thread here recently on using the MVUM img file from the national forest. Has anyone had success using these?
This is a very big issue on public land. The big question is when are the 3rd party maps going to incorporate MVUM into their legal road & trail system?

The MVUM maps I have looked at have dark lines for jeep roads adn a very faint thin grey line for a federal Hwy. The are useless as a usable map for street legal vehicles, may be ok for Green Sticker vehicles.

Yes the Black Hills Forest looks like they did it right. Also there is an effort in CA to publish digital maps, it is: http://www.owlsheadgps.com/home/index.html I am not very impressed with their map but have not used it yet.

Countdown screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 10:00 AM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
This is a very big issue on public land. The big question is when are the 3rd party maps going to incorporate MVUM into their legal road & trail system?

The MVUM maps I have looked at have dark lines for jeep roads adn a very faint thin grey line for a federal Hwy. The are useless as a usable map for street legal vehicles, may be ok for Green Sticker vehicles.

Yes the Black Hills Forest looks like they did it right. Also there is an effort in CA to publish digital maps, it is: http://www.owlsheadgps.com/home/index.html I am not very impressed with their map but have not used it yet.
Jerry, Who exactly are the "third party" map makers? Seems to me that this is something that would be better handled by the FS - as the Black Hills FS Travel Manager did. This is a very easy to use approach and is independent of the underlying map yet still provides more than adequate travel data.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Jerry, Who exactly are the "third party" map makers? Seems to me that this is something that would be better handled by the FS - .
Anyone who publishes a map of motorized routes on public land should make sure that they are only showing legal routes. Every Forest in the US has done Travel Management and published MVUM maps along with all of the BLM in So Cal. There is only two logical choices; publish only legal routes, or leave the area blank and refer buyer to the appropriate land manager for correct map.

If map publishers continue to put out maps showing illegal routes, I would hope the US government send out some cease and desist letters followed by court injunctions if map makers don't get their act in gear.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Anyone who publishes a map of motorized routes on public land should make sure that they are only showing legal routes. Every Forest in the US has done Travel Management and published MVUM maps along with all of the BLM in So Cal. There is only two logical choices; publish only legal routes, or leave the area blank and refer buyer to the appropriate land manager for correct map.

If map publishers continue to put out maps showing illegal routes, I would hope the US government send out some cease and desist letters followed by court injunctions if map makers don't get their act in gear.
I doubt we'll ever see that kind of Gov involvement but the citizens could at least ask the FS Travel Managers to provide a usable and consistent approach to delivering digital MVUM map data to the public. This "each to his own" approach is not in the public's best interest or the best use of FS budgets.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I doubt we'll ever see that kind of Gov involvement .
The government is getting very serious about travel off designated routes especially in closed areas. The Black Hills map was one guy not a forest policy. They publish MVUMs, put them on their web sited and offer them free in any forest office and start writing fool proof tickets to fools.

The simple solution for them is to close more motorized routes leading to the problem areas. If map makers keep showing motorized routes that are not legal on high volume maps like City Nav, look for their participation. It would be in all off roaders best interest to put pressure on the map makers to clearly show Wilderness and only show open routes in other areas.