Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #46
dsilver1007 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
Anyone got an opinion if a ec250/300 could make a decent dual sport bike? Or are they going to be a little too high strung for such duty?
For any lengthy trip id be scared to have a two stroke for a long period of time on street
Old 05-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #47
Seavoyage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
To supplement my street plated EC300...http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=28

Based on jse comments, got the 2002 Pro chassis for the quicker steering and lighter magnesium engine cases. The chassis was only made for 1-year and is a odd mix of parts. Currently weighs just over 145 lbs. wet.

Complete rebuild of engine top and bottom end. Installed S3 225cc kit, S3 Stars cylinder head with interchangeable compression insert (currently running high-compression insert), and GasGas UK flywheel weight.

Revalved (2-stage compression and rebound) and changed spring rate on Sachs rear shock. Installed shock upside-down with 4mm preload.

Installed Formula 'Factory' forks (adjustable compression, rebound, preload, and end-stroke) with GasGas anodized Ergal triple clamps. Installed ProTaper Hi bend SE handlebars with ProTaper Medium compound grips.

Completed restoration of 1995 JT35. Approximately 170 lbs. with a 327cc Big-bore motor: tons of torque and will lug at idle, out climb most dirt bikes, and traverse a 6-foot vertical obstacle in the right hands.

This bike may have an interesting history if built by Jon Stoodley AKA jse for Steve Darrow for the World Championship. Has cylinder head mods, and Keihin PWK carburetor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jse
Quote:
The JT35 with stock base gasket and stock timing is a beast to start isn't it? You better have committed cajones to kick start a JT35 (or JTR370)... my Keihin jetting seems spot on, so it isn't a question of if my JT35 will start on the 1st kick; it's if you can successfully kick start it.

If you aren't committed the JT35 will 'bite back' and either break your foot.or throw you over the handlebars.

Very linear power and more than enough torque to plow a field - just don't stall it while hill climbing.
I think the GG factory designed the GT35 and JTR370 like the Honda factory did with the old CR480/500. It's actually a competence test, if you can't start it, you shouldn't be riding it..... The 370 was quite interesting as it was a 338cc, high-compression engine but had "370cc" cast on the outside of the cylinder. I'm guessing the prototype was 370cc's so they kept the casting mold but they reduced the capacity after it totally flogged more than a few test riders...

I'm trying to remember if Steve rode that bike at the World Round at Donner, he may have. He was mechanically inclined and took extremely good care of his bikes. Steve was a big guy (an Assistant Chief fireman and in good shape) and he had a hard time lightling that bike off so he asked me to make some changes. I re-machined the combustion chamber, which really helped, and he said it was a lot easier to start and ran smoother with no loss of power.

I agree, the 35 and 370 did not reward the timid. Like Steve's 35 and my 370, they were great bikes for Donner at 8200 ft. altitude and we never had a problem with power loss. My 370 was stolen years ago and disappreared completely. Few of them were ever imported here and they are quite rare (if you see one, look for the "JSE" engraved on the cylinder and lots of one-off special parts). I told the investigating Sheriff deputy taking the report to look for a criminal with a broken right kneecap.......

Seavoyage screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 10:44 AM
Seavoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #48
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBO View Post
I have a 2005 Gas Gas 300 with Ohlins front and rear. It's that good an enduro moto that I haven't even wanted to trade up for a new model each year.

It's in it's 7th year and all I've done in that time is put in is 3 sets of rings...two pistons...one set of crankshaft bearings (as of a couple of months ago) and a service kit for the Ohlins forks....and the usual tyres and stuff like that...I ride it hard and because it's 'old' I don't care about it at all....(I do of course keep it serviced well)That's why I have every confidence in riding it all day 100kms plus out in the forest trails knowing it will run well...

I ride enduro's and even beach races and use it about twice each Sunday and Monday riding forest trails here also.

It refuses to lie down and for forest riding it is so good...heaps of low end grunt and light.

After all my years riding......there's only two moto's I'd buy again and that's an XR650R and another Gas Gas 300EC.

Simples!!!

Mine is a 2002 250XC with the 2k2 ignition. Love it! Ohlins both sides sprung and valved by STM Suspension. I love to ride it in the more technical enduros out here. My usual race bike is a 2012 KTM 450SX-F set up for off road by EnduroSpec. If I know the race will be tight and gnarly, the GasGas gets the call every time. I only ride the KTM if I know its gonna be wide open.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #49
dsilver1007 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

ec for sale

Just put my 07 ec300 for sale!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893478

Figured id attempt to spread the word
Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #50
Fasnacht
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic...Love this bike...

Fasnacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #51
dsilver1007 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
Just put my 07 ec300 for sale!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893478

Figured id attempt to spread the word
Gas Gas is sold! i miss it. I have some old parts i found in the garage if anyone is interested let me know
Old 06-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #52
TavisB
@TavisB

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
Gas Gas is sold! i miss it. I have some old parts i found in the garage if anyone is interested let me know
Pm me what you've got :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #53
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,434
I got an 07 EC250 I'm starting to set up and I have a few quick questions.

Firstly, anyone know if the fender/side panels from the later bikes fit without much modification, or does it require the later airbox and subframe?

I was looking at the Force bash plate and pipe guard, but it only has them listed for the 08-11 models, I didn't think there was a major change between the 07 and 08 models, so does anyone know if it will still fit the 07?

I got a few more questions, but can't remember them at the moment.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote