Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #76
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
In Skagway waiting for the ferry. Came across the mountain in the rain/sleet. Problem at the border.

Did they do the math on your time and mileage between border crossings? Or was it the kitchen sink on the back of the bike or the rider's bleary eyed, unshaven face? Or all the above?

Can't wait for the story on this one.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #77
AspentureRider
Rube

Oddometer: 151
What's Dave doing up on the Dempster with those road tires?
Although, he's probably better at gravel on those Bridgestones than I am on the TKCs-
AspentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #78
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,191
Yup, rode the Dempster on slicks.

In Dawson, heading across the river soon.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #79
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

In Valdez, came across the TOW on slicks too. Road in rough shape in sections.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #80
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Bike delivered this afternoon, whew, what a ride, or as i've been known to say "ain't no Starbucks run".

24 hours of airports and planes to get home, heck of a trip.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #81
AspentureRider
Rube

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
Bike delivered this afternoon, whew, what a ride, or as i've been known to say "ain't no Starbucks run".

24 hours of airports and planes to get home, heck of a trip.
What a guy! Can't wait to see the pics/read the story, and to be re-united with the bike three weeks from tonight!
AspentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #82
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
jdrocks, glad you and the bike made it there safe.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #83
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
jdrocks, glad you and the bike made it there safe.
Thanks Mr. Nix, been at airports and on planes since this time yesterday, back in VA 1AM Monday.

Reporting from Dallas...
Old 06-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #84
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

a recap on travel over the last couple days, man, talk about wasted...

translated to eastern time, i was up at 4AM Saturday (8AM eastern) in Valdez to get organized and catch the early ferry over to Whittier. from there, travel by ferry, moto, cab, foot, plane, and car, arriving at the kids house in northern Virginia at 2:30AM Monday. do the numbers, i was sorta feeling it there towards the end.

some observations, after the joys of air travel over the last two days.

when doing a casting call for the extras required in that next zombie movie, no need for auditions, just go to the airports i've used recently, hop on my flights, there's zombies by the thousands. none of that expensive makeup needed, no rehearsals either, they'll just be in character. holler, "Zekes, line up over here", and the line will snake out the door and onto the runways.

if your dissertation is on psychopathic interaction in contemporary society, i can make it easy for you, and name the airports with a rich research environment.

demographics, i can help there too. take sociopaths per thousand in the general populace, for instance. heck, i'd name seattle first, no close second, at least judging from what i saw at their airport. some wierd behavior going on, almost bought a headstone for some dude after having to explain that some practical limits were being placed on what he was doing.

airport personnel are required to learn the word "NO" in at least 30 different languages.

it's possible to sneak a minimum of two steamer trunks disguised as carry on luggage past the gate attendant if she's busy explaining to another passenger that he doesn't have the right gate, or even the right airline.

never wear a short sleeve shirt or shorts when traveling by plane. your skin may come into contact with the skin of your fellow passengers, lordy, can't have that, trust me.

passengers fixated on their electronic devices will run slam into everything, never once noticing, or apologizing either.

if a passenger smokes dope for about a week in a very small room, then boards a plane wearing the exact same clothes, the passenger in the adjacent seat will press the button for the flight attendant every single time.

the caboose that some passengers are carrying where their butt used to be will not fit in today's airplane seats, heck, half of that thing won't fit either. you knew that ahead of time, so quit complaining to the attendant. also, planes only carry a limited number of those seat belt extensions for fat people, so it delays the whole flight when the attendants have to radio for more. when you need dozens more, the pilot must start to wonder if the damn plane will get off the ground.

an author writing a tome on BSC women for some obscure academic journal should fly more.

pilots get free ice cream at McDs.

those manning all the establishments along the airport food courts can't smoke, but apparently they are allowed to chew and spit in a cup while taking your order, both men and women.

judging from the preferred attire of most passengers, they don't own a full length mirror, or if they do, it's been broken for twenty years. on a related note, those transparent LuLu yoga pants were supposed to be returned, not worn.

there needs to be some national contest exclusive to airline passengers called "the ugliest tat" award. yeah, i know you like it and are ready to jump right out out your clothes to show off the rest of it, but some of the other passengers are getting queasy, and it's not airsickness.

i could keep going, being a keen observer and all...
Old 06-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #85
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,898
I wanna be like JD when I grow up. What a trip. And did ya get any sleep. Even today.

Too bad you could not find something to ride back instead of traversing the airline system with the smelly whinny zombies. I can take the regular zombies but the whinny ones just piss off the flight attendants. Even a cageing it back would be better.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #86
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post

Too bad you could not find something to ride back instead of traversing the airline system...

would have to have been on a different kind of bike, more gravel prepped, otherwise i would be on the same roads again.

regarding roads, things are changing fast above the border. now that i've "proofed" some of the roads again this season, i may revise some of my recommendations.

took 1300 frames, i was thinking i had more. a little rain most days kept the total down.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #87
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

teaser photo...

Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #88
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,547
Can't wait to see what you have in store for us this time Dave.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #89
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Helluva ride.

Appreciate a little intel on the roads, especially the Cassiar, when you get around to writing it up.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #90
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
Can't wait to see what you have in store for us this time Dave.
hey kevin, stay tuned. without my journal, i'd be lost, the days running together.