Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
ArtofCory OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Day Trippin' Cape Cod

Hello.

So I’d been considering riding out to Cape Cod recently (even posted about it on here, asking about tourist traffic, etc) and was somewhat dissuaded because of the horror stories I’d heard about summer traffic. I’d only ever been to the Cape one other time last fall (in my truck) and it was beautiful and empty – and I’ve been wanting to explore it on 2 wheels ever since.

I only live about 2-3 hours away from the Cape, in Mystic, Connecticut. I woke up this last Saturday, realized I had zero things on my to-do list, and decided what the hell, I’ll ride out to Cape Cod, do some exploring and ride back that night.

The weather was perfect. I hopped aboard my ’12 Triumph Scrambler and headed east. I tried to stay off the interstates as much as possible, but there are some stretches that are hard to avoid (if you want to make decent time getting out there). I headed up 95 and then east through Rhode Island, crossing the bridges to Newport (I LOVE crossing those bridges on a motorcycle, incredible views), and then North into Mass.

I don’t know if it was some miraculous day that I chose to ride out, but the entire day I never once ran into bad traffic. There were cars everywhere for sure, but nothing like I had expected it to be. I was moving the whole time. And most the time, at a great pace.

I putted on through a lot of the Cape until I reached Truro. This is probably my favorite area. The renowned artist Edward Hopper used to summer at the Cape and did many oils and watercolors around the area of Truro. I’m somewhat of an artist myself, and love to visit the old haunts of the masters, and those that have come before, that I really look up to. I rode out to Corn Hill, which is a great area. Beautiful landscape – the bright blues of the ocean mix with a copper, golden sand, and the rolling hills…it’s really an awesome place. Some very fun, little twisty roads around Corn Hill and the area just south.

Then I headed further north to the Race Point area (and the old life-saving station). What I also love about the Cape is the great variety of landscapes. Once you reach the northernmost part, it turns to dunes, just sand everywhere, with small pines poking through and bordering the shifting hills of beach. It’s incredible. And a hoot to explore on a motorcycle.

1974 Honda CB360
ArtofCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
ArtofCory OP
Adventurer

Cape Cod Part 2

I did some more riding around, every small road I could see I would take, many of them just ending abruptly (there are only so many roads out on the northern Cape). Eventually I started winding my way back down south. I detoured to the Fort Hill area, which was also incredible. Rolling meadows, stretching as far as you could see, and sloping down to great marshes, and the Atlantic beyond. It’s hard to adequately describe the beauty – it’s all straight from a post card, straight from memories you’ve never really had, but for some reason feel real, and the land feels nostalgic. You want to freeze those moments, parked in the sun on a great motorcycle, looking out on these unreal vistas – you want to live in these moments forever. but as much joy as they bring, there’s also a slight sadness, because you know as soon as it arrived, it will be gone again, and you’ll be riding back to schedules, to bills, to phone calls, to obligations, to reality.

But for those few, fleeting moments, our lives are OURS. And I think that’s really the appeal of motorcycling. It’s taking as many of these finite moments of life, and claiming them as our own. It’s defiant, in a way. It’s independent. It’s freedom.

Eventually the sun began to get lower and lower in the sky and I decided to head back. I’ve only been twice now, but both times, I’m reluctant and sad to leave the Cape. I’m determined to actually get out there and STAY overnight, either camping or hotelling it, but I decided that would be more fun w/ a pretty young lady, or a group of friends. I’d seen what I came to see, and felt what I came to feel – and it was time to head home.

The ride home was fairly uneventful – a lot of slab, a lot of wind. Once home, I realized spending some 8 or 9 hours on a motorcycle in one day isn’t highly recommended. For someone so out of practice like myself anyway. I was dead tired when I rolled into the drive way. Hands were cramping. Legs cramping. Butt cramping. But like most days spent motorcycling, the highs far outweighed the lows. Another great day exploring a great part of the country on a great motorcycle.

‘Til next time fellas. Ride safe.

Oh, and I'll leave you with a nerdy watercolor I did of Truro.

1974 Honda CB360
Old 06-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,782
Nice essay and photos.
Made my day.
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
I sure miss the Cape. I grew up in Falmouth, but don't miss the summer traffic.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Serbchaser
Chasin' the Serb

Oddometer: 265
Great write up and photos of a beautiful part of the country we don't see much of. Thanks.
Serbchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:52 AM   #6
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
I'm curious about Cape Cod so this was well worth a read.
Don't be shy about painting, its a great added dimension to the story.
Be shy about being such a wuss about nine hours on your scrambler. I've done 36 hours straight on my Bonneville with stock seat and I'm twice your age!

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #7
ArtofCory OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
I'm curious about Cape Cod so this was well worth a read.
Don't be shy about painting, its a great added dimension to the story.
Be shy about being such a wuss about nine hours on your scrambler. I've done 36 hours straight on my Bonneville with stock seat and I'm twice your age!
Haha! Love this. Duly noted. And thank you everyone for the comments.
1974 Honda CB360
Old 06-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
Lollipop
Gator Bait

Oddometer: 23
What kind of lucky SOB wakes up with nothing on his "to do" list? I'm envious!! Great pics and a fine trip.
Lollipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
ArtofCory OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post
What kind of lucky SOB wakes up with nothing on his "to do" list? I'm envious!! Great pics and a fine trip.
Haha, well...I'm a 32 year old bachelor. Life is good.
1974 Honda CB360
Old 06-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,584
Nice bike and nice painting!

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
txplants
Pastafarian

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtofCory View Post

Great shot! Looks "vintage-y". Enjoyed the RR.
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote