Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Out of curiosity, why are there not many images of them turning up out of the bowl to the last turn? Even TV misses it. There is all kinds of styles and chances to take down there. It strikes me as one of the greatest turns in motorcycle racing. ?
I can't speak for where the tv cameras are positioned, but lots of photographs are taken in that last righthander--in the morning. In the afternoon, when most races go off, the light is wrong. Also, it's not a corner where you can get more than one bike in the frame, which is what you are looking for in "race" shots.

Actually, I tried to get a Supersport race shot from that section, but by the time I got my grid and start shots and walked that distance, young Mr. Roberts had gapped the field and there was no group shot to be had.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #17
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
Story of the weekend, as far as I'm concerned. I assume he's at least 16, but he looks like a kid.

(Those are Keith Code's beautiful silver locks spoiling my frame)
All of America's hopes are resting on your shoulders, kid. Don't worry, no pressure.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #18
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,408
[QUOTE=mdubya;21719391]All of America's hopes are resting on your shoulders, kid. Don't worry, no pressure. [/QUOTE

someone needs to get this kid a moto 2 ride then, only way he'll have a chance at motoGP
bikerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:34 AM   #19
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,042
[QUOTE=bikerfish;21720306]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
All of America's hopes are resting on your shoulders, kid. Don't worry, no pressure. [/QUOTE

someone needs to get this kid a moto 2 ride then, only way he'll have a chance at motoGP
He's just back from Europe. He'll get his shot if he can stay healthy. That was his AMA debut because he just turned 16, but he's got lots of experience and has Team Hammer behind him. You'll notice he's on a Honda.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #20
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
Quote:
All of America's hopes are resting on your shoulders, kid. Don't worry, no pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

He's just back from Europe. He'll get his shot if he can stay healthy. That was his AMA debut because he just turned 16, but he's got lots of experience and has Team Hammer behind him. You'll notice he's on a Honda.
I believe he is contesting the entire Red Bull Rookies cup this season. The Euros know very well who he is. He will need backing if he is to progress through Moto 3 and Moto 2.

He is just now old enough to contest regular GP's and AMA/DMG Pro Nationals.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #21
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,925
In addition to picking up the race coverage, kudus to CBS for also presenting a decent pre-race 1/2 hour show.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #22
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,362
Quote:
I believe he is contesting the entire Red Bull Rookies cup this season. The Euros know very well who he is. He will need backing if he is to progress through Moto 3 and Moto 2.

He is just now old enough to contest regular GP's and AMA/DMG Pro Nationals.
Ulrich signed Roberts to a contract last month after he almost beat James Rispoli at a WERA race at Barber. Rispoli was on a DSB spec bike and Roberts was on a SS spec bike.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #23
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Ulrich signed Roberts to a contract last month after he almost beat James Rispoli at a WERA race at Barber. Rispoli was on a DSB spec bike and Roberts was on a SS spec bike.
I thought he was doing non-conflicting weekends in the AMA/DMG. Is he supposed to go full time, now?

One thing for sure, John Ulrich knows he's got a hot prospect on his hands.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,362
Quote:
I thought he was doing non-conflicting weekends in the AMA/DMG. Is he supposed to go full time, now?
Don't know, but there are only 2 conflicting rounds left this season: Mid-Ohio/Sachsenring & Laguna WSBK/Aragon.

The RBRC makes those kids sign a pretty iron-clad contract so I imagine Ulrich took that into account.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #25
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

It was said over the PA that he would do two more AMA rounds this year.

photo galleries
Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #26
K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
John has enough experience to see kids potential very early. If my memory serves me right he caught Spies early and helped him get his ride with Valvoline Suzuki.

Hope this Roberts has the right people around him so he can meet his potential and keep his nose clean. Anthony Gobert had the skill to do many great things but got a taste of the wrong stuff and liked it too much. Sad for all.
Whatever IT is.

www.GoCoffeeEnergy.com
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:54 AM   #27
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,042
I don't actually know, but somebody is spending a fortune on getting Joe his rides. They are all pay-to-play and appear well scripted. Maybe the JU seat is different, but maybe not. My point is that somebody behind him has pretty deep pockets (parents?), so it's not like the Go Show or anybody like him. Gobert, Mladin etc. never had anybody behind them, except for what they could muster in the paddock.

Roberts (like Elena, Rispoli etc) seems to be very well managed. Add in that he is clearly more talented...

I think he has a very big future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2vodka View Post
John has enough experience to see kids potential very early. If my memory serves me right he caught Spies early and helped him get his ride with Valvoline Suzuki.

Hope this Roberts has the right people around him so he can meet his potential and keep his nose clean. Anthony Gobert had the skill to do many great things but got a taste of the wrong stuff and liked it too much. Sad for all.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #28
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Not to disparage the kid or suggest his potential isn't anything but sky high, but his performance in RBR's isn't nearly so dominant as he was this weekend with the AMA.

photo galleries
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #29
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
Not to disparage the kid or suggest his potential isn't anything but sky high, but his performance in RBR's isn't nearly so dominant as he was this weekend with the AMA.
This. I'm glad to see a lot of excitement about anyone in the US racing scene. However, I think its too soon to anoint Roberts as our next great hope.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #30
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
This. I'm glad to see a lot of excitement about anyone in the US racing scene. However, I think its too soon to anoint Roberts as our next great hope.
He is the only thing on the horizon at the moment.