Oddometer: 75
Subscribed!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Spektrum84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #47
sevenpointsixtwo
Newb Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 197
Great ride report and pictures so far. I have to ride vicariously for now, despite my own "1/4 life" shenanigans! More power to you for doing it on the Duke; I did some miles on this beast a few years ago:

Not fun in the ass-and-back department, but adventure is all about getting out of your comfort zone, right?

1998 Tiger 900
2000 DRZ400E
sevenpointsixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #48
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Carufel View Post
I'll tag along on this one. Look me up if/when you get to San Diego.
S'scribed & Ride on! But uh, you forgot to stop in San Diego. Mebbe on the return trip..

If you do, look me up as well. We have THE BEST IPA's in the country.. and some fun roads too.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #49
Spektrum84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
If you need a roof over your head and a shower to clean up, consider dropping by if your in south east Kansas!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Spektrum84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #50
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 713
Drop me a line when you hit Florida tampa area. You can sleep on the couch
Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #51
seatec
Dutch Transplant

What's going on here? No more updates?
seatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #52
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Nope nada! I can't really type out posts on my phone but in a couple days iwill set up home base in denver for a few days and buy a cheap laptop for an update. I dont want to give too much away before then, but today i rode pikes peak which is all prepped for the race in a few days.. it was epic! Staying with a fellow adver tonight first time ive had a spare momemt to pop on the phone. Last few weeks have been eat, sleep, ride!
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #53
rlkefauver
kefakruiser

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
Last few weeks have been eat, sleep, ride!
And hopefully take pictures. Keep enjoying your adventure and get us updated when you can!!
2007 Yamaha XT225 for everything else- Sold
rlkefauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #54
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oh good. You are still on the tour.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #55
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Pssst... did you hear, pne is finally posting an update!!

In Seattle I did the typical touristy stuff. Walking down the pike place market to get a bowl of clam chowder was an experience. It was packed like a can of sardines and smelled like one too, lots of little shops selling fresh flowers, fish, organic honey and produce. Afterwards I killed a couple hours checking out the art museum where above sculpture was photographed. But the coolest place I visited was the underground city tour, where you get to duck underneath the city streets and go into the remnants of old seattle. Before they raised the whole town by washing mud from up the hill.. wild.
It had a very erie feel, which I tried to capture. I'm no photographer though, I just bought a nice camera for this trip.

In seattle, I was staying at a hostel downtown. I got into the habit of not paying for my parking and stuffing the bike anywhere. Since I have a Canadian plate on there, I figured that meant diplomatic immunity from parking tickets. The first couple of days this seemed to work just fine. I got real lucky on the last night when I decided to move my bike from the main street to a back alley just in case. The next morning all the cars on the street were gone, and there was a big "wear pink and run in support of cancer" type rally going on right outside the hostel. I'm guessing an out of country plate wouldn't have saved me from getting towed, chalk that one up to good luck.

pne screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 06:58 PM
Old 06-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #56
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

After Seattle I headed south to have a peak at Mt Rainer. I rode 410 to 123 to Paradise to Stevens Canyon Road, which seemed to be nonstop construction and gravel roads as I got closer. The ride through the national park was breath taking. This was the first time the duke had seen serious stretches of gravel, and it seemed to take them in stride. My mantra has always been if it has handlebars it can go off the pavement.

That evening I pulled into Ohanapecosh campground in the park to set up for the night. There was nobody around in the ranger station, so I thought I might be able to sneak in a free night. I rode into the very back section of the campground, past a road closed sign and set up my tent there. Later on, a guy hikes up over to me and says "um I think this section is closed".

"I know it is, get lost!" is not what I replied, but I echoed his sentiment and told him I'd take my chances.

That morning as I was loading up the bike, the park ranger comes scooting up in her little golf cart. "You're not supposed to be here, this section is closed!"

"uh sorry, I thought this was a hike in section"

After some explaining and apologizing she lets me go and starts driving away. I'm relieved and thankful she didn't bring up my lack of payment. As if on cue, she whips a U-turn and comes back. "Did you pay?" What the...freakin telepathic park rangers.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #57
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

I had a great route mapped out by a local to ride down highway 25 to a lookout on St Helens, but in Randle I stopped to ask for directions and a gas station attendant told me the road was not cleared of snow yet and still closed for the season. This meant a little rerouting involving some slab (yuck) and settling for the view on the west side.

Getting to this picture was a little sketchy.. but my other offroading mantra of "hold the throttle open" worked well.

I finished the day in Vancouver where I met groovyspuds, a fellow ADVer with a cool piece of land on Salmon Creek. Groovy's got a wicked 990 adventure with the slick dakar paint job. I was jealous, that thing would have made for a much nicer ride than the duke. I slept under the stars in a beach chair by the creek. Thanks for the beer and the company Mike!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #58
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

A new day and I was in good spirits. I headed east on 14 to a breathtaking view of the columbia gorge and whatever the dam is called there.

I jumped on a neat little road here called the Cook Underwood, which is tight and twisty by runs through residential so the speed limits are low. But the view at the top is a real treat. I also stopped at Panorama point just south of the toll bridge for some shots. Mt Hood is a real sight, the way it stands out with no other ranges around makes it seem extra tall. It seems mind blowing to think that in a few weeks I would be riding a road higher than its peak.

The rest of the day was pretty dull, I rode south on 26 to Madras, where it got hot and dry in a hurry. After stopping for a huge and not very good burrito, I rode to Sweet Home to meet my next host. That's when I ran into this gem of a highway 20. This road runs through some old growth forest, but I was much more interested in the road. Tight and technical, with lots of elevation changes, this is my favorite kind of backroad. Twisties are nice, but throw in some dips and rises, and suddenly its a roller coaster ride.

I thought Sweet Home was Alabama, but there I met up with 2much2do, a friendly guy who rides a big bmw 1200 (I can't tell any of their bikes apart, sorry guys) and gets his kicks from flying small planes. Coincidentally Mike from the other night was a commercial pilot. ADVers are cool cats. I spent the night in 2's camper, and to boot his wife made me a big waffle in the morning. Thanks Wes, I hope when I visit again you'll take me up in the plane so I can see what the big fuss is all about. Like I need another expensive hobby.

pne screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 07:34 PM
Old 06-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #59
leftfield6
Dog is CoPilot

Oddometer: 61
If you head through the Atlanta area, I have a garage, an extra bed, a shower, and a fridge in the previously mentioned garage stocked with beer. Welcome anytime.

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #60
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Crater Lake!! Holy crap, the views at this place were completely worth the boring highway to get out there. Wes had told me of the views when he flew over the area, but I was not expecting it to be this breath taking. Very glad I took the time to do this little detour.

This lovely old lady offered to take my picture, I do my best to look cool with helmet hair.

I spent so much time driving around the lookouts and gawking that I started to run out of daylight. I rode to Diamond lake for a look, but lets face it, she is the ugly sister. I made camp on the shore of diamond lake, which had the most vicious mosquitoes ever. Unscathed by the DEET I sprayed all over myself and the picnic table, they had me for dinner while I ate dinner. The good thing about this campsite is the free (donation) showers, which I took full advantage of.