User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #1306
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,673
Sorry I couldn’t make it yesterday.

I have roady tires on the klr so I may have struggled a bit by the sound of things

good to hear that your back seems to be allowing you to return to normal life at last
Old 06-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #1307
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Thumb

Looked at your ride half heartedly Steve - was too much of a Wuss to subject my R12 to the possibility of dropping it - tending to limit my ADV riding on the R12 to gravel - glad you had a great ride
Oaters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #1308
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,070
Just clicking over 100k views

Not bad for a thread about an old airhead...

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #1309
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Not bad for a thread about an old airhead...
You're not that old surely?
Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 AM   #1310
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
I just contributed another one

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #1311
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,451
And Gus is saying to you "wait till you go round the clock twice - then you've got something to brag about"
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #1312
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
And Gus is saying to you "wait till you go round the clock twice - then you've got something to brag about"
his back thinks that falling through the perspex roof is pretty much equivalent to going round the clock twice

speaking of which how is the back Steve?
Old 06-30-2013, 02:22 AM   #1313
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Hinakura Rd, Riversdale, Castlepoint & Pack Spur Rd

The run up to Upper Hutt was freezing, with a low mist up the River Road.

I’d arranged to meet anyone that wanted to ride at 9.00am from Caltex Rimutaka. Loads of bikes coming in, but just me & Brent for this ride. Where were you Paul?

'The Bach' cafe at Martinborough is closed. Anyone know what is happening there? Instead we had a coffee at the Village Café. And watched a brawl in the main street. Not entirely sure what provoked it, but one guy flattened a woman with a single punch. He should be so proud…

Headed out to Hinakura, to ride through to Admirals Rd. The view down into the valley before Hinakura Rd was somewhat clagged in. Vision was problematic.

Council (I assume) has raided the beach to re-gravel the Hinakura Rd. It was quite deep, mostly sand, & gave no confidence. I assume the road was a bit muddy prior?

Round to the Flat Point Road. Missed the Kaiwhata Rd turnoff & found ourselves on the lookout over Flat Point. GT had his accident just round the corner from there in 15th Jan 2012.

Backtracked & took Kaiwhata Rd thru the forestry to Homewood Rd. There had been the odd bit of thick gravel thrown down, mostly on the corners. Noted some tyre tracks going straight ahead at one point. Funny, that’s not where the road went…

To Riversdale for lunch at about 2.00pm. Burger, coke, & chips for Brent, packed Curry Sarnies & coffee from a flask for me.

Quick flick through to Castlepoint. The XT was on reserve, so just luckily there is gas there. 4.00pm & the heat is going out of the sun.

Decided to have a crack at Pack Spur Rd. I should have stopped more often on the road along Mataikona – beautiful along there, & the low sun made the colors special.

I’d only ever done Pack Spur Rd in the summer. It has a couple of small stream crossings, & is more a farm track than a road (it’s a paper road, so not maintained). It was greasy & rutted this time. It climbs quite steeply, & is a mix of clay, rock & pine needles, just so you can’t see which you are on. Perhaps needed tyres with a bit more bite. Then there are a few drainage cross ruts. Fabulous views from the airstrip though.

Te Mai Road was very wet, & gave everything a nice muddy brown coating.

But the time we got back to Tinui Pub it was going dark.

The ride back to Masterton, & then back on SH2 was cold & dark (no moon). Haven’t ridden the Rimutaka’s in the dark for a very long time. Home at 7.20pm.

Google maps tells me that total kms travelled 458kms, & that based on their estimates (excluding the Pack Spur paper road) it should have taken 7hr 54 mins ride time. Gassed up at Upper Hutt with 25 litres. Not sure how much was left in the tank prior, but mileage seems to have improved. Say 28l useage so 16km/litre? Much better than the 12 I was getting previously.

I need a GPS. I can see a few paper roads I'd like to explore / find out if they are viable in that area, mainly Pakowai / Tinui Rd & Springhill Rd. Be good to join some of those loops.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 12:56 AM
Old 06-30-2013, 02:47 AM   #1314
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
The run up to Upper Hutt was freezing, with a low mist up the River Road.

I’d arranged to meet anyone that wanted to ride at 9.00am from Caltex Rinutaka. Loads of bikes coming in, but just me & Brent for this ride. Where were you Paul?
Had an operation on my neck last week..woulda been keen if it was warmer.I went for a ride this afternoon got a weird cramp in the side of my neck....Hinakura road...my favourite
Old 06-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #1315
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,566
Great ride, I've been to Castle Point once. Coming home after dark is not for me, especially not in winter, so I am impressed.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #1316
Padmei
enamoured

Looked like a great ride Nutso. Nice to have a sunny calm day too.
That was a long day for your back - how does it feel this morning?
Old 06-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #1317
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Looked like a great ride Nutso. Nice to have a sunny calm day too.
That was a long day for your back - how does it feel this morning?
Unexpectedly, not too bad. I'll walk to work this am just to free it up a little.

Postcript: It did leave me absolutely hammered for the rest of the week though - ride fitness needs a lot of work.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 04:41 PM
Old 07-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #1318
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Castlehill Rd / Puketoi Rd / Daggs Rd

At the time that I advertised the ride I needed to get to PNth to pick up a Trade me purchase. The Manawatu side was forecast to be cloudy / wet, but the Wairarapa side was supposed to be sunny, so I planned a route to accommodate that. As it happens the vendor wasn’t going to be available on Sunday, so the time & route constraints weren’t there anymore. And no one turned up at Rimutex, so I could do whatever I wanted.

The ride across the Rimutaka’s was one of the only times I have ever ridden the whole thing without being held up by traffic. Spotless day on the Wairarapa side.

No real signs of the recent flooding on the ride from Featherston to Martinborough.

Had a rather nice herb & cheese scone with my coffee at Martinborough’s Village Café. There was a rather tasty GTX (Hemi 'Cuda) parked across the road.

Ponatahi Rd out to Gladstone.

Then up Te Wharau Rd. Stopped at the Kororau Hydro Dam for a look see. Never been there, & the last couple of time I had passed I had wondered what was there.

Down Kaiwhata Rd / Homewood Rd, through the Forestry (stopped for some photos, checked out a couple of side roads), & out to Riversdale for lunch (steak burger & coffee).

Just outside of Riversdale the police crash unit was still doing a site survey from the motorcycle (fatality) vs car from Saturday. On gentle-ish curves, no seeming reason for it.

Moved on to Castlehill Rd. There had been a huge amount of water down the streams there.

Castlehill Rd had some washouts & mud.

Made my way out to SH52, & figured seeing as I was so close to Puketoi Rd, then I’d have a go at that. This a non maintained road running off Hunui Rd, running across to Pori Rd. This is about the level of a well maintained farm track – still has some gravel in the road bed, but some muddy patches. This runs over the Puketoi range, so gets some height. Unfortunately my run across it coincided with the weather starting to close in on the area, so I got some drizzle going across the top.

I love Pori Rd. Excellent views, good gravel, fairly unused, & the road itself is tight-ish, but lets you see well forward, so no possibilities with 4WD catching you unawares.

Back on SH52, 4.00ish, so the day is getting on, but I decided to take on Daggs Rd / Bideford. Actually hadn’t ridden this one, but will again. Good gravel going into nice seal.

Hit Masterton at dusk, full dark by Featherston, where I dropped some fuel into the bike. That was the first I knew of the earthquake. Home 7.00ish to some rather excited girls.

And found Hugo Nougo had snapped me loping past his place at the start of the ride..

457.2kms for the day, 7 hr 4 mins actual ride time, so averaged about 65 kph. Circa 14.85 k/l consumption, based on 25.18 litres I put in the bike at Upper Hutt.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 02:52 AM Reason: Ride Statistics
Old 07-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #1319
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Thumb

Looks like you had a great ride with lots of precious 'helmet time' - for your own thoughts - hoping to join you on one of your large bike friendly rides in the next few months - great pics - cheers Stephen aka Aslan
Oaters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #1320
Padmei
enamoured

Looked good Nutso.