User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
BrzGSAdv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Wicked Following Tracks instead of routes...

I am getting ready for my 1st off-road trip and downloaded all of it into my BMW Navigator IV as tracks.

Question is, how do I work with tracks in Navigator/Nuvi? Where do I tell the unit to "follow that track"? With routes it is simple, select the route and you are done...

Is is the case that I need to be at the start of a non-routable/off-road track in order to "see it" on my screen and then follow it?

Please pardon this noob's ignorance but remember, you have been a noob someday as well!!
1978 Yamaha TT125
Ride on!!!
BrzGSAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
You need to set the tracks to show on your map. You do this by selecting the track in the track folder and in the menu for the track there is a selection for "show on map."

After that, it doesn't route you like a route will. There is no real guidance. Your just following the line on the gps with tracks.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzGSAdv View Post
I am getting ready for my 1st off-road trip and downloaded all of it into my BMW Navigator IV as tracks.

Question is, how do I work with tracks in Navigator/Nuvi?
BMW & Off Road in one sentence?

I don't think Nuvi has any Track Features. It is car uinit, you need real motorcycle unit like 78 or Montana, even e-trex or old 60/76 to do Tracks.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
BMW & Off Road in one sentence?

I don't think Nuvi has any Track Features. It is car uinit, you need real motorcycle unit like 78 or Montana, even e-trex or old 60/76 to do Tracks.
Some of the Nuvis do have tracks, but not all of them.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:33 AM   #5
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,699
IIRC, the Nav IV is a Zumo 660, and the 660 can show tracks that you can use to navigate visually.

Some of the older GPSMAP actually provided a track navigation guidance. My 376C will give "turn by turn" on a track. It's the marine heritage. A track is one way to navigate on water.

Most of the time, I just show the track in a distinctive color on the screen, zoom in a ways, and keep an eye on the track every now and then to see upcoming turns.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
BrzGSAdv OP
Adventurer

Thx!

Thanks all.. yes Dave is right I mentioned Zumo because I know Nav IV is a rebranded 660!

I am trying to get rid of a lot of SH*T I have in the unit like waypoints and routes I won't need etc... to save memory, anyone knows how to ERASE ALL DATA?

NAV IV manual shows a procedure to erase data that all it does is erase all user data/settings but waypoints, old routes, all still there when I go "manage user data".

Best
Rafa
1978 Yamaha TT125
Ride on!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
IIRC, the Nav IV is a Zumo 660, and the 660 can show tracks that you can use to navigate visually.

Some of the older GPSMAP actually provided a track navigation guidance. My 376C will give "turn by turn" on a track. It's the marine heritage. A track is one way to navigate on water.

Most of the time, I just show the track in a distinctive color on the screen, zoom in a ways, and keep an eye on the track every now and then to see upcoming turns.
I have the BMW IV as well...
so, it can show tracks. this is good news as I didn't think it would. how do you get a track on there and get it to show?
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb5plj View Post
I have the BMW IV as well...
so, it can show tracks. this is good news as I didn't think it would. how do you get a track on there and get it to show?
I would start a new thread with proper title for this different question. Get DRTBYK involved, he did a lot of testing on this for Garmin before swithing ot Montana.

First you need to know how many "Saved Tracks" it will hold and how many "Track Points" for each track it will hold. You may have to edit the Tracks in any file you obtain off the Internet.

Tracks are Downloaded with MapSource, Basecamp, or possibly just copying a .gpx file usisng Explore on PC.

As to unit, most of them have a "Track Manager" page you can get to from Menu or Setup pages. This page is used to turn ON/OFF tracks, set color and other things.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,388
On the 660/665, you need to download the tracks and "import" them into the unit via the "My data" folder.

THEN...you MUST also go to "offroad tracks" (this is code for "not routes") via the 660 menu and select "show on map" for each track downloaded as well as choose a color for the track.

There are limits on how many tracks you cn have at a time and how many points they can each have. Don't know the numbers for sure but I think it's 15 tracks and 500 points per. Don't count on me being correct on these, but do know that there are limits. Tracks can be filtered in basecamp if you need to reduce the number of points.

I successfully loaded and followed a 500 point track this weekend for the wildwood 400 on a 665, but I think point 501 kills it.

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I would start a new thread with proper title for this different question. Get DRTBYK involved, he did a lot of testing on this for Garmin before swithing ot Montana.

First you need to know how many "Saved Tracks" it will hold and how many "Track Points" for each track it will hold. You may have to edit the Tracks in any file you obtain off the Internet.

Tracks are Downloaded with MapSource, Basecamp, or possibly just copying a .gpx file usisng Explore on PC.

As to unit, most of them have a "Track Manager" page you can get to from Menu or Setup pages. This page is used to turn ON/OFF tracks, set color and other things.
thanks. I will, now back to the show...
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
BrzGSAdv OP
Adventurer

Thanks Alley... your method seems to work!
1978 Yamaha TT125
Ride on!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:33 AM   #12
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
Tracks can be filtered in basecamp if you need to reduce the number of points.
Filtering a track by reducing its number of points will change the track's shape. A track 20 miles long with 500 points will show much more detail than one 100 miles long with 500 points. Sometimes reducing the number of points in a single track isn't the way to go, it might be better to break up that single track into several.

dlh62c screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 01:39 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
I used a Garmin 60cx for several years. As such I was limited to 500 point tracks.

I found I could navigate minor dirt roads adequately virtually all of the time with tracks that were ~150 miles long or about .3 miles per point. I would routinely filter tracks created from routes and dowloaded from other riders.

Off hand about the only situations I can think of that would require ultra-fine resolution is when there is no visible road or trail for a mile or so or when there is a tighly packed maze of trails and only one will work.

I now have a Montana. I didn't know about the 200 track limit. I have just been loading tracks onto to like there was no limit. May need to check this.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Filtering a track by reducing its number of points will change the track's shape. Sometimes reducing the number of points in a single track isn't the way to go, it might be better to break up that single track into several.
First tracks should be recorded with Automatic and Most often, then filtered. This gives the most points for crooked protions and allmost no points on straight sections.

I promote several Dual Sport events a year including Mex2Can.com My standard is one 500 point track from gas to gas which is 100-140 miles. No real technical reason except it is easier for customers to turn correct tracks ON/OFF.

As to following tracks, most areas require you to stay on designated roads and trails. A GPS track is useless to help follow a road or trail (unless total white out and you are flying instrument), you just follow the road to the next intersection. The GPS track just shows you which way to turn at intersections, all other points are of no use except to reasure you that you are on the correct road.