View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #4126
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Awesome pictures good sir!!! More please!!!
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #4127
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
More on FB page

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #4128
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
I agree with 100% vicster!
I wish they would price the XC model closer to $15K...I have three bikes on my short list, Tenere, Explorer XC, and 1190 Adventure.
These are estimated prices, but if you can get a Tenere for around $13500 and put some quality farkles on, you'd be close to $16K or so...
The 1190 Adventure is supposedly around $15K without farkles...so add some farkles and you might be close to $17K
The Explorer XC starts out at $17K, without hard bags, so maybe add a grand, $18K....

So we will see what happens!!! It's exciting though....
I've test ridden the Tenere, the TEX, but not the KTM 990 yet. The Tenere was poorly set up, but I could still see myself on it. I really liked all but the twitchy throttle on the TEX. Locally a 2012 Tenere (identical to the '13) is available for $12,490, not sure of fees with that dealer. A 2102 990 - actually preferable to the '13 for me because it has ABS- is available for $12,990 plus a couple hundred F&S. I already own the Happy Trails luggage for these bikes, only have to buy mounts. When I checked a while ago Happy Trails didn't have TEX mounts available.
For an Explorere XC (I prefer spokes) the local Triumph dealer wants;
$17,163
700 F&S
150 Doc Fee
50 License
~1,600 Sales Tax
For a total of ~ $19,663 before the bargaining starts.
As much as I like the TEX, I just can't bring myself to pay that. My 2010 Rocket Roadster w/abs was only $13,999 plus T&L from the same dealer. The dealer is pretty insistent they can charge the F&S on their Tiger and Explorer XCs, though in the past they didn't charge F&S on anything.
I think Triumph may be making a mistake by setting their prices relative to BMW instead of the rest of the market. Yamaha's 3 cylinder equivalent to the 800 Roadie weighs 40+ pound less and sells for $2,000 less and their Tenere MSRP is about $2000 less than the TEX XC.

vicster screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 03:24 PM
vicster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #4129
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
I've test ridden the Tenere, the TEX, but not the KTM 990 yet. The Tenere was poorly set up, but I could still see myself on it. I really liked all but the twitchy throttle on the TEX. Locally a 2012 Tenere (identical to the '13) is available for $12,490, not sure of fees with that dealer. A 2102 990 - actually preferable to the '13 for me because it has ABS- is available for $12,990 plus a couple hundred F&S. I already own the Happy Trails luggage for these bikes, only have to buy mounts. When I checked a while ago Happy Trails didn't have TEX mounts available.
For an Explorere XC (I prefer spokes) the local Triumph dealer wants;
$17,163
700 F&S
150 Doc Fee
50 License
~1,600 Sales Tax
For a total of ~ $19,663 before the bargaining starts.
As much as I like the TEX, I just can't bring myself to pay that. My 2010 Rocket Roadster w/abs was only $13,999 plus T&L from the same dealer. The dealer is pretty insistent they can charge the F&S on their Tiger and Explorer XCs, though in the past they didn't charge F&S on anything.
I think Triumph may be making a mistake by setting their prices relative to BMW instead of the rest of the market. Yamaha's 3 cylinder equivalent to the 800 Roadie weighs 40+ pound less and sells for $2,000 less and their Tenere MSRP is about $2000 less than the TEX XC.
Tex didn't cost near that from my local Triumph dealer, be willing to shop around.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #4130
vicster
Studly Adventurer

After I test ride a 990, if still interested I will shop around for a better price and give the local dealer a chance to match. I want to stay with them if possible since I've already developed a relationship there plus they give free oil changes for life. At this point I don't understand their posturing since as far as I know they've yet to sell a TEX and still have their Launch Edition sitting there.
It's hard to imagine a deal though where the TEX won't cost roughly 20% more than a Tenere or 990. I understand motorcycles are not a logical purchase and not saying it isn't worth it, just part of my thought process.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #4131
ongrade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Don't know where your located but just FYI. I bought my TEX XC for $18500 OTD in SF Bay Area(ridiculous Ca reg and local sales taxes included), that was with a trade in that I got KBB retail for in the deal. Really surprised me that they went that far, 'specially with the trade in. So deals can be had, I bet you could get OTD for $17500 or less if your taxes are lower.

Joe
ongrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #4132
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Ongrade, sounds like you got the bike you wanted, congrats sir!!! That is awesome! Have any pics to share?
But should we factor in your trade-in to the price difference? Does this mean that there is a few thousand dollars difference somewhere in your deal?
I'm just thinking that most dealers won't budge so much on new models, like the XC, but some might, I'm not a dealer.
If I could get in that range $17-$18K, with Trax hardbags and an aftermarket exhaust, I'd be smiling I think.

I think the XC will be interesting to see in that Matte Graphite though, also that Orange someone said exists, bring them on, but can you lower the MSRP please!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #4133
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, I think if I get a TEX I'll probably wait a while to see how prices and such shake out. I'm on my third Hinckley (sp?) Triumph, and with all respect they don't command a premium price in MY world, especially for a first year model.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #4134
ongrade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Ongrade, sounds like you got the bike you wanted, congrats sir!!! That is awesome! Have any pics to share?
But should we factor in your trade-in to the price difference? Does this mean that there is a few thousand dollars difference somewhere in your deal?
I'm just thinking that most dealers won't budge so much on new models, like the XC, but some might, I'm not a dealer.
If I could get in that range $17-$18K, with Trax hardbags and an aftermarket exhaust, I'd be smiling I think.

I think the XC will be interesting to see in that Matte Graphite though, also that Orange someone said exists, bring them on, but can you lower the MSRP please!
My trade was a 2012 Tiger XC, I'm out about 1k from what I paid for it new, but I put about 6k miles on it in 7 months so I consider it a wash. I pulled everything off I put on it and sold it all. Personally after riding a GSA and living with the tiger for a while I believe the TEX is worth the price. But my off road is limited to fire roads and the occasional easy single track. Don't know what an S10 handles like but it feels much more top heavy than the TEX. I wouldn't want to take it off road.
ongrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #4135
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
New Head

I stopped @ my dealer's shop yesterday to see how they were coming with my new head install & this is what I found. Me thinks she's getting more than just a head job.

I sure hope Mike can put Humpty back together again...
Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #4136
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Your mechanic followed instructions by the book. Mine did to my bike the same thing as it was his first to do. He has done three already and he improved from 4 days to 12 hours and he does not remove the engine now... Removing the engine requires disconnecting FD... That's why you see skeleton.,,

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #4137
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
My shop said it took almost 3 days but they thought that time would be shortened with experience. They also removed the engine from the frame, said just not enough room to work on the head properly without doing so. All put back together, I can't tell they even touched the engine but she sure is quieter.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #4138
Brian06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Called my dealer today, confirmed my vin is in the range (5382**). Apparently there is no bulletin, just a note that says possible noisy engine. So I can take it down and if they think the rattle is loud enough they will do the work. Does that sound right?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #4139
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian06 View Post
Called my dealer today, confirmed my vin is in the range (5382**). Apparently there is no bulletin, just a note that says possible noisy engine. So I can take it down and if they think the rattle is loud enough they will do the work. Does that sound right?
I mentioned the noise to my dealer the first weekend I had it back in May of last year. When the new head offer came about a couple months back I mentioned it again & the head was ordered the same day.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #4140
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Just curious, I can't remember if I asked this before, oops....

Are any of these head replacements on XC models? Or is this too new of a model to know yet?