ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #4111
St_rydr
Strider
 
St_rydr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Jnsvl, WI
Oddometer: 5,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
What kind of MPG are you folks getting with your Explorers?
46 mpg set at 72mph. Mixed commuting about 43.
__________________
"Only a rider knows how much a fellow rider suffers in the winter." - Rob1313

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #4112
MrMac
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Dacula, Ga.
Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
What kind of MPG are you folks getting with your Explorers?
Overall average for the first 2k miles has been about 48mpg(US). Although it seems to be dropping a bit now that I'm getting 'comfortable' with the throttle..
__________________
K13 Tiger Explorer XC, K7-KLR650

Some of the more aware dinosaurs warned of the dangers of an iridium-enriched nuclear reactor. 'If this thing goes off', they warned, 'there would be nothing left but cockroaches and mammals.'
MrMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #4113
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,605
Just got pulled over this morning and reminded to increase my mileage to 50MPG.


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #4114
vicster
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
Just got pulled over this morning and reminded to increase my mileage to 50MPG.


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer


Thanks for the feedback on MPG. The TEX is on my short list, and decent range is a vote in its favor. I'm a current triple owner and have to admit a fondness for them. Wish the TEX was a little more dirt oriented and priced a little closer to the deals available on a 990 or Super Tenere. We'll see...
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #4115
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer
 
TIGERRIDER007's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Acworth, GA
Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post


Thanks for the feedback on MPG. The TEX is on my short list, and decent range is a vote in its favor. I'm a current triple owner and have to admit a fondness for them. Wish the TEX was a little more dirt oriented and priced a little closer to the deals available on a 990 or Super Tenere. We'll see...
I agree with 100% vicster!
I wish they would price the XC model closer to $15K...I have three bikes on my short list, Tenere, Explorer XC, and 1190 Adventure.
These are estimated prices, but if you can get a Tenere for around $13500 and put some quality farkles on, you'd be close to $16K or so...
The 1190 Adventure is supposedly around $15K without farkles...so add some farkles and you might be close to $17K
The Explorer XC starts out at $17K, without hard bags, so maybe add a grand, $18K....

So we will see what happens!!! It's exciting though....
__________________
Scott
06' Triumph Tiger (my lifer)
05' Husqvarna TE510 (yeller and blue)
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #4116
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,605
It's heavy to lift and push through dirt but I'm not looking for easy way out





I didn't have to turn neither ABS nor TC off and it pulled hard through slippery stuff uphill and was holding steady downhill...


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #4117
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer
 
TIGERRIDER007's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Acworth, GA
Oddometer: 947
Awesome pictures good sir!!! More please!!!
__________________
Scott
06' Triumph Tiger (my lifer)
05' Husqvarna TE510 (yeller and blue)
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #4118
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,605
More on FB page


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #4119
vicster
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
I agree with 100% vicster!
I wish they would price the XC model closer to $15K...I have three bikes on my short list, Tenere, Explorer XC, and 1190 Adventure.
These are estimated prices, but if you can get a Tenere for around $13500 and put some quality farkles on, you'd be close to $16K or so...
The 1190 Adventure is supposedly around $15K without farkles...so add some farkles and you might be close to $17K
The Explorer XC starts out at $17K, without hard bags, so maybe add a grand, $18K....

So we will see what happens!!! It's exciting though....
I've test ridden the Tenere, the TEX, but not the KTM 990 yet. The Tenere was poorly set up, but I could still see myself on it. I really liked all but the twitchy throttle on the TEX. Locally a 2012 Tenere (identical to the '13) is available for $12,490, not sure of fees with that dealer. A 2102 990 - actually preferable to the '13 for me because it has ABS- is available for $12,990 plus a couple hundred F&S. I already own the Happy Trails luggage for these bikes, only have to buy mounts. When I checked a while ago Happy Trails didn't have TEX mounts available.
For an Explorere XC (I prefer spokes) the local Triumph dealer wants;
$17,163
700 F&S
150 Doc Fee
50 License
~1,600 Sales Tax
For a total of ~ $19,663 before the bargaining starts.
As much as I like the TEX, I just can't bring myself to pay that. My 2010 Rocket Roadster w/abs was only $13,999 plus T&L from the same dealer. The dealer is pretty insistent they can charge the F&S on their Tiger and Explorer XCs, though in the past they didn't charge F&S on anything.
I think Triumph may be making a mistake by setting their prices relative to BMW instead of the rest of the market. Yamaha's 3 cylinder equivalent to the 800 Roadie weighs 40+ pound less and sells for $2,000 less and their Tenere MSRP is about $2000 less than the TEX XC.

vicster screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 03:24 PM
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #4120
St_rydr
Strider
 
St_rydr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Jnsvl, WI
Oddometer: 5,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
I've test ridden the Tenere, the TEX, but not the KTM 990 yet. The Tenere was poorly set up, but I could still see myself on it. I really liked all but the twitchy throttle on the TEX. Locally a 2012 Tenere (identical to the '13) is available for $12,490, not sure of fees with that dealer. A 2102 990 - actually preferable to the '13 for me because it has ABS- is available for $12,990 plus a couple hundred F&S. I already own the Happy Trails luggage for these bikes, only have to buy mounts. When I checked a while ago Happy Trails didn't have TEX mounts available.
For an Explorere XC (I prefer spokes) the local Triumph dealer wants;
$17,163
700 F&S
150 Doc Fee
50 License
~1,600 Sales Tax
For a total of ~ $19,663 before the bargaining starts.
As much as I like the TEX, I just can't bring myself to pay that. My 2010 Rocket Roadster w/abs was only $13,999 plus T&L from the same dealer. The dealer is pretty insistent they can charge the F&S on their Tiger and Explorer XCs, though in the past they didn't charge F&S on anything.
I think Triumph may be making a mistake by setting their prices relative to BMW instead of the rest of the market. Yamaha's 3 cylinder equivalent to the 800 Roadie weighs 40+ pound less and sells for $2,000 less and their Tenere MSRP is about $2000 less than the TEX XC.
Tex didn't cost near that from my local Triumph dealer, be willing to shop around.
__________________
"Only a rider knows how much a fellow rider suffers in the winter." - Rob1313

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #4121
vicster
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,085
After I test ride a 990, if still interested I will shop around for a better price and give the local dealer a chance to match. I want to stay with them if possible since I've already developed a relationship there plus they give free oil changes for life. At this point I don't understand their posturing since as far as I know they've yet to sell a TEX and still have their Launch Edition sitting there.
It's hard to imagine a deal though where the TEX won't cost roughly 20% more than a Tenere or 990. I understand motorcycles are not a logical purchase and not saying it isn't worth it, just part of my thought process.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #4122
ongrade
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 138
Don't know where your located but just FYI. I bought my TEX XC for $18500 OTD in SF Bay Area(ridiculous Ca reg and local sales taxes included), that was with a trade in that I got KBB retail for in the deal. Really surprised me that they went that far, 'specially with the trade in. So deals can be had, I bet you could get OTD for $17500 or less if your taxes are lower.

Joe
ongrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #4123
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer
 
TIGERRIDER007's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Acworth, GA
Oddometer: 947
Ongrade, sounds like you got the bike you wanted, congrats sir!!! That is awesome! Have any pics to share?
But should we factor in your trade-in to the price difference? Does this mean that there is a few thousand dollars difference somewhere in your deal?
I'm just thinking that most dealers won't budge so much on new models, like the XC, but some might, I'm not a dealer.
If I could get in that range $17-$18K, with Trax hardbags and an aftermarket exhaust, I'd be smiling I think.

I think the XC will be interesting to see in that Matte Graphite though, also that Orange someone said exists, bring them on, but can you lower the MSRP please!
__________________
Scott
06' Triumph Tiger (my lifer)
05' Husqvarna TE510 (yeller and blue)
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #4124
vicster
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,085
Yeah, I think if I get a TEX I'll probably wait a while to see how prices and such shake out. I'm on my third Hinckley (sp?) Triumph, and with all respect they don't command a premium price in MY world, especially for a first year model.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #4125
ongrade
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Ongrade, sounds like you got the bike you wanted, congrats sir!!! That is awesome! Have any pics to share?
But should we factor in your trade-in to the price difference? Does this mean that there is a few thousand dollars difference somewhere in your deal?
I'm just thinking that most dealers won't budge so much on new models, like the XC, but some might, I'm not a dealer.
If I could get in that range $17-$18K, with Trax hardbags and an aftermarket exhaust, I'd be smiling I think.

I think the XC will be interesting to see in that Matte Graphite though, also that Orange someone said exists, bring them on, but can you lower the MSRP please!
My trade was a 2012 Tiger XC, I'm out about 1k from what I paid for it new, but I put about 6k miles on it in 7 months so I consider it a wash. I pulled everything off I put on it and sold it all. Personally after riding a GSA and living with the tiger for a while I believe the TEX is worth the price. But my off road is limited to fire roads and the occasional easy single track. Don't know what an S10 handles like but it feels much more top heavy than the TEX. I wouldn't want to take it off road.
ongrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015