User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
chevyjlewis OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
looking for bike

I am searching for my first motorcycle ever. i have rode dirt bikes and atvs my whole life, but looking to get a motorcycle. I live in missouri and would love to comute during the summer on my bike.

i just wanted to say whats up and get some advice. I grew up riding honda atvs so i am kind of partial to Honda streetbikes or their adventure bike. my idea of a first bike is somthing small in cc but big enough to carry a 5'9 210lbs man
chevyjlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:26 AM   #2
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,250
Seeing as your a Chevy man I'll give ya my answer. You've ridden dirt bikes so why not get a street/dirt bike like a Honda XLR or a Suzuki DR or a Kawasaki KLR? Don't ask which is better, there isn't a answer. Gotta lot of bucks to burn? Get a KTM. Good luck. Missouri is a great state for biking.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
chevyjlewis OP
Adventurer

Thanks. I actually have been looking into a dirt/streetbike because of all the great gravel roads in missouri.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,609
Try a Dr/xr/klr. They're all pretty good do all bikes. The klr is the heaviest with best seat,the Dr/xr are more dirt bike than the klr though. I gave the Dr a nod due to cheaper build up cost and more aftermarket parts. Husky makes a 610,BMW has a 650,and ktm has a 640/690. Those are all in about the same class. If you're just doing gravel then you can go bigger without issues,but I wouldn't recommend a bigger bike for off road or single track. Even at single track the 650's are a bit big. Just match your bike to your riding. Your smaller bikes will be less highway friendly if you commute on one any distance, but much nicer off road. A drz400 might do you well too. Id say it's between the current 250s and 650's in terms of road/street.

Your smaller bikes would be a wr250r,klx250,Honda's 230,and a host of others. The wr being heads above the others.

If you just do gravel don't worry so much about a dual sport. Most bikes can handle gravel,just mind the paint and chrome.

Most bigger "ADV" bikes are good for forest roads and the like. I wouldn't recommend a big 1200gs off road,but given patience and skill it's possible. Just remember,she'll fall hard..and she's heavy to pick up. The same for running a plated dirt bike on the highway. Possible,but you really wind one up on the slab. Look into a plate conversion if you do lots of off road and barely any highway, they're legal in most states.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
I picked up a '12 DR and use it for commuting in the Twin Cities and backroads/gravel exploring on the weekends. Riding it to KC for BBQ first weekend in September and I'll have to check out some of the MO gravel roads.

It's a fine bike. Plenty of power for me and easy to strap on the camera gear for my work if need be. Cheap to own. Cheap to run and easy to repair and find farkles for to personalize.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,609
Wait till you put a pumper carb on her. Loads more power.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,952
DRZ400.
Faster than the 650 air cooled bikes.
Same weight as the 250's
Stone reliable.
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
jowannab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Hey Chevy Man.i just traded for a nice xrl 650 05 model call me if u like ,,coy 1 800 300 3314
jowannab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
You should get a cowey bro...
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
chevyjlewis OP
Adventurer

I went to a dealer yesterday. They didnt have any super motos which is what i am leaning towards right now because honestly i will be doin alot more street driving than i will gravel and i doubt i ever make i to the woods. The klr that i looked at seemed monsterous as i am only 5'9" tall. I like the suzuki 400 alot. I need to save some money and do alot of research on price points and equipment/safety needs for both summer and winter driving. Also i have to find a time to take a safety course and start studying a liscence book for a written test
Old 06-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,445
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyjlewis View Post
I went to a dealer yesterday. They didnt have any super motos which is what i am leaning towards right now because honestly i will be doin alot more street driving than i will gravel and i doubt i ever make i to the woods. The klr that i looked at seemed monsterous as i am only 5'9" tall. I like the suzuki 400 alot. I need to save some money and do alot of research on price points and equipment/safety needs for both summer and winter driving. Also i have to find a time to take a safety course and start studying a liscence book for a written test
^
I have a CRF 230 for sale. That would be a great starter bike and its right here in MO,

car94 screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 03:38 PM
car94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
Find the local MSF or state motorcycle safety course, and take that. You'll learn valuable lessons you'll need to know when you ride on the street.

The habits you develop in the dirt aren't the same ones for street riding. The class will teach you that.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
chevyjlewis OP
Adventurer

Allready have that planned
Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Make sure you leave about $1000+ in your budget for riding gear. Especially if you plan on riding in winter! Helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, and boots add up quick. 90+ degrees will be hot no matter what you wear but good winter gear is worth its weight in gold!!!!

An aerostitch roadcrafter is a good choice if you want one piece that will last you year round. Its a little hot in summer and comfortable in winter with a heated vest under it. Of course it will cost you $900 new though. The one piece only takes about 15 seconds to get in or out of. Like an idiot, I didn't buy one and now have about $900 in separate summer and winter jackets / pants that take longer to get out of and take up tons of space in my closet.

Fajita Dave screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 05:54 PM
Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
pinarello rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Allready have that planned
That's some of the best money you'll spend. I changed the way I drive after doing that course.
pinarello rider is offline   Reply With Quote