Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #91
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist View Post
Helluva ride.

Appreciate a little intel on the roads, especially the Cassiar, when you get around to writing it up.
i'll talk about all the roads, including the USA route.

if you're departing on a northern trip real soon, PM me for some info.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #92
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

AspentureRider didn't say "ride this road, don't ride that one", thanks Mike, and i chose my own...some included wide open spaces where i could see the gentle curvature of the earth.

stay tuned.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #93
b dash rian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Hope everything went well at mi casa in Anchorage! I'm headed for the Cassiar now. Sitting in Smithers drying out for a bit. Torrential rain this morning....
b dash rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #94
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by b dash rian View Post
Hope everything went well at mi casa in Anchorage! I'm headed for the Cassiar now. Sitting in Smithers drying out for a bit. Torrential rain this morning....
all well at the house, bike and gear on the right. thanks again for the use of the garage.

point Mike to the pressure washer you'll need on that KTM.

the Cassier is currently open, but some of the roads i was on south and east might be closed due to washout.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #95
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i should mention for the benefit of those riding the BC roads, i got a fraud alert on a Visa card by the time i reached the Yukon border. when i was read the list of charges on the card, fraud occurred from the very first use.

this is the second time this has happened in BC with a Visa card, the first being on my 2011 trip through there.

the card was used intermittently, and only for fuel, no other purchases. there are many fuel stops that only take Visa/Mastercard, plan accordingly.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #96
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i should mention for the benefit of those riding the BC roads, i got a fraud alert on a Visa card by the time i reached the Yukon border. when i was read the list of charges on the card, fraud occurred from the very first use.

this is the second time this has happened in BC with a Visa card, the first being on my 2011 trip through there.

the card was used intermittently, and only for fuel, no other purchases. there are many fuel stops that only take Visa/Mastercard, plan accordingly.
Not sure I understand - was there actual fraud or did Visa just think there was fraud because it was used away from your home/normal use?

If it was actual fraud - any thoughts on prevention?
2004 ST1300 - sold
2005 V-Strom 650 - sold
OHjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #97
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHjim View Post
Not sure I understand - was there actual fraud or did Visa just think there was fraud because it was used away from your home/normal use?

If it was actual fraud - any thoughts on prevention?

actual fraud, about $500 in a matter of hours. very similar to what happened in 2011. i'm not clear on how the card number is stolen and reused, other than knowing the first charge was from the same town where i first used the card.

could be an added card reader at the pump, the clerk in the quick mart, i have no idea. Visa picked up on it surprisingly fast.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #98
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

a photo from Colorado, and the reason behind active fire seasons with some huge fires...

the beetle killed trees stretch to the horizon, same in sections of the western Provinces.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #99
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i'll talk about all the roads, including the USA route.

if you're departing on a northern trip real soon, PM me for some info.
Leaving Saturday for Colorado, but won't be headed north for about two weeks, so I'll just follow your report. Thanks.

Do you remember where that first use of the Visa was? And thanks for the heads up.

The roads are hosed in Alberta, so I'll be going up the west side of the mountains, retracing a 2010 trip.
Bicyclist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #100
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist View Post
Leaving Saturday for Colorado, but won't be headed north for about two weeks, so I'll just follow your report. Thanks.

Do you remember where that first use of the Visa was? And thanks for the heads up.

The roads are hosed in Alberta, so I'll be going up the west side of the mountains, retracing a 2010 trip.

i might get to the Cassier in 2 weeks, maybe.

don't abandon your route just yet, the Canucks repair those roads quickly, and also keep their DOT road reports updated almost to the hour.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #101
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

this was largely a paved road route, but as many riders already know, there are paved roads...then there are western paved roads.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #102
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,112
We met some folks from Alberta in Tok last week and they were damn glad not to be at home. The damage around Canmore is pretty severe.

There's always workarounds, but the road crews are gonna have their hands full for a while.
WetSideRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #103
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,122
Once upon a time.The lived a beautiful bridge with a lazy flowing river running under neath.The mother nature decide to wipe everything out.She's a vicious bitch.

I hope they recover quickly.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #104
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetSideRider View Post
We met some folks from Alberta in Tok last week and they were damn glad not to be at home. The damage around Canmore is pretty severe.
hey Dan,

sorry to miss you the following morning, but i was due in Valdez and scooted early.

i didn't see any high water in the eastern foothills when i went through, must have rained like crazy shortly afterward.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #105
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
...lived a beautiful bridge with a lazy flowing river running underneath...
i've been on trips up that way several times early in the season, and there's more snow up high this time than i remember. snow melt plus rain could mean more road problems.

as i said, the Canucks are fast with the repairs, washouts being nothing new to them.