ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #121
Buddy_Holly
Imminent Train Wreck

Oddometer: 1,122
The more I read about EARL the more I get pumped about it. For 300 you get so much functionality. On my last look at their site I saw that they are adding another port for an external antenna (This again is something I have limited concern about- but it expands it capabilities beyond just a GPS). The site says it will have a five hour recharge time in sunlight from the built in solar panel- I would think that a full day of riding might not be enough to charge it and use it at the same time, but just having it be able to catch first light and last light of the day should be great for most riders who don't ride sun-up to sun-down.

They have some video of the refresh and scrolling on it and it seem acceptable. For me just being able to make a stop and see in the sunlight where I am and if I am on track would be a big bonus. While riding if it is constantly refreshing I can see this as a problem because all of the lines will be blurry and indistinct. I hope this is not the case- especially since while riding it won't be perfectly stable on any handlebar in the dirt- it will be blurry from movement on its own. With color screens this is less of a big deal but with grey scale it can get hard to see.

In the end I am hoping for the best. At the worst I will have a new e-reader for books, that I can run every andriod ap on, and charge with solar.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #122
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I really appreciate the knowledge here and I am hoping that OsmAnd is my solution. For a long time I have been using google maps as my preferred method of navigation just because it's so easy and there is a web based interface that I can create my maps with (which i have gotten pretty decent at). The one nice thing that I really love about google maps is that you can download your area for offline use (menu > Make available offline) so you don't need to use any data, just GPS signal. I was just in the appalachians so I downloaded about 250 square miles of the area I was going to be in before hand.

However I really want to be able to load up some GPX maps that have been created by the community and OsmAnd seems to be the ticket, just tested and loaded up some .gbx files. They have a great how-to as well:

https://code.google.com/p/osmand/wik...oViewGPXTracks

As for the debate of smartphone vs. Garmin I can only speak to the smartphone and for the money I feel it's a viable solution despite the shortcomings (not waterproof and screen visibility in sun). My gloves (dianese 2-stroke) work on touch screens and in mild rain my windshield protects the phone from getting wet (while at speed), in heavy downpours I pull the phone off the mount and throw it in the tank bag until it's safe. It works but if I had $500-$700 with nothing better to spend it on it seems like a dedicated device would be pretty nice.

I have been using a Galaxy GS3 for over a year and it's been great, just got a GS4 and it's pretty awesome, however they just announced a GS4 'Active' which is waterproof (AT&T only right now).

After a few rides I'll report back on how well it's working for me.
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #123
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 765
I am in the same boat.......

I've had my Zumo 550 since late 2006. I use it on both my Vee and my KLX450. Basically, I am using a technology that is now approaching 7 years. It always confounds me as to why my Zumo takes me to a place/destination one way and then routes me back home another way even if I hit detour numerous times. Never figured that out. I also believe that I should be able to "record" my route and edit/manage without a lot of fuss.

Mapsource was OK and now I am learning Basecamp to handle my routes and tracks.

I just got a new VZ Galaxy S4 and now I am thinking that instead of buying another dedicated GPS such as Oregon or Montana which I heard is much better at tracks, I am thinking of just purchasing an Android App or two although I need a way to easily create routes and/or tracks and upload.

Google Maps is interesting but I simply can't get the hack of building my route as I always mess it up because the "Draw a Line Along Roads" seem to automate some of the routes and follow another road/route that I was not interested in. The "Draw a Line" feature does not follow the existing road and so I am not sure if it is accurate if I import into an Android App. What is the secret to effectively using Google Maps?

As far as the Android Apps, I ran across couple of apps that I believe will work for both my street (routes) and Trail (tracks).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2x4.EMFB&hl=en

Anyone have any experience with EMFB app? It claims to handle routes directly from Google Maps while incorporating few nifty features such as weather radar, etc.

Second app for trails and single track is Dual Sport Maps app for Android. I was not aware until after reading these threads that DSM may close down although they are promoting the DSM for Android, etc.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753520

I tend to agree that current smartphones are more like computers and theoretically should offer more functions and ease of use than dedicated GPS units. I maybe wrong.

Any feedback on Android Apps and secrets to using Google Maps will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #124
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,923
You guys should look up the new Garmin Monterra. There's a thread started today about it. Looks like a game changer.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #125
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You guys should look up the new Garmin Monterra. There's a thread started today about it. Looks like a game changer.
So I just got a Montana with all the fixings to hedge my bets vs the insecurity of DSM's future and now this Monterra comes out. Whew, sure glad I paid a bit extra and got it from a retailer with a liberal return policy. But with no phone in the Monterra (yet), I guess I still have to carry my Rugby Smart. Wise to do so in any case for redundancy anyway, I guess.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #126
ADWrider
AKA Acorn27

Oddometer: 78
I'm totally new to GPS and tracks, but a few days ago I ran some tracks downloaded from Cannonshot. I was able to open the GPX files in the Motion-X app on my iPhone and follow the tracks no problem. I pre-loaded the map data in case I was out of cell range. The 4s has GPS capability so it would get nav data without cellular.

It worked slick and for now I have no intentions of buying a dedicated GPS unit as this iPhone setup worked great. Total investment <$50 including waterproof bar-mount case.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #127
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Problem is (as I understand it) that phone based GPS'es usually don't have the maps in their memory. A 3G/4G connection is necessary to access maps beyond a small area. Germin's (for the most part) have them internally.

Yes some apps have the ability to download maps of limited area, but it would take a shitload of them to cover something like the TAT.

Anyone know of a phone app which has all the maps internally ?
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #128
ADWrider
AKA Acorn27

Oddometer: 78
Good point. For day or weekend rides like I'm geared up for now, the pre-load map data works fine. But for a longer trip covering a large distance without cell coverage that could be an issue.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #129
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
.... But with no phone in the Monterra (yet), I guess I still have to carry my Rugby Smart. ....
With WiFi, the Monterra should be capable of running Skype. Though not a perfect solution, it gives the option of being able to pull over at a Hot Spot and make a call.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #130
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound View Post
Problem is (as I understand it) that phone based GPS'es usually don't have the maps in their memory. A 3G/4G connection is necessary to access maps beyond a small area. Germin's (for the most part) have them internally.

Yes some apps have the ability to download maps of limited area, but it would take a shitload of them to cover something like the TAT.

Anyone know of a phone app which has all the maps internally ?
My god, you havent read anything in this thread?
Any navigation app you buy for your phone will offer you to download the map in segments to the phone. I use Navigon on the iPad and iPhone and it uses the same maps as Garmin does.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #131
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
With WiFi, the Monterra should be capable of running Skype. Though not a perfect solution, it gives the option of being able to pull over at a Hot Spot and make a call.
Yeah, that's a good point. But I hope to avoid hot spots when I'm pitching the tent at the end of the day (for as long as I can anyway). Even with my smartphone I still wont have a PLB/Spot-type device on-board, so when I get one of those too, I guess I can send my ok messages home with it (with the Connect version or similar).

When Google gets their WiFi ballons all over the skies we'll be set. And no way to get away from it all either.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #132
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 249
im using a Samsung s3 as my sat nav and it works great with the exception of not being able to see the screen in direct sunlight. now thinking the monterra might be the answer if it can run android apps

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #133
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,901
The new version of google maps will store maps offline in iOS & Android. I'd love to hear what the community thinks of that.

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com.a...martphone.html
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #134
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,523
I'm considering the new Nexus 7.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #135
SwissFreek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Kind of wish Garmin would update their app to be an iPhone version of the Montana (or Monterra). Not likely since they'd obviously rather sell you either, but it'd be nice to be able to interface with BaseCamp and standard Garmin maps/tracks. I'd willingly pay a large amount of money for said app ($100? quite possibly).

Currently using an iPhone in a Lifeproof case held by an X-Grip on the handlebar. Apple maps on the road and MotionX GPS on the trails. Works pretty awesome, especially once I rigged up a charger. Can't fathom buying a dedicated Garmin at this point...

I have a regular iPad but that's just too big (for the bike) and quite difficult and expensive to ruggedize, which only makes it bigger, but when Apple makes a retina iPad mini, I will be "upgrading", and that WILL go on the bike. It's just about the perfect size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
SwissFreek is offline   Reply With Quote