Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #76
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmdirtybiker View Post
I watched the first two episodes on demand last night. I am assuming that they are going to an orphanage to do some work, a good deed I guess. My question is, would it have been better to take all the money it cost to produce this show, plus all the money these highly paid people could have earned in the time it took to do the show and give it to the orphanage? Then they could hire local people and boost the local economyand fix the building. A friend who works for a charity in Africa told me of a donation to her charity of half a million dollars. A large gift to be sure, then the donor spent over a million dollars telling the world how generous they were.
I am the last guy to tell anybody how to give away their money, but I was taught never to brag about how generous I am in comparison to someone else. Be charitable and be quiet about it. A wise man once said " It is amazing how much you can get done when you don't try and get credit for it".
I will try and watch the rest of the shows and maybe I will feel less jaded by this show. I have never traveled anywhere except the US, but I have seen lots hard working very poor people in my travels in my big truck. If I had been in some of the poorer sections of America wearing three or four thousand dollars worth of clothing in front of people whose clothes are falling apart, I am not sure what my feelings would have been.
Hopefully thus show will get better.
Really good post.

The wise man you mention was Robert Woodruff, the guy who made Coca-Cola what it is today. The actual words are "There is no limit to what a man can achieve as long as he doesn't care who get's the credit." (Harry Truman also used to say it.) Words to live by...

Corporate philanthropy is a very important part of the marketing mix, and it's not always easy to promote it gracefully.

Neale Bayly is a personal friend and his passion for philanthropy is infectious. The story about how he found that orphanage in the first place is way more revealing of the man than what he said about that poor woman's teeth. That was an unfortunate thing to say or do and I am certain he'd like to take those words back.

Last, you can be sure that there was puh-lenty of input regarding the show's treatment from the broadcasting executives. As someone else said above the best way to get more programming that's of interest to us riders is not to pick on a ton of little shit here on the Internets.

jmo.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #77
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagred View Post
I'm going to say my bit, and then duck and run for cover.

LIGHTEN UP folks and THINK before you gripe.

I don't have cable TV at home, but this week I was in a hotel room flipping through the channels and saw riders on bikes. SWEET! So I dropped the remote and watched. I only saw about the last 30 minutes of the episode where the lady had to ride in the truck because of a busted foot.

This is just a group of people like me, who love to ride. The only difference is... they have enough money to afford a trip that I can't afford. And because TV cameras are around, everybody ends up being stiff and self-conscious. Sure producers try to create and manufacture a little drama. That's what producers do.

But let's be honest. The "motorcycle TV watching market" in america is not exactly huge. If we act like snobs and don't support the stuff they make specifically for US... then guess what... they won't bother to make more stuff for us. It is all about the money. Who can get viewers and advertising dollars.

Be overly critical and unsupportive of the market's attempts to create motorcycle programming, and there won't be more attempts to make motorcycle programming.

ALL right... I'm done acting like a "know-it-all". Isn't it ironic that I'm being critical of others being critical.

It was a bit hokey, fake drama, and some other nonsense. But keep in mind that they need to appeal to the widest possible audience. This is what research has shown works!

It is not made for the few who actually ride off road, but for the many who do not.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #78
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Not from that clip they are not. That clip is indeed despicable but it is also clearly not from this show's ride. The people, gear and bikes are not what are seen in the BMW sponsored show.

As to the show, I guess I am able to separate the silliness from the cool stuff. There is a fair amount of cool stuff to see. In a strange way, I also kind of enjoy watching 3 VERY privileged people coping with this. They just don't have the same view of the world as I do and it is like watching a dog that is seeing snow for the first time. They poke and prod and don't know what to make of any of it. They are pretty clueless and that is part of what makes the show entertaining.

The riding is indeed fun to watch. South America is VERY different than what we here here in the US. It reminds me of my own trip to Chile and Argentina and makes me want to go back. I couldn't afford the accommodations they have but again, I can overlook that on TV.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #79
Velocifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I work at making documentaries that people are interested in, and that are hopefully informative.
Ive watched two episodes of this show. To me, this is basically a "reality" show. There is nothing about these people to make me moderately interested in their personalities or exploits. It's the human stories that most people find interesting.
This ain't it. I do like to see motorcycles zooming around, though !
Old 06-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #80
rocketman1098S
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagred View Post
I'm going to say my bit, and then duck and run for cover.

LIGHTEN UP folks and THINK before you gripe.

I don't have cable TV at home, but this week I was in a hotel room flipping through the channels and saw riders on bikes. SWEET! So I dropped the remote and watched. I only saw about the last 30 minutes of the episode where the lady had to ride in the truck because of a busted foot.

This is just a group of people like me, who love to ride. The only difference is... they have enough money to afford a trip that I can't afford. And because TV cameras are around, everybody ends up being stiff and self-conscious. Sure producers try to create and manufacture a little drama. That's what producers do.

But let's be honest. The "motorcycle TV watching market" in america is not exactly huge. If we act like snobs and don't support the stuff they make specifically for US... then guess what... they won't bother to make more stuff for us. It is all about the money. Who can get viewers and advertising dollars.

Be overly critical and unsupportive of the market's attempts to create motorcycle programming, and there won't be more attempts to make motorcycle programming.

ALL right... I'm done acting like a "know-it-all". Isn't it ironic that I'm being critical of others being critical.
I agree with the above, but wow...what a tough crowd otherwise! Lol... I watched the whole series and really liked it. However, I too count Neale as a friend. I went to the "premier" party and knew a little bit more of the background premise. The project was put together on a relative shoestring budget. It was never intended as a How-to ride of Peru. Even the title "Moto Cause: Neale Bayly Rides" should let you know. The series was intended to attempt to reach a larger audience than just hard core adventure riders. The hope was to entertain present riders, interest non-riders in our sport, intrigue casual riders to raise the bar for themselves to ride at higher/more varied levels, and probably the greatest was to raise interest and benefit his most loved cause.., the Hogar Belen Orphanage in Moquegua.
There is some merit to lots of what has been stated in this thread. The challenge of distilling days down to three hours of viewing must be horrendous, but to try to do so in such a manner as to reach the maximum audience.....I can't imagine. Again, I really liked it. I felt it was artfully woven of multiple layers of diverse personalities, adventure motorcycling, and a worthy charitable cause. The show and its surrounding social media, and other, exposure has generated thousands of dollars for the orphans of Hogar Belen.
Would I like to see a hard-core, technical, adv, motorcycle show. Absolutely! Shoot some positive feedback to SPEED, and include those thoughts.

http://www.speedtv.com/feedback

Or, check out the organization that Neale founded. Maybe donate a buck or two!

WELLSPRING INTERNATIONAL OUTREACH

http://wellspring-outreach.org/people.html

I will now put my soapbox back into storage........
rocketman1098S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #81
otto
UAW

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingby View Post
I couldn't watch. Everytime it came on, I kept seeing that guy (don't know which one) with that goofy looking blue fringy toque on. That one small thing drove me to change the channel everytime. Petty I know, but is got under my skin for some reason.

If I got any further, I am sure there were numerous other irritating elements to this show.

Funny how one small item (and really a meaningless one) had me change the channel. I wonder if producers see those types of issues when they put the shows together?? I stopped me from watching.
That "Fashion Statement" had me looking for the barf bag.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #82
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 529
Has basically been said, but can't hurt to add my three cents.

This whole thread weirds me out. Don't have cable TV but if we did I still probably wouldn't watch this show. If I did, I wouldn't come on a site dedicated to riding motorcycles and bitch about it. Nobody sat down and said "you know who we should make a TV show for? Those guys on advrider.com!!!!! I know they don't ride motorcycles anyway so maybe they'd like to watch other people do it"

If you don't like what these people put together for you to watch... don't watch it?

All of you that came into this thread and complained about Morgan Bayfield Rides Ponies or whatever it is called should reflect on the fact that if your butt hadn't been planted on the couch watching TV, you could have had your butt planted on a motorcycle, riding somewhere. Maybe to an orphanage? Maybe to starbux, who gives a crap. Stop bitching, start riding.

Rant off.
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #83
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
That "Fashion Statement" had me looking for the barf bag.
That guy, the "Whiskey Priest", looked like a doof with that stupid thing on his head. WTF was up with all of his crying? I guess he is the sensitive one with the goatee...

Hope he doesn't read all of the criticism here. He might cry himself to sleep tonight on his huge pillow.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #84
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,863
>"WTF was up with all of his crying?"

They thought he had 'altitude sickness'... it was over 14K feet up on the plateau.
I dunno, I haven't ridden a motorcycle at that altitude... (and probably never will).

I did think the last episode was ok though...

A number of years ago I set up 15 surplus pc's to go down to a native school in Honduras.
Later on I went down to visit the school... and the atmosphere was pretty much like the orphanage.

School kids was singing songs, speeches, kids made gifts for us, party.
IMHO: pretty fn' amazing... it was just like being in a movie (or a TV series).
Old 06-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #85
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I would rather have made a program that 10% loved, than 90% thought was ok.

I suffered through the 1st epp, missed the 2nd and watched 45 mins of the 3rd.

So, how did it end?
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #86
kingby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by operose View Post
Has basically been said, but can't hurt to add my three cents.

This whole thread weirds me out. Don't have cable TV but if we did I still probably wouldn't watch this show. If I did, I wouldn't come on a site dedicated to riding motorcycles and bitch about it. Nobody sat down and said "you know who we should make a TV show for? Those guys on advrider.com!!!!! I know they don't ride motorcycles anyway so maybe they'd like to watch other people do it"

If you don't like what these people put together for you to watch... don't watch it?

All of you that came into this thread and complained about Morgan Bayfield Rides Ponies or whatever it is called should reflect on the fact that if your butt hadn't been planted on the couch watching TV, you could have had your butt planted on a motorcycle, riding somewhere. Maybe to an orphanage? Maybe to starbux, who gives a crap. Stop bitching, start riding.

Rant off.
Said the dude tapping away on a keyboard
kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:40 AM   #87
Martin_404
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingby View Post
Said the dude tapping away on a keyboard
That's not fair. His bitching is totally different from ours.
Martin_404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #88
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,943
Am I the only one who thinks it's ironic that 4 rich white people rode very expensive motorbike to an orphanage in Peru and delivered a single laptop (and did a little bit of work)

My God, could they have more friggin' drama....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #89
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 809
Changing the channel because somebody is wearing an offensive head garment????? Wow. how intolerant have we become these days.

Sometimes you have to spend money on something like this to create awareness and generate donations. Did all of you complain when Jerry Lewis did his telethon? Get over yourself and enjoy the show and kick in a few bucks for those poor people.
seatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #90
Martin_404
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatec View Post
Changing the channel because somebody is wearing an offensive head garment????? Wow. how intolerant have we become these days.
I think that anyone who wears that on his head, schould lose his right to vote ..... and I'm from Holland.

Martin_404 screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 01:01 PM
Martin_404 is offline   Reply With Quote