Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #391
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Mine has 3000 miles on it now... I didn't expect the mileage to be this good. Maybe it will go down when I add luggage, I hope not...
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #392
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post
I just checked, it's set to US mpg...
Then it makes no sense to me. I averaged 54mpg on my last trip which was everything but hooligan riding. Quick, but no hard acceleration or even fast straight rides.

If you say you reach 60mpg(US) when riding like a hooligan, something in the calculation is off. Have you checked it at the pump by calculating it yourself?

In UK gallons it makes sense and is in line of what others report.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #393
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,082
Quote:
I cannot believe this bike!!!

I get 58-63 mpg even when riding like a Hooligan! I am at a higher altitude, so that helps... Still pleasantly surprised though!
How many tanks have gone through to establish this 58-63mpg estimate?

I am at 55.7mpg avg. through 72 fill ups. My best was 59.5 and I am -3 in the back. Even at altitude 58mpg is not happening while riding like a "Hooligan" unless hooligan means something different to you. Under ideal conditions for the whole tank I could see 63mpg happening but you have to be riding with the intent on getting good mpg or just get stuck with a killer tail wind for a long period with little decel/accel.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #394
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Under ideal conditions for the whole tank I could see 63mpg happening but you have to be riding with the intent on getting good mpg or just get stuck with a killer tail wind for a long period with little decel/accel.
I have seen 58mpg on a tank when I was mainly rolling downhill at low and constant speed. The best I have ever seen on the Tiger was 61mpg and that was literally rolling downhill at constant speed with a tail wind from Carson City to Mono Lake and I filled up with just 89 miles on the clock - so there is room for error.

I can't believe the 58 to 63 being accurate. I can even hardly believe your 55mpg average if that is US gallons.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #395
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

I can't believe the 58 to 63 being accurate. I can even hardly believe your 55mpg average if that is US gallons.
Well, I am filling from a pump in the US so I assume they are selling by the US gallon. I've checked my odometer vs. GPS and it's less than 1% off. I don't really pay attention to the avg. mpg displayed on the computer but i know it reads low by one 1-2mpg the few times I have looked at it before resetting .

I'll often see an instant display of >65mpg while on the highway cruising at less than 70mph when I have a good tail wind or am catching a slight draft from a truck in front of me. I've actually seen >70mpg while >70mph when I have had a super strong tail wind.

Like I said though, I am -3 in the back and that made a small difference before/after changing the gearing.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #396
cug
--

Quote:
Like I said though, I am -3 in the back and that made a small difference before/after changing the gearing.
It could make a difference, yes. Especially if you often ride longer distances.

I can see the 55mpg average given no ethanol gas, the different drive ratio, and a careful driver with a driving pattern that's good for mileage. I can't see the average going higher though.

Regarding the instant mileage, I have seen ridiculous numbers there, especially on trips like through Yosemite, where the average speed is 35 to 45 mph, and coming from Mono Lake going West it's only a short climb and than pretty much downhill or flat all the way home for me. But even there I never got better than 4L/100km for a full tank which is about 59mpg. And that's a not easy to repeat event as I somehow need to get to that "top of the hill" to roll back down again.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #397
Timothy Blomquist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
My 2012 Tiger 800XC has Touratech Zega Pro Side Cases and Top Case, so there's plenty of wind resistance. I also have a MadStad 22 inch adventure winshield as well. Running between 65-70 MPH my average miles per gallon ranges between 50-55 mpg. Out here in New Mexico we have lots of wind during the day and facing a headwind drops the MPG to between 45-50 MPG, and less.

I'm sure size of the rider will have an effect as well. I 'm 6 ft 3 and weigh 230 lbs.

My Tiger has about 4100 miles on it so far.
1972 Honda CT70HK1 -Restored (orginal owner)
Timothy Blomquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #398
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
How many tanks have gone through to establish this 58-63mpg estimate?

I am at 55.7mpg avg. through 72 fill ups. My best was 59.5 and I am -3 in the back. Even at altitude 58mpg is not happening while riding like a "Hooligan" unless hooligan means something different to you. Under ideal conditions for the whole tank I could see 63mpg happening but you have to be riding with the intent on getting good mpg or just get stuck with a killer tail wind for a long period with little decel/accel.
I don't ride like a Hooligan ALL day, just here and there... The one day I rode it semi-hard all day I averaged something like 51-52 mpg. I hand calculated it two weeks ago on the way to Denver and back, 60mpg... So... yeah "Hooligan" likely is mellower for me than you, but I am tickled with the fuel mileage so far.

Everybody I've talked to with an aftermarket pipe and mapping gets poor mileage compared to stock, have you modified yours?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #399
cug
--

Stock mapping here. Aftermarket exhaust yes, but no change in consumption to the OEM exhaust.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #400
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I average 45 mph in the city running the nuts off of it, and averaged 51 on my last trip. Yes, that's U.S. mpg. I have no doubt it I rode it with any level of sanity on a trip it could hit closer to mid 50's.

One thing to note is the mileage got considerably better once it really broke in, upwards of 6000 miles. Also not coincidentally I'm sure, the latest map is producing my best mileage yet.
This has been my experience too, however, I don't believe my dealer changed the map when it went in for turn signal replacement.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #401
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
This has been my experience too, however, I don't believe my dealer changed the map when it went in for turn signal replacement.
Neither did mine. I did it myself!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #402
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
You likely have it set to the UK gallons. The computer lets you set "mpg" and "mpg (US)" if I recall that correctly.
Okay... I must have had it on NON-US gallons... I scrolled through the "menu" and it said US... But today while flogging the hell out of it, my avg mpg said 53... Usually said about 60+...

CUG, I stand corrected. I have hand checked it once, got 60+ but wasn't flogging it...
Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #403
cug
--

Quote:
CUG, I stand corrected. I have hand checked it once, got 60+ but wasn't flogging it...
Interesting. I've seen that a few times that the computer was on something the person owning it wasn't expecting. Not that this is something new with computers, but it shows that a) set up from the dealers seems to be lacking and b) the computer isn't really obvious in what it's showing.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #404
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,503
Oh, and for the record, my mileage calculations were done by hand and not the on-board computer.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #405
cug
--

I track consumption since I got the bike - it's around 49mpg (US) over the last 10,000 miles. I track in L/100km therefore no confusion about "what gallons" or "what miles".