Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #17491
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
I also don't like it very much that we have such a monster thread. Would very much prefer an area for Triumph bikes.

But using the Google-foo really helps, type this into Google search field:

site:advrider.com inurl:t=599070 Tiger XC risers on Roadie

and you get some pretty good results quickly. If you're on the Mac you can also use LaunchBar to pre-define a search that already specifies advrider.com and the thread itself, then you only need to type the search term.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #17492
theDub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I also don't like it very much that we have such a monster thread. Would very much prefer an area for Triumph bikes.

But using the Google-foo really helps, type this into Google search field:

site:advrider.com inurl:t=599070 Tiger XC risers on Roadie

and you get some pretty good results quickly. If you're on the Mac you can also use LaunchBar to pre-define a search that already specifies advrider.com and the thread itself, then you only need to type the search term.
Yeah, I read the sticky on the google tricks to search specific threads, etc.

The problem with that (for me) is that I don't use the forum default of 15 posts per page. I use 100 posts per page because I don't like having to load the next page after reading just 15 posts in a long thread. Therefore the google results always send me to the wrong page. (My Tiger 800 thread is only 175 pages long instead of 1,166)
theDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #17493
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
if i use wd-40 its followed by a wire brush to clean and get rid of rust. this would help your flinging issue.
I'll give it a try. thanks

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #17494
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDub View Post
The problem with that (for me) is that I don't use the forum default of 15 posts per page. I use 100 posts per page because I don't like having to load the next page after reading just 15 posts in a long thread. Therefore the google results always send me to the wrong page. (My Tiger 800 thread is only 175 pages long instead of 1,166)
Ah, getting fancy. Easy solution: use a different browser (or switch your browser to "private" mode) for the search so that your log in cookie isn't sent. That means you get forum defaults for the search links. After that you can use the post id.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #17495
theDub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Ah, getting fancy. Easy solution: use a different browser (or switch your browser to "private" mode) for the search so that your log in cookie isn't sent. That means you get forum defaults for the search links. After that you can use the post id.
That's a good tip.
theDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #17496
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Easier solution would be a sub forum.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #17497
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
But that's not something you can do yourself today.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #17498
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/

dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #17499
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Not if you disagree with their moderation policy - like deleting posts if they don't like the (valid) arguments you made. Not my cup of tea.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #17500
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,143
Quote:
Not if you disagree with their moderation policy - like deleting posts if they don't like the (valid) arguments you made. Not my cup of tea.
Interesting. Care to expand? Obviously, I haven't read those posts over there...

Bit of on-topic: Called a local dealer. They know nothing about fuel lines disconnecting, but there are two outstanding recalls on my bike, one for the centerstand bumper and one for the shifter return spring.

So here's a stupid question: I registered on the Triumph website. They have my VIN. Why couldn't they tell me about outstanding recalls?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #17501
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDub View Post
I'm pretty good an interneting, and I find it nearly impossible to find exactly what you are looking for in the vast vastness that is this thread. Do the mods just merge every new thread about the Tiger into this enormous one? I would argue that it would make it much easier to find the information you are seeking using the forum's search feature if they just left each new thread to exist on it's own.
I've sent the mods a message asking for a Triumph area on the forum similar to the BMW one with its "Parallel universe" and stuff but they just seem to ignore it. If more people asked they might take notice.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #17502
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Interesting. Care to expand? Obviously, I haven't read those posts over there...

Bit of on-topic: Called a local dealer. They know nothing about fuel lines disconnecting, but there are two outstanding recalls on my bike, one for the centerstand bumper and one for the shifter return spring.

So here's a stupid question: I registered on the Triumph website. They have my VIN. Why couldn't they tell me about outstanding recalls?
I don't know how the website works but my dealer calls me to schedule the recall appointments...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #17503
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Yeah, I'm not a mileage squeezer. I'll usually install new tires for an upcoming ride or event when they get to about an eighth inch of tread left.
Yeah, I tend to replace tires long before some people think they're done too. If the center tread is no longer visible, it's considerably too late in my book. My point was that the Full Bore rear will take a surprisingly long time to go from that "hmm, going to have to replace it soon" point to actually needing to be replaced.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #17504
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,255
Quote:
I've gotten a recall notice, on a different Triumph model, via mail.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #17505
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:

Used to be even easier as they had a VIN page that anyone could use to check. Triumph withdrew that about 18 months or so ago.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote