Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #24106
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
Yo riders. DR.Z is stuck in Pensacola in the woody wagon and needs some assistance ASAP. Text me for his info! 850 two two eight one eight one two
I got this.

Going to pick him and his family up now.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #24107
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer: 272
anyone riding on Sat? got a new 690 i would like try out! the guy who bought my old bike is gonna ride up from pcola to explore BW so thats 2 already...

Just_P_Dirty screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 07:58 PM
Just_P_Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #24108
Shadrick
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Not sure if this is the proper place for an introduction, but I am new around here and wanted to say hello. I am also new to the Ft. Walton Beach area, and have ridden street bikes for years...mostly Buells and Harleys. The roads here are terribly boring to me, so I've decided to venture into the dirt world. Neither my Harley or Ducati are worth a penny off pavement. Therefore, I sold the Hypermotard to get something more dual purpose so that I can explore the range and local forests.

With all that said, I am used to powerful bikes, but a n00b when it comes to offroad on 2 wheels. I am also unfamiliar with what is beyond the pavement in this area (except for your all's pics.) I was hoping you guys could share some insight on what types of bikes are best suitable for the area. I want something street legal, and preferably fuel injected since I've never owned a carbed bike.

So far I have shopped a KTM 690 Enduro R, DRZ400s/sm(not FI), 250 enduros, various supermotos, and even a triumph scrambler that i would put on a diet and add knobbies. Price isnt a huge issue, but the better deal I can get on a bike, the more leftover cash I'll have for necessary mods. :)

I appreciate any advice/input and hope to get to ride with you all in the near future.
Shadrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #24109
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,089
welcome shadrick
you need to ride a true blue dirtbike first, IMHO. Get a feel for riding dirt before you go throwing down a chunk of change on something like a 690. see if you can sweet talk someone into letting you ride their dirtbike. stay away from two strokes til you have a feeling for dirt. tire pressure is important in the dirt, as is suspension setup.

a little anecdote:

my buddy was in the same boat, rode a 636 as his daily driver for years, alot of the time up on one wheel. I convinced him to come to the dirt side, but he is one that has to have the biggest and baddest, he went out and bought a 690 and it threw him like a wild mustang here and there and everywhere and made it not fun at all for him. eventually he broke his wrist and sold it. now he owns a much smaller DS and loves it.

you will fall - spend money on a good set of MX boots, some $20 kneepads, long socks, riding gloves, and full face mx helmet/goggles.

if you stick to it, once you get your sand legs you'll come to love the dirt and wonder why anyone rides the street, when given the choice.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #24110
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,957
Welcome to the PAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrick View Post
Not sure if this is the proper place for an introduction, but I am new around here and wanted to say hello.
I appreciate any advice/input and hope to get to ride with you all in the near future.
This is the right place. And welcome aboard!

I might suggest you review Post #2 for some basics on places and types of rides.

Several of the locals have some great bikes for sale right now. There are several KTMs and a 450 Husky that are dirt ready. All street legal of course but still dirt oriented - These bikes you truck/trailer to the riding area and THEN ride.

Also some good DS bikes for the real Adventure Rider spirit of riding and exploring on the same bike. These are more street that you CAN ride off road.

Sounds like you have the street covered.

Dirt riding right now is HOT - unless you catch some rain. So keep an eye out for rides after rain showers...

I live in FWB also so hit me up when you get ready to tackle the sand and Eglin!

Edit : What Hatch said also! Good advice.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #24111
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer: 272
the 690 i bought is my 4th dirt bike. i too started small and light. it helps especially when you have to pick them up. i ride mine to work also so i got used to handling a bigger bike and slowing down a bit as a trade off for riding on the street. i like to ride to work and wanted to be ablle to cruise at 80 for 15 miles straight fighting mornin traffic. going to ride to work tomorrow for the first time. i also like ktms because i saw one that hit a tree head on at high speed, laid on its side for about 30 mins and i picked it up, started right up and i rode it out of the woods. the rider was airlifted to a hospital...
Old 06-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #24112
rotorhead511
Live and let live.

Oddometer: 475
Welcome Shadrick

Great bunch of guys here.

I started riding dirt bikes with these FF's about 1 1/2 years ago and it's been a blast. I've learned a lot and everyone keeps track of everyone. There is great riding to be had in the area.

Sent you a PM in regards to a bike for sale.
'89 Honda Transalp XL600V
rotorhead511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #24113
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,916
+1 hatch. I can attest to the 690 being a bad first dirtbike... it is a real learner bike though cause it'll learn ya
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #24114
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
I plan on starting a RR thread in the next week for a ride up to the Arctic Circle starting on the 10th of July. Figured its a good run in for the bike! Plan on tagging Sweden Norway and Finland! Going to camp along the way. The above mentioned countries have free roam laws where you can over night camp anywhere as long as your 250meters from a persons home! So ride till we need sleep, repeat. Tempted to hit a few of the ex soviet bloc countries on the way back down, but the way those Vodka fueled FF drive I have my reservation
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:18 AM   #24115
Shadrick
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the welcome and information guys. My riding style off-road will certainly be more relaxed and Adventure oriented since I enjoy taking in the outdoors. Camping is a favorite as well. I moved here from WV and KY, so I am definitely used to off-road riding up there. I used to race and hillclimb quads, so I am certain I will enjoy it on two wheels as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post

a little anecdote:

my buddy was in the same boat, rode a 636 as his daily driver for years, alot of the time up on one wheel. I convinced him to come to the dirt side, but he is one that has to have the biggest and baddest, he went out and bought a 690 and it threw him like a wild mustang here and there and everywhere and made it not fun at all for him. eventually he broke his wrist and sold it. now he owns a much smaller DS and loves it.

you will fall - spend money on a good set of MX boots, some $20 kneepads, long socks, riding gloves, and full face mx helmet/goggles.
HaHa, you pretty much described my riding style on the street and thought process. I went to the KTM page, and scrolled to the biggest motor I saw. I didnt really consider a 690 being too much bike since I've ridden 900-1250cc, but I didnt consider the weight difference and vastly different terrain either. I never considered falling often either...but I'm big on wearing gear. I even wear a fullface on my vrod muscle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead511 View Post

Sent you a PM in regards to a bike for sale.
I didnt received it, unless you have a different screen name on here.

I think i'll definitely start off with something smaller and/or used, but I have a few months to think about it and read up on everything while I'm vacationing over here in Crapghanistan.
Thanks again for the welcome.
Shadrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #24116
papa wheelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrick View Post
Not sure if this is the proper place for an introduction, but I am new around here and wanted to say hello. I am also new to the Ft. Walton Beach area, and have ridden street bikes for years...mostly Buells and Harleys. The roads here are terribly boring to me, so I've decided to venture into the dirt world. Neither my Harley or Ducati are worth a penny off pavement. Therefore, I sold the Hypermotard to get something more dual purpose so that I can explore the range and local forests.

With all that said, I am used to powerful bikes, but a n00b when it comes to offroad on 2 wheels. I am also unfamiliar with what is beyond the pavement in this area (except for your all's pics.) I was hoping you guys could share some insight on what types of bikes are best suitable for the area. I want something street legal, and preferably fuel injected since I've never owned a carbed bike.

So far I have shopped a KTM 690 Enduro R, DRZ400s/sm(not FI), 250 enduros, various supermotos, and even a triumph scrambler that i would put on a diet and add knobbies. Price isnt a huge issue, but the better deal I can get on a bike, the more leftover cash I'll have for necessary mods. :)

I know where there is a 09 ktm 530 exc 400 miles like new with a lot of extras cheap!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #24117
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
I got this.

Going to pick him and his family up now.

Thanks for the help buddy! The new water pump and the gutted thermostat did the trick.

Got back home about an hour ago.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #24118
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_P_Dirty View Post
anyone riding on Sat? got a new 690 i would like try out! the guy who bought my old bike is gonna ride up from pcola to explore BW so thats 2 already...
Dirty,
I just made a purchase of a 690 R myself. I am in Mobile. I pick it up next week from Pelham, AL. Just sold my T800 XC. I am going to break her in after I take the wife on vacation in another week. Can't wait!
Old 06-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #24119
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_P_Dirty View Post
No plans yet but if you want company we can try and ride somewhere. Remember its hot as hell out there and Im an old man!

I love it when folks get new scoots....

Burmbuster - you need to get over here and ride BW with us.

Same for you ROB... I know a lot more about BW now!

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #24120
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
No plans yet but if you want company we can try and ride somewhere. Remember its hot as hell out there and Im an old man!

I love it when folks get new scoots....

Burmbuster - you need to get over here and ride BW with us.

Same for you ROB... I know a lot more about BW now!
I look forward to it. I will be checkin in on rides with you guys as soon as we get back from Mickey Mouse Land.