Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #796
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by satur9 View Post
53 pages and I couldnt find (see) the answer to my question.how does a us (30) attach to overlander 30.does 1 set of rackloops handle the side bags and half of the top.do two sets of alloy buckles fit in one rackloop. And could the "daisy. Chain" lower mount be shone a. Little better.i understand it wraps around frame or I footpeg or I so but the buckle part. (Is this alloy) and ladder is what im curious about.
Hi mate,

Basically; yeah. On a bike without a passenger seat or rear rack, any US pack can be attached by hooking the Alloy Hooks into the 4 x Rack Loops that are supplied with the Overlander 30 (or available to purchase separately if you don't have / need the OV30). Two of the Rack Loops which support the Overlander 30 are used, along with the other two, which can be placed as desired. the US packs attach to the bike, as opposed to the Overlander 30. Same principal as shown here:

Rack Loops in a configuration that could accept the Overlander 30 and / or US tail packs:

US pack attached to those Rack Loops:

Same arrangement with the Overlander 30 hooked up:

I don't have any more detailed close-ups of the lower daisy-chain strap than this right now:

... But it is a double-layer of heavy duty 1" webbing with loops spaced evenly down it, and an alloy hook, which bolts to the lower corner of the pack. The webbing is then passed around any suitable mounting point and hooked on at the loop which provides the ideal tension.

I hope that makes sense, but please feel free to let me know if you need any more detail.

All the best,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #797
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
I don't have any more detailed close-ups of the lower daisy-chain strap than this right now:
traveltoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #798
pinevalley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Eliminate some rubbing...

Kriega rash - well ok...it is not really a rash.

Im getting some rubbing from the aluminum buttons that hold the straps onto the Overlander 30. I got the same rash from the GL, but these seem to be much deeper as there is focal pressure. I was not really worried about this as is it dirty most of the time and rear fenders are disposable and cheap, but I just installed a rear Safari tank and was not too keen on the aluminum button rubbing on the tank (photos here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=857)

So...my intent in bringing this up is not to whine, but to present a potential solution to share:

My rash:

My button:

My solution:

I had some left over rubber laying around. Punched two holes and scored the center with a razor blade - essentially making a dog bone shaped cut out.

I have not tested this solution yet so there might be flaws, but I though I would pass this information around to others who might me concerned about the rubbing caused by the aluminum buttons.

pinevalley
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #799
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,645
Nice solution pinevalley!
traveltoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #800
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Thanks

I wanted to pass along a big thanks to Michael and Kriega USA for their generous support of the Westfest ADVrider Rally in Buena Vista, CO in Auguest.

Michael sent a bunch of Kriega products to be given away at the raffle and I just got the stuff in, and all of it blew me away with the quality and how well thought out it was. But I really like the Hydro Pack!! I have been using camelback stuff for years, but it seems it is always been much more focused for Bicycle or Hiking and some of the features do not work when you are using it for Moto stuff. In addition, it is great to see drinking systems that are made by motorcycle riders and profits are not going towards shutting down riding areas (sorry small rant, but over now)

Anyway thanks Michael for the support!!!

Ben
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #801
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinevalley View Post
Kriega rash - well ok...it is not really a rash.

Im getting some rubbing from the aluminum buttons that hold the straps onto the Overlander 30. I got the same rash from the GL, but these seem to be much deeper as there is focal pressure. I was not really worried about this as is it dirty most of the time and rear fenders are disposable and cheap, but I just installed a rear Safari tank and was not too keen on the aluminum button rubbing on the tank (photos here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=857)

So...my intent in bringing this up is not to whine, but to present a potential solution to share:

My rash:

My button:

My solution:

I had some left over rubber laying around. Punched two holes and scored the center with a razor blade - essentially making a dog bone shaped cut out.

I have not tested this solution yet so there might be flaws, but I though I would pass this information around to others who might me concerned about the rubbing caused by the aluminum buttons.

pinevalley
Hi mate,

Like teaveltoad said; nice solution. That's just one of the things I love about folk on this forum - rather than moan about an issue, the vast majority just go ahead and figure out a way to negate it.

Obviously the rear Safari tanks significantly change the layout of the bike and a standard fit (where the fasteners do not contact with the bodywork) for the Overlander 30 could become less likely. That said, I reckon it could well be possible to do away with the carabiners / additional straps etc you have there and raise the bags up some, so that the top fasteners sit clear of the plastics. Might also be able to do something with the lower fastener by wrapping the daisy chain around the frame behind the panel in front of where it's currently attached.

If you want to PM me over more detailed photos, I'd be happy to check em over and see if I can make any solid suggestions. But no worries, if you've been through the options and believe you have the best custom set-up available.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #802
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
I wanted to pass along a big thanks to Michael and Kriega USA for their generous support of the Westfest ADVrider Rally in Buena Vista, CO in Auguest.

Michael sent a bunch of Kriega products to be given away at the raffle and I just got the stuff in, and all of it blew me away with the quality and how well thought out it was. But I really like the Hydro Pack!! I have been using camelback stuff for years, but it seems it is always been much more focused for Bicycle or Hiking and some of the features do not work when you are using it for Moto stuff. In addition, it is great to see drinking systems that are made by motorcycle riders and profits are not going towards shutting down riding areas (sorry small rant, but over now)

Anyway thanks Michael for the support!!!

Ben
De nada, bro!

Always happy to give back to this amazing community of brilliant, adventurous crack-pots!

Glad you like the gear. Drop me a line when you're ready to pull the trigger on the Hydro-3 (no trails were harmed in the production or sale of this pack! ).

Have a good 'un!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #803
boxerkuh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Question Help a poor man out....

Mike, a very limited Airhead budget. Looking for a used but still serviceable US 20 to use as a tailbag. A US 10 could also work and a US 5 would be a bonus. Do you have anything used flying around? Would love to take it for your hands reasonably.... BTW working on killing the R25 Backpack and can't do it... but I will keep trying.
boxerkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #804
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post

Michael sent a bunch of Kriega products to be given away at the raffle and I just got the stuff in, and all of it blew me away with the quality and how well thought out it was.
My reaction as well when I opened my package. Kriega is serious stuff.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #805
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Drop me a line when you're ready to pull the trigger on the Hydro-3
Do it, you won't be sorry!
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #806
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerkuh View Post
Mike, a very limited Airhead budget. Looking for a used but still serviceable US 20 to use as a tailbag. A US 10 could also work and a US 5 would be a bonus. Do you have anything used flying around? Would love to take it for your hands reasonably.... BTW working on killing the R25 Backpack and can't do it... but I will keep trying.
Rule #1

The cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider!

Cheers
Old 07-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #807
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
pack adjustment

I've landed back in Thailand with bike and Kriega bits and starting to get everything sorted. Since I'm short I've adjusted the R20 pack shoulder straps to differing positions suited up in my armor to determine the best fit.

When adjusting the shoulder strap to a spot that has the three dots on the shoulder strap centered in the plastic buckle I end up with an extra loop of strap material that I cannot get the harness to "suck up" (for lack of a better word) and it just hangs in the breeze.

I have looked at the fitting guide on the Kriega website and have yanked, pulled, pushed and slammed the pack against the straps both from the bottom of the traditional pack adjusters and above the Kriega shoulder strap length adjusters in an attempt to get the harness to take up the slack all to no avail.

This slack is on both left and right shoulder straps. When adjusted with one or two dots centered in the buckle I had no issues with extra slack. Any insight?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #808
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
I believe you need to pull the main straps out of the bag some. If you open up the pocket where the bladder is, you will see the extra length of the straps in there.

I have mine sitting beside me which is adjusted to the 3 dots spot, so it is possible
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #809
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,136
Mike,
received the bladder for my R20 backpack and promptly ripped open the package and shoved it into the backpack. Fits great! Now I'm wondering what the clip is for on the inside. I thought for sure it was to hold the bladder up, but it looks like that is what the velcro is for.

Just curious, and thanks for the sticker

Oh, and FYI, this order still doesn't show under the "order status" link on your site. Looks like a glitch in the matrix.

Best
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #810
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post
I believe you need to pull the main straps out of the bag some. If you open up the pocket where the bladder is, you will see the extra length of the straps in there.

I have mine sitting beside me which is adjusted to the 3 dots spot, so it is possible

Thanks for the tip. Funnily enough no straps visible from the inside of my R15 pack/bladder compartment. Got it all figured out anyway and being a midget adjusted the straps as tight as they would go with only one dot.

Now off to try the kit in the field with the Overlander 30, R15, R3 and Cube pocket going for a couple day ride in 30 minutes.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote