ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Feetup_sideways OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
2 Stroke oil for Vintage MXers

Ok! I'm sure this has been covered here before but, I can't find a thing...
I am redoing a 1983 Honda Cr 480r. I have been out of the game some 40 years until a wild hair on the south side of the belt line bit. I have no idea what is the best 2 stroke oil to use once I finish this project and want to fire it up. Should I use a caster oil like Blenzall or some of the new synthetic type oils? I am really kind of at a loss here..
Feetup_sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
caryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Oh... There are lots of people that will share their wisdom.

Are you planning on trail riding or vintage racing?

Any pre mix oil will "work". I have a 1976 RD 400. I prefer synthetic but there are plenty of good Dino and blended products as well.

I mix at 32 to 40:1 in the RD with Yamalube R or Maxima products. I believe that's on the conservative side but I don't have enough miles on the motor for any definitive measure or evidence of scuffing outside of my "incident". I had a lose timing plate screw that caused a seizure in one cylinder. The ignition was too far advanced, melted the top of the piston and smeared melted piston all over the exhaust side of the piston and rings. I've since gone to an electronic ignition.

You may want to retard your ignition a few degrees to compensate for alcohol pump fuels or buy VP fuel products (I do). VP110 is common. Haven't tried any others.

I do rev the motor out a bit but no real opportunity to stress the motor for long periods at 3/4 or more open throttle conditions. Jetting is such that it runs clean at low to medium RPM at low to mid throttle position. It runs very well on the pipe, but I believe my main jets are still a little fat based on EGT indication at WOT. After 1000 miles the heads are clean but a little darker on the exhaust side. The piston tops are medium brown in color as are the plugs. The plugs are dry.

Once the motor is fully warmed it doesn't smoke too bad and there isn't a lot of oil collected in or around the exit.

Chuck
2003 Kawasaki KDX220R
1976 Yamaha RD400C
caryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,667
Belray two stroke mc-1 is a blend specifically for non-power valve motors. Not a castor based oil, so tons cleaner. Used it in an RT360 I had and it always burned clean as a whistle and never fouled a plug (at 40:1 ratio). Maxima makes a castor based that is also good, but a lot more messy and gummy.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
caryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
I use that oil because I like the smell (castor 927) and it goes along with the vintage character of the RD. I live in a warm climate so no mixing issues. It does require more attention, but the flash point is much higher and it's protection capabilities are on the high end of the scale.

For no fuss and same level of protection and clean for power valves I use Maxima K2. MC-1 is also a good oil. Maxima Super M is a less expensive option to 927, K2 or MC-1 and just like Yamalube R is more than adequate. Don't ask about mixing ratios. It will start a forum war. And for dog's sake don't try to use an injection or dual use oil for premix. Some people will have an aneurysm. They all work. Some just work better than others at particular things and you usually pay for that in the form of higher cost/oz.

Chuck
2003 Kawasaki KDX220R
1976 Yamaha RD400C
caryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
40 years of not riding and a CR480 ! Have fun but try not to hurt yourself. I would use AMSOIL and as for Ethanol your ignition is fine but you should rejet the carb.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Dukerdr
New old guy

Oddometer: 132
I haven't run a 2 stroke bike of any kind since, oh, about 1995.

I still had a couple of sealed bottles of Maxima Castor 927 on the shelf, so I broke into one a couple of years ago to make some pre-mix up for the only 2 strokes I have left....a blower, string trimmer and chain saw.

It smells great when I'm doing yard work! Just like I'm back on the start line at a Hare Scramble!

Seriously, I asked a Maxima Rep at the Dealer Trade Show (Cinncinati!) over 20 years ago a pertinent question. I asked him why the Castor 927 had Castor in it if synthetic is so great? He said don't worry, we just put enough in to smell good, not weaken the synthetic.

Good enough for me...

Dukerdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,503
old skool............ KLOTZ supertechniplate

Can be found at Dennis Kirk in gallon or smaller sizes. Smells like a day at the races............the races in 1985.

5punksdad screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 03:57 AM
5punksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
ABuck99

Oddometer: 487
Klotz +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5punksdad View Post
old skool............ KLOTZ supertechniplate

Can be found at Dennis Kirk in gallon or smaller sizes. Smells like a day at the races............the races in 1985.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Feetup_sideways OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thank you all for your input! I'm thinkin about going with the old Blendzall. I remember the smell of the old Flat Track days.
Feetup_sideways is offline   Reply With Quote