Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #46
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
An average advrider or stromtrooper is permanently confused by the chain lubing process, and you took him so far beyond that he is speechless. Compare the figures for views and responses.
Anyway, that is for sure the most in depth "maintenance and repair" thread in beasts, hats off to you, sir.

BTW, has you eliminated the vibration you mentioned earlier, and if so, what was the cause of it?
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #47
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
thanks for the comment.

I believe anyone with moderate mechanical skills could do something like this, most likely more proficiently than I. It does take a few tools that the average shade tree mechanic probably doesn't own. ( in my case a set of Neway valve seat cutters and a couple of reamers)
Then there is deciding to do it. It's much easier to decide to fix something that is collectable. Deciding to fix a crashed, worn V-strom is a little more difficult, weighing the desire and means to just buy something else.

Quote:
BTW, has you eliminated the vibration you mentioned earlier, and if so, what was the cause of it?
The engine is buttery smooth again, just like it was new. I haven't worked the engine too hard yet. In my 50 miles just a lot of speeding up and slowing down to break in the rings.

I don't know the cause of my engine vibration, but I suspect it was lower compression on the front cylinder from all the carbon build up. I cleaned out the second air reeds and those little chambers were completely packed with carbon crud. It's possible a valve was sticking or just not sealing properly from all the carbon build up.
robberst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #48
JCANRUN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Interesting thread. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #49
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I rode 500 engine break in miles this week.
I'll put a few more miles on this next week and do an oil/filter change.

There is really nothing noteworthy to say, good or bad. It runs like new.
I haven't had to add any oil in the 5-600 miles I've put on it this week. I guess that's noteworthy. It's been a long time since that's happened. Two tanks of gasoline, the first at 58mpg and the second 56.

Maybe there is one small thing: the idle speed is a bit irregular. If I set idle to 1400 rpm when hot, it idles at just over 1000 when cold. If i bump it up for cold idle, hot idle is high and wanders.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #50
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

2000 miles on the V-strom since the engine repairs.
Just a couple of observations.

there is no noticable oil loss.
my idle issue disappeared and it idles like it should
in the 4500-5500 RPM range it has a pretty strong vibration, especially with a big throttle opening.

This past weekend we went down to St Paul, MN for the anitique motorcycle club event and it was very windy. With the bike loaded for a weekend of camping, my wife on the pillion, and a stiff headwind, the vibration was especially bad. She didn't notice it at all, but it was enough to make my hands and feet tingly. (Not even my KTM640 does that) It's a pretty high frequency type of vibration, like the in-line 4 cylinder hondas I have ridden.

While my engine always has been like this, I think since I reassemble the engine, the vibration is more intense over a larger range of RPM.

Nevertheless, I'm happy with it. Looks like there will be many more miles to come.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #51
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by robberst View Post

in the 4500-5500 RPM range it has a pretty strong vibration, especially with a big throttle opening.
Weird, Wee is known for its smoothness.

I presume you did tps/tbs.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #52
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

If I'm honest. No

right before I diassemble the engine I had sync'd the throttle bodies and just a few thousand miles before all this I had to replace a failed throttle position sensor.

In my excitement to get it all back together.......I didn't recheck them. My thinking at the time was that I'd run it "as is" to the next servicing then do it.

I suppose I shouldn't complain about this stuff until I complete the job.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #53
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,864
Quote:
2000 miles on the V-strom since the engine repairs.
Just a couple of observations.

there is no noticable oil loss.
my idle issue disappeared and it idles like it should

This past weekend we went down to St Paul, MN for the anitique motorcycle club event and it was very windy. With the bike loaded for a weekend of camping, my wife on the pillion, and a stiff headwind, the vibration was especially bad. She didn't notice it at all, but it was enough to make my hands and feet tingly. (Not even my KTM640 does that) It's a pretty high frequency type of vibration, like the in-line 4 cylinder hondas I have ridden.

While my engine always has been like this, I think since I reassemble the engine, the vibration is more intense over a larger range of RPM.

Nevertheless, I'm happy with it. Looks like there will be many more miles to come.

My 2007 650 has a very narrow window where it vibes enough to be annoying. Interstate travel around 75mph. RPM range is 5600-5900.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #54
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well the poor old thing is still going

I have about 3000 miles on it now since it was reassembled.

I reported earlier, that I was having an annoying vibration in the 4500-5500 RPM range. After reading a couple threads about v-strom vibration here and elsewhere, I began to wonder if my engine mounts were causing it. As can be seen, I don't have crash bars or anything, but I did have the right side V mount off.

So I loosed and retorqued it and presto, the annoyance is gone. It does still have the usual rumble, but it no longer bothers my hands and feet.

Next week we are off on a trip to Montana, South Dakota and Wyoming.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #55
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The engine work from last winter was at 84,XXX miles.

This winter the V-strom is at 94,XXX miles. Just completed some winter maintenance. I checked the valve clearances again. They were right in the middle of the range....still. The cam chain tensioners look good. As far as I can tell, all looks well. I synchronized the throttle valves, changed oil and filters etc.

My big concern this winter was the rear suspension. It is getting pretty harsh. Now it's no surprise the suspension is failing, I haven't touched it since I got the bike new. The spring preload adjuster won't turn, nor will the damper adjustment screw. Even still, in my pea brain, I can't reason out how an old, heavily worn shock would cause a harsh ride over small bumps. It doesn't pack, bottom out easily. Not bouncy either. So I took the the rear suspension completely apart. I was thinking, all the bearings probably needed some attention anyway.

At some point in the past, I got a new endless drive chain from suzuki. At that time I took the swing arm axle out, twisted the swing arm a bit, fed the new chain through and while I had the axle out I cleaned and greased those roller bearings.
Every other roller bearing (all six of them) were completely seized, black, powdery and generally in very poor shape.

I very thoroughly cleaned them all and repacked them. (I would not recommend this to anyone, but my short sighted goal is 100,000 miles)

I Could recommend anyone with higher mileage that rides in the rain, gravel etc, to check out their rear cushion bearings.

I still don't know how this will help my harsh rear suspension since there is several feet of snow on the ground, but it could only help, huh?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #56
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Dl650

Quote:
My big concern this winter was the rear suspension. It is getting pretty harsh. Now it's no surprise the suspension is failing, I haven't touched it since I got the bike new. The spring preload adjuster won't turn, nor will the damper adjustment screw.
.... this I can vouch for .... if left alone for too long, they seize, but the fix is easy: on your next ride, turn the adjstor downwards - yes it will budge ! ... then turn the small screw.

the logic is once the oil inside is warmed up, they are again adjstable, unless your oil has run dry or evaporated. Mine was ok.

good story - thanks for the write up !
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #57
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for that. I'll give the shock adjusters a try after riding it.

I had considered sending it to racetech for a rebuild, but I suspect a 94k mile shock is probably trash. I'll keep an eye on it this summer. If all goes well I'll replace all the cushion lever bearings and get a shock.

I sold the KTM 640 last summer so the miles will be piling on faster.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #58
Palnut
Fly safely!

Oddometer: 2
Excellent writing & photos by the OP. I particularly enjoy his self-made tools, following the true spirit of both motorcyclists and NoDak farmers

Since you still have snow on the ground I highly recommend fixing your suspension before riding season, especially since you ride two-up. IMHO a well-sorted suspension is second only to adjusting control ergonomics, and adds heaps of enjoyment to both you and your Second Officer. Plenty of information here (search Thinstrom) and Cogent Dynamics' Rick can certainly help.

Last photo reminds me of the UND flight line.

Ride safe!

"Common sense isn't."
Palnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #59
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking

Ha! That is the UND flightline. I work out there as a mechanic and avionics tech.

I'm sure you are right about repairing the suspension. There is enough winter left for me to sort it out
Old 02-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #60
MarathonMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Shock Rebuild Option

This guys rebuilds the DL650 shock very economically.

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/vstromsection.html

I had mine done by him in the fall of 2013. I don't have a lot of miles on the rebuilt shock, but it was a definite improvement. Like Sasquatch used to do, he installs a port so it can easily be rebuilt in the future. I also had him install his proprietary cartridge emulators in the front forks, so a total solution.