ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
llsetter13 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Powering Garmin Oregon 450

i have a Garmin Oregon 450 that I use as my motorcycle GPS because of its versitility. I usually try to power it off the motorcycle but have been having issues with the power to the GPS unit cutting out randomly. at first it was wired with a standard car adapter plug that i had plugged into a powerlet adapter connected under the seat of my r1200gs. that was a pretty inconsistent power source and the GPS would "lose external power" intermittently and i would have to run it off battery power until it randomly came back on or i would have to turn off the bike and start it back up and hope that reset the external power or sometimes simply mess with the powerlet cable. since that wasn't working it was recommended to me to get the serial cable (http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Serial-...ire+power+cord). i purchased this cable and had it professionally wired so that whenever i turned on the key i had power going to the GPS unit. on my last trip the GPS was doing the same thing it did before and would randomly lose external power and have to run on battery.

does anybody know what is going on and how to fix it because its really annoying.

thanks in advance.
llsetter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,674
If you (also) have batteries installed, use a foam ear plug or something else pliable to prevent the batteries from rattling around in the battery compartment.

I ran my Oregon 450 connected to the Garmin car adapter plugged into a Powerlet cigarette lighter adapter on my BMW F800GS for more than 12000 miles with no issues after I put a foam ear plug in the battery compartment.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Try it w/o batteries which will change any sympathetic vibrations but it sounds more like the well known mini USB connector failure problem.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
llsetter13 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thanks

I'm trying the foam plug method currently but if that doesn't work I'll try with no batteries. If it is the mini USB port issue is there any way to fix that aside from replacing the unit? If I have to replace it that's fine, I bought it from REI so they will exchange it for a new one even years later.... Gotta love that.
llsetter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by llsetter13 View Post
I'm trying the foam plug method currently but if that doesn't work I'll try with no batteries. If it is the mini USB port issue is there any way to fix that aside from replacing the unit? If I have to replace it that's fine, I bought it from REI so they will exchange it for a new one even years later.... Gotta love that.
If you need to replace it switch to a 78 or a Montana for the superior power connection.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 1,026
Need Help With Showing Road Names

Hello, I have downed a couple of maps to install on my 450 and have a question about the road names showing up. I downloaded one topo from GPSfiledepot.com and a street map from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ Both maps are installed and show up on Basecamp and the Garmin. When I look at the maps on Basecamp the names of the fireroads I am interested in seeing show up fine. When I look at them on my Oregon 450, the roads show up, but the names do not.

Any idea what I am missing?

DAVE
He bought this bike with his own money as a "fixer upper" that he can ride and learn to wrench on. Part of owning is he will buy parts and wrench on it himself. We are going through it together and having fun! I am very proud of the young man he is becoming.
deeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeve View Post
When I look at them on my Oregon 450, the roads show up, but the names do not. Any idea what I am missing? DAVE
Don't know Oregon but others have "Detail" setting in Map setup.

You may want to check my setup instructions for 60/76 & 62/78 on

http://www.dualsportwest.com/Gps/GpsOverview

Many things are similar.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
deeve
DumbA$$

Will do! Thanks. I did increase the detail and that helped some. I'd say maybe half the roads had names on them now. I'll check out your page and see if it helps.
He bought this bike with his own money as a "fixer upper" that he can ride and learn to wrench on. Part of owning is he will buy parts and wrench on it himself. We are going through it together and having fun! I am very proud of the young man he is becoming.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
deeve
DumbA$$

Sadly, I think the limited road names is about as good as I am going to get. It seems odd that the Basecamp would show all the road names, but I cannot get the GPS to display them since they are obliviously in the map data.