ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #3961
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I think you'll want to avoid 1 in that area. I was at Pescadero a couple weeks ago and just north of it, it is down to 1 lane and was backed up a mile or so.

I also would advise against 92 up from Half Moon Bay- really dangerous with the weekend cager crew.

Literally a thousand ways to skin that cat, but it is up to personal preference and that ride is probably a total of less than 200 miles, but a good run to lunch after a late coffee.
I wanted to do longer but not sure if anyone/everyone would want to do that long of a ride... This one is not longer in miles but it is in time... bypasses that whole section of 1 that is closed... i took 1 last weekend and the blockage was way before La Honda.

Here's what it would look like.

Thanks for the tips though! When i took 92, it was mid day and all the traffic was going towards HMB so that's why i chose that route and not the other way around.. but thanks!

Edit: also, according to CalTrans, all road maintenance should be done by the end of the month!

Tried creating a link but it didn't show the proper info.. so here is the report from CalTrans

SR 1
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 9 MI NORTH OF LUCIA TO
4.3 MI SOUTH OF BIG SUR (MONTEREY CO) FROM 0800 HRS TO 1530 HRS TUESDAY THRU
THURSDAY THRU 6/27/13 - DUE TO MAINTENANCE - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF
UP TO 10 MINUTES

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 7.3 MI SOUTH TO 3.4 MI
SOUTH OF BIG SUR (MONTEREY CO) FROM 0930 HRS TO 1530 HRS ON 6/25/13 - DUE TO
MAINTENANCE - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO 10 MINUTES

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 10 MI NORTH TO 12 MI
NORTH OF BIG SUR (MONTEREY CO) FROM 0830 HRS TO 1530 HRS TUESDAY THRU THURSDAY
THRU 6/27/13 - DUE TO MAINTENANCE - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO
10 MINUTES

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC 13.4 MI NORTH OF BIG SUR /AT ROCKY CREEK RD/
(MONTEREY CO) FROM 0700 HRS TO 2100 HRS MONDAY THRU WEDNESDAY & 24 HRS A DAY
FROM 0700 HRS THURSDAY TO 2100 HRS SUNDAY THRU 9/1/13 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION
- MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO 10 MINUTES

[IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM MAIN ST TO LAKE ST
/IN POINT ARENA/ (MENDOCINO CO) FROM 0700 HRS TO 1600 HRS MONDAY THRU FRIDAY
THRU 6/28/13 - DUE TO PERMIT WORK

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC 2.4 MI NORTH OF ELK (MENDOCINO CO) - DUE TO A
SLIPOUT - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO 15 MINUTES

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC 1.5 MI NORTH OF THE EAST JCT OF SR 128
(MENDOCINO CO) FROM 0700 HRS TO 1700 HRS MONDAY THRU THURSDAY & FROM
0700 HRS TO 1300 HRS ON FRIDAY THRU 6/28/13 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION
- MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO 10 MINUTES

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 2.2 MI NORTH TO 4 MI
NORTH OF THE JCT OF SR 128 (MENDOCINO CO) 24 HRS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK THRU
0001 HRS ON 8/30/13 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

y0y02369 screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 02:24 PM Reason: also, according to CalTrans, all road maintenance should be done by the end of the month!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #3962
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,303
Good info. However, I have to note my cynicism towards anything presented from anything related to the CA gubment.

My unasked for philosophy on roads on the peninsula is that if it is a main thoroughfare in any way, I avoid it- especially on the weekend. Plus the more obscure the road, the more fun.

I usually don't post roads I take, based on fear of them getting cluttered, but that is probably a foregone conclusion these days. So, my last route was Patterson Pass- Mines- San Antonio Valley up and over Hamilton- worked my way to Black Road- 35 to Alice's- 84- Pescadero all the way to the coast.

I started up 1 and was going to take 84 (despite being too populated) for the ride home, but it was a mess, so I turned around and went back up to Pescadero- Alpine- Page Mill- and then just did 280 and over the San Mateo.

In my opinion, the only places 1 gets interesting is north of Bodega Bay, and way south of Big Sur where there isn't much in the way of traffic. Otherwise, too many cages.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #3963
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
I got a front wheel & stock seat (thx zeegman!) still looking for a stock 950/990 18" rear wheel, rubber or not, no worries! can be dented & scratched, as long as it can hold air, I want it... willing to pay!
wheel issue solved, at the moment (thanks Qwik!). still stripping a few last things off of it, looks like salvage will pick it up friday... then i pick up it's replacement (2010 990R from inmate) on sunday.

then re-doing 3 months of work putting everything taken off the old bike onto the new bike, and selling whatever's not needed.

thanks for the help, hopefully back on the road soon!
Old 06-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #3964
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Damn Kaia! Sorry to hear about all that. I hope you swapped over the Trailjammer Designs Exhaust Guard. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you. good luck on getting the new ride setup. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
wheel issue solved, at the moment (thanks Qwik!). still stripping a few last things off of it, looks like salvage will pick it up friday... then i pick up it's replacement (2010 990R from inmate) on sunday.

then re-doing 3 months of work putting everything taken off the old bike onto the new bike, and selling whatever's not needed.

thanks for the help, hopefully back on the road soon!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #3965
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Hey, anyone want to do an overnighter this weekend? I was thinking of a mainly road ride and possibly mild dirt roads in the mountains or the coast?

I need to get some miles on the pig now that my back is starting to heal up.

What are you riding? BMW MOA NorCal is doing their annual hoo ha up in the Sierras this weekend. Not really a dirt ride - more of a club get together with camping. But there will be an organized GS run Saturday morning on some sort of route lacking pavement. I'm going to stick a toe in and see what it's all about.
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #3966
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Good info. However, I have to note my cynicism towards anything presented from anything related to the CA gubment.

My unasked for philosophy on roads on the peninsula is that if it is a main thoroughfare in any way, I avoid it- especially on the weekend. Plus the more obscure the road, the more fun.

I usually don't post roads I take, based on fear of them getting cluttered, but that is probably a foregone conclusion these days. So, my last route was Patterson Pass- Mines- San Antonio Valley up and over Hamilton- worked my way to Black Road- 35 to Alice's- 84- Pescadero all the way to the coast.

I started up 1 and was going to take 84 (despite being too populated) for the ride home, but it was a mess, so I turned around and went back up to Pescadero- Alpine- Page Mill- and then just did 280 and over the San Mateo.

In my opinion, the only places 1 gets interesting is north of Bodega Bay, and way south of Big Sur where there isn't much in the way of traffic. Otherwise, too many cages.
Sounds like a hell of a ride as well! Honestly, the more suggestions the better. I set a route but am not particular to any given road. I dislike traffic as well but since I commute on my bike, I frankly I have just gotten used to traffic

I'm just looking for a ride with fellow riders!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #3967
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Sounds like a hell of a ride as well! Honestly, the more suggestions the better. I set a route but am not particular to any given road. I dislike traffic as well but since I commute on my bike, I frankly I have just gotten used to traffic

I'm just looking for a ride with fellow riders!
Let me know a couple days in advance for a day ride on the weekend and I'll see if I can make it. I'm out close to Tracy, but the Peninsula is home.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #3968
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_t View Post
What are you riding? BMW MOA NorCal is doing their annual hoo ha up in the Sierras this weekend. Not really a dirt ride - more of a club get together with camping. But there will be an organized GS run Saturday morning on some sort of route lacking pavement. I'm going to stick a toe in and see what it's all about.
That sounds intriguing. I'm on a GSA, so I guess I'd fit in. Got a link?

EDIT: I think I found it, and it will be at Finnon Lake, but looks like only for members?

Right now I'm leaning towards heading up 4 to close to Vallecito and doing the Crandall Peak Trail. Seems easy enough and only 30 miles. It will dump me out on 108 where I can either find a campground or head up one of the other trails there in Stanislaus to hang out for the night.

longtallsally screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 01:35 PM
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #3969
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
That sounds intriguing. I'm on a GSA, so I guess I'd fit in. Got a link?

EDIT: I think I found it, and it will be at Finnon Lake, but looks like only for members?

Right now I'm leaning towards heading up 4 to close to Vallecito and doing the Crandall Peak Trail. Seems easy enough and only 30 miles. It will dump me out on 108 where I can either find a campground or head up one of the other trails there in Stanislaus to hang out for the night.
Yep - Finnon Lake. They have an organized ride heading up Saturday morning from around Livermore, but then you'd miss the GS ride on Saturday morning. Because of this I'm heading up Friday after workish, get there in time for dinner and to set up my tent.

Re members, I thought the same thing - turns out it's actually the opposite. The way this NorCal group works, you have to attend a few things they do as a non-member first, before you can even apply to join. I emailed one of the organizers and he seemed friendly enough and very encouraging of me to show up.

Not being the most die-hard camper, I like the idea of this sort of outing - it's camping, but with facilities nearby and food that I don't have to schlep or prepare. Figure if I like the peeps I meet at this, might check out the big BMW national rally up in Bend in July - I think a lot of these folks go to that.
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #3970
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

I'm diggin' it. I'll send you a PM and see what's the what. I can roll reasonably early from work.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #3971
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailjammer View Post
Damn Kaia! Sorry to hear about all that. I hope you swapped over the Trailjammer Designs Exhaust Guard. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you. good luck on getting the new ride setup. :)
Yup, he pulled it , I saw it sitting on the "Farkle"stack. . Kaia, glad to be of assistance. I enjoyed meeting you and I'm looking forward to seein the "New" Ride.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #3972
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Very true. Also 1 is a cop magnet.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #3973
ibthomson
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Link to some good trails in the Peninsula?

Hi all... please forgive my seeming inability to use the search functionality.. but I'm trying to find some fun trails to explore this weekend in the peninsula. Could someone point me to where they might be some on the forum?

I'm running dual sport tires at the moment, but would love to begin to find some challenging and off the beaten path stuff. I'd welcome some company!

-Ian
ibthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #3974
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibthomson View Post
Hi all... please forgive my seeming inability to use the search functionality.. but I'm trying to find some fun trails to explore this weekend in the peninsula. Could someone point me to where they might be some on the forum?

I'm running dual sport tires at the moment, but would love to begin to find some challenging and off the beaten path stuff. I'd welcome some company!

-Ian
There are no motorcycle dirt trails on the peninsula that I'm aware of.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #3975
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 849
Laugh Lodi Cycle Bowl ...

We're riding out from San Francisco today to watch flat track racing at the Lodi Cycle Bowl ...

Anyway, kick stands up at 18th Street and Folsom at 1 pm TODAY!
We hope to be at the track by 4pm ... Racing at 5:30 pm ...

BAARCers and ADVers always welcome!

see you in the paddock,
-- SFMCjohn

PS: Showing the Dutch Grand Prix on SUNDAY at 4pm at the SFMC ... BAARCers and ADVers always welcome!
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 04:18 AM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote