ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #91
Visian
Look out!
 
Visian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: ATL/WNC
Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it's ironic that 4 rich white people rode very expensive motorbike to an orphanage in Peru and delivered a single laptop (and did a little bit of work)
Correction... they flew most of the way there on an even more expensive airplane.

OK, Neale will kill me for that one.
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #92
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: New England
Oddometer: 7,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_404 View Post
I think that anyone who wears that on his head, schould lose his right to vote ..... and I'm from Holland.
Agreed.

I watched the first two episodes and have the third one saved on the dvr. What a disappointment that they couldn't find people who knew how to ride? I'm still trying to figure out what the point is but all the fake drama is really annoying - to the point where now I've got to see the third episode.

After seeing the footage at the BMW performance center I'd have never taken those folks out into the desert unless it was in a land cruiser. Still, as entertainment goes there's far worse stuff on TV. I liked it when Tits Mcgee wiped out getting in the pool - definite highlight.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #93
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it's ironic that 4 rich white people rode very expensive motorbike to an orphanage in Peru and delivered a single laptop (and did a little bit of work)

My God, could they have more friggin' drama....
What difference does their color make? As for the "expensive motorbikes" BMW was the sponsor, so it isn't surprising they didn't ride KLRs.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #94
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
What difference does their color make? As for the "expensive motorbikes" BMW was the sponsor, so it isn't surprising they didn't ride KLRs.

Jim
OK, you didn't get the irony then
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #95
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
OK, you didn't get the irony then
No, I got a twisted view of what you think is ironic.

Would the show have been better with an African American, a Jew and an Asian?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #96
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
No, I got a twisted view of what you think is ironic.

Would the show have been better with an African American, a Jew and an Asian?

Jim
If they were rich, no. Don't focus on the 'white' comment, focus on the fact that for them it was this great heroic event and at the end of the day, they delivered a single laptop to the orphanage. They made a big deal about this being some great humanitarian effort when in actual fact, it was just about making a 'reality' TV show.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #97
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
If they were rich, no. Don't focus on the 'white' comment, focus on the fact that for them it was this great heroic event and at the end of the day, they delivered a single laptop to the orphanage. They made a big deal about this being some great humanitarian effort when in actual fact, it was just about making a 'reality' TV show.
Ignoring the "white" comment, it was just another reality show. But, at least it was about motorcycles.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #98
Martin_404
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 63
The fact that they are white does play a role here, so ease down on the sensitivity.
I can asure you that afterward these orphans said to each other "did you see all the expensive stuff these white people owned?"

I'll go one step further and even suggest that if these orphans had blond hair and blue eyes, it would be a nationwide story in the US media and truckloads of charity money would be streaming in right now.
If it had been 4 rich latino's traveling to Peru on a bike, we would not be having this discussion, because a show like that would not have been comercially interesting enough to get aired.
That would not appeal to the target consumer. (who is ...)

So yes, I do think that them being white, plays a fitting role in the remark about irony from Mercury264
Martin_404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #99
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_404 View Post
The fact that they are white does play a role here, so ease down on the sensitivity.
I can asure you that afterward these orphans said to each other "did you see all the expensive stuff these white people owned?"

I'll go one step further and even suggest that if these orphans had blond hair and blue eyes, it would be a nationwide story in the US media and truckloads of charity money would be streaming in right now.
If it had been 4 rich latino's traveling to Peru on a bike, we would not be having this discussion, because a show like that would not have been comercially interesting enough to get aired.
That would not appeal to the target consumer. (who is ...)

So yes, I do think that them being white, plays a fitting role in the remark about irony from Mercury264
My experience with kids, any kids, is that the color of the skin plays little in their thoughts about others unless the adults teach them bigotry. More than likely they see the riders as rich Americans. It is the guilty feeling white people, and the bigoted that tend to make a big deal over race IMHO.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #100
Martin_404
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 63
I do not see color, people tell me I'm white and I beleive them because I ride a BMW GS

I feel like I'm trying to explain irony to a German or something
Martin_404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #101
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_404 View Post
I do not see color, people tell me I'm white and I beleive them because I ride a BMW GS

I feel like I'm trying to explain irony to a German or something
I do not think there is the word irony in German!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #102
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Ignoring the "white" comment, it was just another reality show. But, at least it was about motorcycles.

Jim
Emphasis very very much on 'reality' (or the drama filled 'reality' that TV folks seem to think we need to watch)

And talking of irony....I did laugh when the woman fell on her arse getting into the pool (oh look, in a bikini no less)...
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #103
RiderLoverTraveler
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: USA
Oddometer: 2
Unreal

It is really amazing to me the lack of information and knowledge on this thread. I support and respect people's opinions, but it would be nice if they were backed up with a little knowledge.

It was obvious from the beginning this was a Reality TV Show...therefore, REAL people...not actors. How did that get by some of you folks?

How does a production company "manufacture" sand storms, freezing fog/rain, and crazy traffic situations? That was real drama, not fake. However, damn impressive if they could! I want to book them for my next party.

I was taught never to count other people's money; yep, it was obvious the doctor chick was rich...really rich (good for her!)...but I couldn't tell from what I saw on the show about the other guys, and it seems everyone on this thread is "anti-rich." What's up with that? The orphanage has received GREAT exposure and coverage, as well as countless supplies, and yes, one laptop, but that is one laptop more than they had before. I am sure their donations have increased, and that is a good thing!

Real men cry and aren't ashamed of it. And real men are man enough to wear goofy hats if they choose.
Real men get caught off guard when exposed to striking poverty for the first time and don't always handle that well.
Real women can ride bikes, be a go-getter, never give up AND look good while doing it if she want by putting on a little make-up; I see nothing wrong with that.

Bottom line, to me, is that everyone on this Thread not only took time to watch the show (maybe not all of it, but some if not most) and THEN took time to log onto this Thread and comment about it. Says a lot to me. When I dislike a show so much, or anything for that matter, I generally forget about it; I certainly don't take time (and lots of time from what I see on this thread) to waste more energy on it. But that is just me.

LET THE BITTERNESS BEGIN to this post!
RiderLoverTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #104
kingby
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: The Rock
Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderLoverTraveler View Post
It is really amazing to me the lack of information and knowledge on this thread. I support and respect people's opinions, but it would be nice if they were backed up with a little knowledge.

It was obvious from the beginning this was a Reality TV Show...therefore, REAL people...not actors. How did that get by some of you folks?
Pot... meet kettle... how do you do?

Not sure if you are serious or not. The last half of your post makes me think serious. I agree they cannot control weather, but the producers absolutely choose personalities, and put them in situations of their choosing, while strongly manipulating the reactions of the participant (if not outright scripting).

Then they edit the footage to make it into what ever angle they want. Reality shows are far from REAL.

Edit: His hat sucked
kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #105
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderLoverTraveler View Post
It is really amazing to me the lack of information and knowledge on this thread. I support and respect people's opinions, but it would be nice if they were backed up with a little knowledge.

It was obvious from the beginning this was a Reality TV Show...therefore, REAL people...not actors. How did that get by some of you folks?

How does a production company "manufacture" sand storms, freezing fog/rain, and crazy traffic situations? That was real drama, not fake. However, damn impressive if they could! I want to book them for my next party.

I was taught never to count other people's money; yep, it was obvious the doctor chick was rich...really rich (good for her!)...but I couldn't tell from what I saw on the show about the other guys, and it seems everyone on this thread is "anti-rich." What's up with that? The orphanage has received GREAT exposure and coverage, as well as countless supplies, and yes, one laptop, but that is one laptop more than they had before. I am sure their donations have increased, and that is a good thing!

Real men cry and aren't ashamed of it. And real men are man enough to wear goofy hats if they choose.
Real men get caught off guard when exposed to striking poverty for the first time and don't always handle that well.
Real women can ride bikes, be a go-getter, never give up AND look good while doing it if she want by putting on a little make-up; I see nothing wrong with that.

Bottom line, to me, is that everyone on this Thread not only took time to watch the show (maybe not all of it, but some if not most) and THEN took time to log onto this Thread and comment about it. Says a lot to me. When I dislike a show so much, or anything for that matter, I generally forget about it; I certainly don't take time (and lots of time from what I see on this thread) to waste more energy on it. But that is just me.

LET THE BITTERNESS BEGIN to this post!

While I agree with most of what you say, I have to wonder about your association with the show?

None the less, thanks for posting your opposing opinion, but do not associate ALL of us with your observations. Some of us actually are on your side, at least in part.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014