Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 105 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #1711
andy from MO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
My twins.. well cousins.. Martin J-40 2nd year of production.. which I cant remember off the top of my head.. and His redheaded cousin from Hawaii a Goodall Standard with a sinker redwood top.

Goodalls are a fine guitar. I LOVE mine!
andy from MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #1712
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
Is that a Collings D2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post

'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #1713
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Let me know if it works; I'd be willing to drive down there.
Apparently selling your soul is not enough. You still have to practice your ass off!
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #1714
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,079
I bought my dad a 5 string fender banjo for fathers day. Unfortunately he and I share the same musical talent, but he's happily plinking and plonking away.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #1715
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
Apparently selling your soul is not enough. You still have to practice your ass off!
damn.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #1716
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Let me know if it works; I'd be willing to drive down there.
Quote:
Funny this all comes up. You can watch the following or don't. My feelings won't be hurt. But last week I got in a new shipment of guitars that are modeled after the old Stella's and I made a little video for my stores FB page. One of the guitars is a parlor size and I mention that "if you want some of that old tone that Robert Johnson had, this is your guitar."

And then I add "Of course, if you really want to sound like Robert Johnson, you need to be able to play like Robert Johnson."

The truth sucks, sometimes. Good guitars, though.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #1717
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,079
I am finally fiiiiiiinaaaaaalllly getting to where I can plonk along without wincing constantly and make something that doesn't sound horrible.

And I can play money. My life is complete.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #1718
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,130
Hook me up with a parlor, Josjor!
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #1719
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post
Hook me up with a parlor, Josjor!
They are pretty sweet for the money. I've spent a little more time with it here in the shop and it does have a great mid tone and some serious bark when you do the hard finger pluck thing.

Side note: I do own a music store and I do sell guitars. In the interest of not getting banished to the Vendors thread and also because I'm actually here as an enthusiast, not a salesman, I don't really advertise here. I'd be glad to hook you up if you'd like to PM me.

Side, side note: Some things I can treat you better than the online boys. Lower priced items like this RK I don't really have much room on. If you're Amazon Prime you can get it for $199.99 with free shipping. I can meet the price, but not the free shipping. Some guys don't mind the extra because they're supporting an indy and fellow ADV. I appreciate that. But I also appreciate that I'll be about $30.00 more and a buck is a buck so no offense if you go the Amazon route.

Side, side, side note: MODS, please don't ban me to vendors. I wouldn't have replied if I hadn't been asked. This answer is also an attempt to inform other followers of this thread that if they want something that I happen to show off here, they can PM me and I'll do my best to oblige. In other words, I don't want to do business publicly on this forum and page. Thanks for your consideration. : )
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #1720
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,524

I went on a tour of the Gibson Guitar factory while on a trip to Clarksdale and Memphis this past week. I will never complain about the cost of an American made guitar again. The differences in construction by Epiphone and Gibson were explained and it made a lot of sense. Epiphones are good guitars, but there is a difference in materials, construction and electronics.
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #1721
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:

Epiphones are good guitars, but there is a difference in materials, construction and electronics.
Do you recall the difference in materials? Anything specifically about the species or grade of wood?
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #1722
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney View Post
Do you recall the difference in materials? Anything specifically about the species or grade of wood?
For the Les Paul's the biggest difference is that Epiphone uses a thin maple veneer on the cap instead of a solid maple cap. I think it's about 1 mm thick on a "mahogany" (Nato) cap. The body is also Nato/Eastern Mahogany instead of Honduran Mahogany. Some Elite models do have a maple cap though. I'm pretty sure they source their maple in Asia as well. The body is more often multi-piece as well as the neck's. Usually 3-6 pieces. The head and neck are separate pieces on an Epi. So you have 2 and sometimes 3 pieces not including the fingerboard. The other big difference is finish. Epi's use a polyurethane instead of the labor intensive nitrocellulose lacquer.

Here's a tour of the Epiphone Qing Dao factory.

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe...y-tour/EQ.html
http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe...y-tour/GQ.html

Here's the veneer.

Jeffy screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 11:12 PM
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:57 AM   #1723
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

I'm sure the materials are better. IMHO, the craftsmanship isn't. The last USA LP I had in was about a three year old and had a new MSRP of around $4k. The output jack was attached crooked, you could see tape lines on the side of the neck, and the head stock's alleged inlay (looked almost like a decal) looked to have filler around it. It played and sounded fine, but part of that $4k sticker should be outstanding fit, finish, and attention to detail.

I could grab just about any $500.00 guitar on my wall that was made in China, Korea, or elsewhere and it had as good or better fit and finish. The $4k sticker Gibson failed to impress. Not wanting to start a war here, but it just seems to me that for $4k a guitar should be pretty damned flawless, particularly when competitors guitars that retail for 1/8 the price often are.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #1724
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
I'm sure the materials are better. IMHO, the craftsmanship isn't. The last USA LP I had in was about a three year old and had a new MSRP of around $4k. The output jack was attached crooked, you could see tape lines on the side of the neck, and the head stock's alleged inlay (looked almost like a decal) looked to have filler around it. It played and sounded fine, but part of that $4k sticker should be outstanding fit, finish, and attention to detail.

I could grab just about any $500.00 guitar on my wall that was made in China, Korea, or elsewhere and it had as good or better fit and finish. The $4k sticker Gibson failed to impress. Not wanting to start a war here, but it just seems to me that for $4k a guitar should be pretty damned flawless, particularly when competitors guitars that retail for 1/8 the price often are.
I would echo this....Last guitar I bought I was looking at real Fenders, and then Squire...not even getting into the parts, but the way they are attached....the squire was just screwed together better....there was even a stripped head on a brand new American strat that I looked at....asked them if it was new...yes....look at this screw.

Had the same experience when I bought my LP...looked at the Gibson, and the Epi's....bought the epi...it actually sounded better...but it was used and that puts an entire new factor in....you never know how the guy before you took care of it....calling something you bought used crap I think is quite unfair....it is used, who knows what happened to it....now fresh stuff out of the box...something different.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #1725
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I..but it was used and that puts an entire new factor in....you never know how the guy before you took care of it....calling something you bought used crap I think is quite unfair....it is used, who knows what happened to it....now fresh stuff out of the box...something different.
I would agree, but just to be clear, all the defects on the LP I mentioned are NOT something the owner could do (tape marks, crooked output jack, poor inlays). These were things done at the factory.

I also think this decline in craftsmanship is a more of a recent thing.....in the last ten years or so. I just got in a '91 USA Strat that is 100% factory fresh (I've known the owner for years and he doesn't mess with things) and it's construction and finish is pretty much flawless. I've also seen LP's from decades ago that fit this description.

To me the USA Gibson and Fender product has sort of become like Harley: "It's got our logo on it, so it must be worth several times more than similar competitors products."

I'm a bluegrasser and Gibson's cheapest A mandolin is a perfect example. It retails for $2,500 and doesn't have any figured maple or (I don't believe) a solid top. http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acou...A-9/Specs.aspx

For half that money you can get a Loar F model that is made to Lloyd Loar's original specs, has AAA solid spruce top, AAA flamed maple sides and back, nitrocellulose lacquer, etc.
http://www.theloar.com/products/mand...olin-lm-700-vs

josjor screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 05:45 AM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: