ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #9121
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,063
wifey and I went for a ride yesterday, rode to breakfast and then cruised around on backroads before it got too hot. Was gonna got grab the WV TOR tag but decided not too.

I have the wife's XT set up for commuting. I may slap a small top case on it for some dry storage and I cant wait to burn off these stupid track masters. I look like an elephant on a bicycle but 73mpg is too good to pass up. Might pick up a Clark tank for it, getting gas every two days gets old. I slapped an old magnetic tank bag on it, my Rox risers off the WR, my old vstrom mirrors and cranked the preload up all the way on the shock, slid a sheep skin on it too. That seat is a freaking torture device. Flushed and put clean fluid in the front brake. Ready for commuter duty

the beast

IMG_1971 by Rider_wv, on Flickr
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #9122
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
wifey and I went for a ride yesterday, rode to breakfast and then cruised around on backroads before it got too hot. Was gonna got grab the WV TOR tag but decided not too.

I have the wife's XT set up for commuting. I may slap a small top case on it for some dry storage and I cant wait to burn off these stupid track masters. I look like an elephant on a bicycle but 73mpg is too good to pass up. Might pick up a Clark tank for it, getting gas every two days gets old. I slapped an old magnetic tank bag on it, my Rox risers off the WR, my old vstrom mirrors and cranked the preload up all the way on the shock, slid a sheep skin on it too. That seat is a freaking torture device. Flushed and put clean fluid in the front brake. Ready for commuter duty

the beast

How far of a commute? You go down rt 2?
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #9123
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvridgerider View Post
How far of a commute? You go down rt 2?
~55miles round trip, I go down and hit the bridge then up 35 to plantation. Rt 35 sucks on the little bike. Damn trucker ran off the road today, coming at me, he bailed out a damn giant pot hole on the berm and blew broken asphalt and gravel all over me, I took a big rock right to the left knee cap.

Little bike tops out right at 70(GPS) with me on it but gets blown around by rigs pretty bad.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:43 AM   #9124
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
~55miles round trip, I go down and hit the bridge then up 35 to plantation. Rt 35 sucks on the little bike. Damn trucker ran off the road today, coming at me, he bailed out a damn giant pot hole on the berm and blew broken asphalt and gravel all over me, I took a big rock right to the left knee cap.

Little bike tops out right at 70(GPS) with me on it but gets blown around by rigs pretty bad.
Go up Staves Branch and Evergreen and it will take you out at the top of the hill on Plantation. This way you avoid 35. I don't even ride on 35.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #9125
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Go up Staves Branch and Evergreen and it will take you out at the top of the hill on Plantation. This way you avoid 35. I don't even ride on 35.
You can actually turn off 35 about a mile from the bridge on honeycut road and its gravel to evergreen, then hit white pine, barton chapel and long hollow and ride gravel all the way to work. Actually I will probably go home that way lots of DS options. Dunlavy, Judy road, hambrick ridge, potts creek, mill stone=gravel and ATV trail on the north side of plantation all the way to work. I am usually running late in the mornings so I need a very direct route
Old 06-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #9126
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You can actually turn off 35 about a mile from the bridge on honeycut road and its gravel to evergreen, then hit white pine, barton chapel and long hollow and ride gravel all the way to work. Actually I will probably go home that way lots of DS options. Dunlavy, Judy road, hambrick ridge, potts creek, mill stone=gravel and ATV trail on the north side of plantation all the way to work. I am usually running late in the mornings so I need a very direct route
Bob and I went over into Cabell county a couple of weeks ago. Found some four wheeler trails.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #9127
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,368
any one out there have an 18" ds tyre for cheap
tdrrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #9128
bholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:

the beast

I seen a critter hit on the road today that looked alot like that bike
Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #9129
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Might be done riding

I am thinking about selling the bike and getting out of riding. With the family and all it is getting harder to find time, or going riding is an all day event. I will probably get back into road cycling.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #9130
bholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
hey guys, here's a nice find on CL... 'Berg 390 w/ street title http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3892418694.html
Old 07-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #9131
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

saw a big group of KLR's on 33 Saturday evening, heading east between ripley and Spencer. Anyone on here? Prob 8-10 of them. I couldnt cuont I was distracted by all the milk crates
Old 07-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #9132
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 4,197
WVhillbilly, it was good talking to you Saturday evening. Thanks for the spring water.

There is no odometer when it comes to pie - VACommuter
$5 Smug Mug coupon
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #9133
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
I am thinking about selling the bike and getting out of riding. With the family and all it is getting harder to find time, or going riding is an all day event. I will probably get back into road cycling.
I definitely hear you. Little ones at home/work full time/college park time/life/etc. Any free time is precious and few, and breaking away for a full day gets harder and harder. Good luck with whichever way you decide.
Falcon86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #9134
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
let m e know if you do start back down the roadie path. I still want to pick one up. Might head to Charleston Bicycle Friday, or Johns, really dont like Trek though.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #9135
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,110
You should really buy that Bamboo frame on ADV.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote