User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Rockpharmer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
My First Dump

Had my first true dump earlier this morning; going into my 3rd summer of riding. And I say first true as I did drop my bike once at the gas station trying to slow turn into the air station. About 100 miles into my 400 mile ride back home from a weekend visit to my parents in central PA I washed out in a pile of pea gravel turning right at a country crossroads shortly after crossing into NY; paved road, just a pile of gravel that I didn't spot until it threw me down. Maybe going 20ish MPH, but honestly I have no idea. Strangely, I don't remember sliding myself.. Once I knew I was down it seems like the next thing I remember was being on my feet undoing my helmet. Thankfully there were no other cars or bikes from behind or any other direction into the intersection. When it happened at least. Within minutes the first car pulled up, stopped and offered help. The 50-something year old wife (gathered the husband must be injured himself) hops out to help me lift the bike back up (I really need to learn that skill myself). Once we get it upright, I turn around to find another car stopped, a 70ish year old woman asking if she should call for help, then stopping to personally greet the first couple; everyone was on their way to church. I asked them to say one for me. And at that same time, a flat bed truck just happens to roll by. He stays to help me give the bike a once over then follows me a quarter mile up the road to a truck stop to help remove my mangled right peg and brake lever. Damage done: the aforementioned peg and rear brake lever, front brake lever bent up but operational, K&N Forcewinder air cleaner busted up a bit, but still held on solidly, scuffed up headers. My Dainese textile 2-piece suit truly paid for itself: a small tear on my right knee and some scuff on my right hip and forearm. A minor bruise on my right hip and a scrape on my wrist from the only exposed skin I was showing (shorty gloves). Besides having to ride the rest of the way home to VT with my right leg tucked back onto my passenger peg and no rear brake, the rest of ride was uneventful. Except those thunderstorms during the last 100 miles.

Thanks for reading. Just needed to share that with someone

Rocky
1999 Buell Cyclone

Rockpharmer screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 04:37 PM
Rockpharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662

This works
Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
qkenf4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
ya. only one problem with that bike. its small (low center of gravity) and has crash bars to hang onto/hold it off the ground..... plus the kickstand was down and you know after a wreck youre not gonna remember to put it down so youre prob. gonna go the other way atleast once.....
qkenf4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
Rockpharmer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Wife's response, paraphrased: "well, I don't think you should get one of those offroad bikes if you can't handle a little gravel in the street."
Rockpharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpharmer View Post
Wife's response, "well, I don't think you should get one of those offroad bikes if you can't handle a little gravel in the street."
I found that to be hysterical....zaZinnnggg!

: :

glad you're ok.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Nice for you so many folk stopped and offered help. Seems your guardian angel was active!

BTDT myself. It can happen so fast there is no awareness it even happened. Did it once many years ago in a friends gravel driveway, with him watching me. He said my expression didn't even chage. Like I had no realization that I'd gone down. Since I seemed to have no idea I had, I'd agree.

It was a little spooky. He wouldn't let me up and kept turning my head for some reason. When my helmet came off, he continued playing with my head. Then he showed me the helmet. One of the rocks was pointy, and had punched a hole right through the side of the helmet shell. My guardian angel was busy that time as well.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote