User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,832
Craigslist project bike pricing

I have noticed an odd trend of late on my local CL. The ad usually goes something like this.

2005 Yamaha R6 Been down and needs new fairings and headlight. Parts are available on ebay for $1000 10000 miles, runs great, blah blah blah $3500.

In my area an 05 R6 goes for about $4000. So if I get this one and want to fix it, by the time I'm done I'm going to be at the exact same price as if I bought one in good condition in the first place. Just doesn't compute to me.

Even if they are going to make a streetfighter out of it a $500 dollar savings doesn't seem like enough of a bargain to warrant buying the bike over a known good one.

I would much rather go to an insurance auction and get one for say $1200 to turn into a fighter.

Anyone else notice this or can point out the flaw in my logic to me?
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #2
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
The flaw in logic is that you dont have the self interest of the seller.

Just send him a lowball, to annoy them if nothing else.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,377
I hate "runs great, just needs new battery and carbs cleaned." Well, put in a battery and clean the carbs, you lazy fuck.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I hate "runs great, just needs new battery and carbs cleaned." Well, put in a battery and clean the carbs, you lazy fuck.
Agree 100%!
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,832
Amen to that!!!! Even saw that posted on a bike from a dealership (car dealership that got a bike on trade but a dealership none the less)

You would think they could grasp the concept of spending a couple hundred to get it sorted and then being able to ask quite a bit more.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post

One has to ask if the carbs need to be cleaned how could it run great???
Old 06-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
One has to ask if the carbs need to be cleaned how could it run great???
It's more of a "runs great... in theory" kind of situation.
Paebr332 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
didn't you know that craigs list adds have nothing to due with the kbb price of the bike.
i am always amazed the the sellers don't realize their bike won't sell for more than $1000+
above kbb. i have seen bikes on cl for over a year.

ran great when parked....2+ years ago
Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
I have noticed an odd trend of late on my local CL. The ad usually goes something like this.

2005 Yamaha R6 Been down and needs new fairings and headlight. Parts are available on ebay for $1000 10000 miles, runs great, blah blah blah $3500.

In my area an 05 R6 goes for about $4000. So if I get this one and want to fix it, by the time I'm done I'm going to be at the exact same price as if I bought one in good condition in the first place. Just doesn't compute to me.

Even if they are going to make a streetfighter out of it a $500 dollar savings doesn't seem like enough of a bargain to warrant buying the bike over a known good one.

I would much rather go to an insurance auction and get one for say $1200 to turn into a fighter.

Title's branded.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 822
Quote:

How's that different from any other used vehicle ad? It isn't up to the seller to determine what constitutes value to you or to anybody else. Don't like it, don't inquire. So simple.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,672
Quote:
Amen to that!!!! Even saw that posted on a bike from a dealership (car dealership that got a bike on trade but a dealership none the less)

You would think they could grasp the concept of spending a couple hundred to get it sorted and then being able to ask quite a bit more.
There was a local Honda dealer that had one of those on a Honda- an absolutely cherry '80s VFR that had been left to sit too long.

Probably the bike will never be worth the labor $$$ it'd take for the dealer to make it right.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
I don't see your point. If similar bike in better condition is sold on CL for $XXX
then whats the problem of listing yours for $XXX - price for parts needed.

Why I, as a seller, should invest more into the bike that I'm already selling, if at the end, every fucker out there is still gonna low ball me?

Don't like the price, move on, its an agreement of both parties.

I hate these people with self entitlement complex, who try to low ball expecting a cherry for a price of a junker.

Edit: Not only that, but if the bike needs parts or service, I'd rather get bike for cheaper and buy parts and work on it myself, knowing that the parts that are broken I will replace with quality parts, not some e-bay junk that will fail on me two weeks after the purchase. Same with service if its basic stuff like old battery, clogged up carb, etc.

Vulfy screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 12:13 PM
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,627
And keeping with the Craigslist theme. Ladies and Gentlemen...I give you your Craigslist Idiot of the Day!

hooliken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
And keeping with the Craigslist theme. Ladies and Gentlemen...I give you your Craigslist Idiot of the Day!

That sounds like Virginia to me!

I used to look for motorcycles and mountain bikes on Craig's list about once a week. Everything was either way over priced or a piece of shit so I stopped looking.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
I don't see your point. If similar bike in better condition is sold on CL for $XXX
then whats the problem of listing yours for $XXX - price for parts needed.

Why I, as a seller, should invest more into the bike that I'm already selling, if at the end, every fucker out there is still gonna low ball me?

Don't like the price, move on, its an agreement of both parties.

I hate these people with self entitlement complex, who try to low ball expecting a cherry for a price of a junker.

Edit: Not only that, but if the bike needs parts or service, I'd rather get bike for cheaper and buy parts and work on it myself, knowing that the parts that are broken I will replace with quality parts, not some e-bay junk that will fail on me two weeks after the purchase. Same with service if its basic stuff like old battery, clogged up carb, etc.
Amen to that.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote